• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is a man allowed to have more than one wife in Islam?

Aquitaine

syberpriend, where are you getting your information from?

I heard he engaged Aisha at 6, and "consumated" his marriage with her at 9.

Do you have information of her menstrual status when she was engage, or married to Mo'?

:confused:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Do you have information of her menstrual status when she was engage, or married to Mo'?

Sadly, Paul, you will get a wide range of ages for Aisha at the time of her engagement and consummation of her marriage. Unapologetic Muslim sources give the age at 6 for engagement and 9 for consummation. Apologetic Muslims, who are slightly embarrassed by this, will give far different numbers. Personally, I go with Bukhari and have not heard any reason to doubt his numbers. From my viewpoint, it is just age old revisionist tactics. Given the reality that child marriages to very old men are hardly unheard of in the Muslim world it can only be assumed that many Muslims take the 6/9 numbers for granted.

Last edited:

Aquitaine

Sadly, Paul, you will get a wide range of ages for Aisha at the time of her engagement and consummation of her marriage. Unapologetic Muslim sources give the age at 6 for engagement and 9 for consummation. Apologetic Muslims, who are slightly embarrassed by this, will give far different numbers. Personally, I go with Bukhari and have not heard any reason to doubt his numbers. From my viewpoint, it is just age old revisionist tactics. Given the reality that child marriages to very old men are hardly unheard of in the Muslim world it can only be assumed that many Muslims take the 6/9 numbers for granted.

I too look at the Sahih Bukhari Hadiths, after all, they're Sahih for a reason. I'm personally throwing in on the 6/9 age, although I have heard *gasp* it as 7/9.

Not only that but there's Sahih Hadiths from Bukhari which depict Aisha still playing with her toys when she moved in with Mo', and one instance where (if I remember correctly) she was with some children playing, and Mo' came over to cover her eyes because the behavour of the other children was something "not meant for a child's eyes" or something along that matter. This, all after she moved in with him.

Of course, I've had my time debating with Muslims about this, and I don't do it to demonize them or anything, instead just as defense of what appears to be historical fact.

syberpriend

Y' know, I don't even think it has been "officially" confirmed how many wives Mo' had.

I've read sources which state 9, 11, 12 and 13 so far. Apparently he had 9 at the time of his death, and had 11 wives at one time, but the total amount is still unknown as far as I know.

:shrug:

Total is 11 wives. all in his life

syberpriend

I think ur information is in-correct Paul. Aisha was engaged to Jew at the age of 6, and after that engagement was broken, and was engaged with Muhammad(PBUH), but marriage was done when she was 9, and in some countries still, the puberty of girl comes at early age, specially in warm and hot countries, in cold countries, it normaly comes at the age of 15+

syberpriend

Its not something of embarassment, y u feel embarass when lots of western old guys go to Thailand and Philipines and take 8,9,10 yr old gals for their plaesure?
Already the reason is provided to Paul. about Aisha's age and puberty age, and when she was finaly wed.

syberpriend

I too look at the Sahih Bukhari Hadiths, after all, they're Sahih for a reason. I'm personally throwing in on the 6/9 age, although I have heard *gasp* it as 7/9.

Not only that but there's Sahih Hadiths from Bukhari which depict Aisha still playing with her toys when she moved in with Mo', and one instance where (if I remember correctly) she was with some children playing, and Mo' came over to cover her eyes because the behavour of the other children was something "not meant for a child's eyes" or something along that matter. This, all after she moved in with him.

Of course, I've had my time debating with Muslims about this, and I don't do it to demonize them or anything, instead just as defense of what appears to be historical fact.

I think u got something mistaken here for incident, and I doubt your source of information as well, coz its all mixed up, and far from reality and authenticity.
U got the meaning of closing her eyes from ur own side, which is not correct , u dont have to paste ur assumptions here, and change the course of subject.

Aquitaine

I think ur information is in-correct Paul. Aisha was engaged to Jew at the age of 6, and after that engagement was broken, and was engaged with Muhammad(PBUH), but marriage was done when she was 9, and in some countries still, the puberty of girl comes at early age, specially in warm and hot countries, in cold countries, it normaly comes at the age of 15+

You got any credible scientific data which suggests Females from Arabia mature faster?

Also, do you think 9 years old is old enough for marriage? Would you marry a 9 year old?

Aquitaine

I think u got something mistaken here for incident, and I doubt your source of information as well, coz its all mixed up, and far from reality and authenticity.
U got the meaning of closing her eyes from ur own side, which is not correct , u dont have to paste ur assumptions here, and change the course of subject.

What's the "correct" source for those Hadiths then, and the "correct" meaning? Do you know which ones I'm talking about?

syberpriend

You got any credible scientific data which suggests Females from Arabia mature faster?

Also, do you think 9 years old is old enough for marriage? Would you marry a 9 year old?

Girls and Puberty - A Guide to Whats Normal
Girls entering puberty by the age of six - but are drugs the answer? | Mail Online
Puberty In Girls

Wel, it was in early traditoion, Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) have wife older thn him, rem his 1st wife, 15 yr older thn him and 1 wife was around 70-80 as well,
The reason behind wedding with Aisha, was that she was among the few muslims, who narated the life and sayings of Prophet Muhammad, and coz of her, we come to know many things, as she was young, and her memory was sharp, she recorded many incidents of life of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh).
Hope this clarify everything.

syberpriend

What's the "correct" source for those Hadiths then, and the "correct" meaning? Do you know which ones I'm talking about?

Yeah I know which one u r talking about ,
actually the rule for quoting hadith is, whenever u quote any Hadith, uve to mention the reference, and Hadith #, with the book and chapter as well, coz many hypocrates and non-muslims, who are among enemies of Islam created false hadiths, which reached to non-muslims, and muslims as well,and coz of this lots of confusion and misunderstanding is created towards Islam . So kindly always give fulll reference so we can kow ur claim,
Thanks

Fatihah

No, you are presuming. I would not be "letting the Woman suffer" by not marrying her. In relation to the scenario, you've gotta think what would she be suffering from?

]

Taken from the thread "Muslims: Can you explain jihad?" Post 381

In responce to whether or not I would practice Polygyny if it was defined as a "need" for the Woman, then (as I've just stated above) my answer would be "no", I would not "help" her in that regard (because in that scenario, "help" would be the Polygyny). Get it?

There, is that any better?

We can see clearly that there is no presumption, but a fact. That fact is proven from your own words that you would not marry a co-wife if it was needed. How sad it is that you would let a woman suffer. Your classic strawman attempts to respond with, "but I'm saying it's not a need" is irrelevant to the fact that when asked if it was, you would not marry her, therby leaving her to suffer. So you can keep on persisting with the strawman and saying, "but it's not a need", if you like, but that does not change the fact that when asked if it is a need, you would not. Yet, you somehow think that by poking fun at islam, perhaps it would divert our attention from your lack of consideration for women. That perhaps we won't notice just how foul your compassion is for a woman's well being. You think you're making islam look bad, however, your own words prove to the contrary and shows who in fact possesses a belief which is most injust towards woman. Just another non-muslim's true colors coming to surface.

rcscwc

Beside, nameless plz focus on topic, its about women in hinduism, not in Islam, so dont put Islam here, we are not discussin, its against thread rule, which can be reported

Please read the title again. It is NOT about Hinduism, but Islam. So please stick to that ONLY, and not go haring after Hindus.

Aquitaine

Fatihah said:
We can see clearly that there is no presumption, but a fact. That fact is proven from your own words that you would not marry a co-wife if it was needed.

Yes, I would not marry a random Woman who needed "Help", instead I would offer assistance in addressing the "help" that she needs. For example, if she needs Food, Water and Shelter, then I could give her all three, without marriage. You are mixing up "Marriage" with "Humanitarian Aid" LOL!

How sad it is that you would let a woman suffer.

See now, how have you come ot this conclusion? Where have I said that I would sit back and allow a Woman to suffer who needed my help? The closest I've said, was that if a Woman needed "help" and that "help" was defined as "marriage" then I wouldn't help her.

But that's no different from me rejecting a marriage proposal from a Woman, infact it is the same thing. As I've said if marriage was all she "needed" then I would not provde it, unless I wanted to marry her. Get it?

See now what you're thinking, is that a Woman who had no home, food, or water came to me, I would turn her away. That's not the case, I don't understand why I have to explain such a simple thing.

Your classic strawman attempts to respond with, "but I'm saying it's not a need" is irrelevant to the fact that when asked if it was, you would not marry her, therby leaving her to suffer.

It isn't a need though, Woman don't approach Men ans say "Dear God, PLEASE help me! I'm dying here, please please marry me right away otherwise my limbs are going to fall off! PLEASE!".

Put it this way, if a Man approached you, and he had no food, water or shelter (from the War scenario) would you marry him? Of course not! Why? Because what good would marrying him do? None.

Instead, you'd give him Water, Food and Shelter. The exact same things that I'd do. So why do you think I'd just "sit back and watch them suffer"?

if it is a need, you would not.

If it was a need? Since when has Marriage been a life-saving need in times of an emergency?

"Quick! She's been hit by a car and she's bleeding to death, someone give her a marriage counsel ASAP!"

Hahahaha!

Last edited:

Aquitaine

Yeah I know which one u r talking about ,
actually the rule for quoting hadith is, whenever u quote any Hadith, uve to mention the reference, and Hadith #, with the book and chapter as well, coz many hypocrates and non-muslims, who are among enemies of Islam created false hadiths, which reached to non-muslims, and muslims as well,and coz of this lots of confusion and misunderstanding is created towards Islam . So kindly always give fulll reference so we can kow ur claim,
Thanks

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 62, # 118 and 163.

syberpriend

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 62, # 118 and 163.

For your reference, complete hadith is here.

Sahih Bukhari Vol 7, Book 62, # 118
Narrated Ursa:

Aisha said, "While the Ethiopians were playing with their small spears, Allah's Apostle screened me behind him and I watched (that display) and kept on watching till I left on my own." So you may estimate of what age a little girl may listen to amusement.

Sahih Bukhari Vol 7, Book 62, # 163
Narrated Aisha:

The Prophet was screening me with his Rida' (garment covering the upper part of the body) while I was looking at the Ethiopians who were playing in the courtyard of the mosque. (I continued watching) till I was satisfied. So you may deduce from this event how a little girl (who has not reached the age of puberty) who is eager to enjoy amusement should be treated in this respect.

So whats the wrong point in it? if u know screen, its a cloth to hide some1, so others can't see, but u may see others.
Hope it clarify

Aquitaine

For your reference, complete hadith is here.

Sahih Bukhari Vol 7, Book 62, # 118
Narrated Ursa:

Aisha said, "While the Ethiopians were playing with their small spears, Allah's Apostle screened me behind him and I watched (that display) and kept on watching till I left on my own." So you may estimate of what age a little girl may listen to amusement.

Sahih Bukhari Vol 7, Book 62, # 163
Narrated Aisha:

The Prophet was screening me with his Rida' (garment covering the upper part of the body) while I was looking at the Ethiopians who were playing in the courtyard of the mosque. (I continued watching) till I was satisfied. So you may deduce from this event how a little girl (who has not reached the age of puberty) who is eager to enjoy amusement should be treated in this respect.

So whats the wrong point in it? if u know screen, its a cloth to hide some1, so others can't see, but u may see others.
Hope it clarify

Because:

"So you may estimate of what age a little girl may listen to amusement."

"So you may deduce from this event how a little girl (who has not reached the age of puberty) who is eager to enjoy amusement should be treated in this respect. "

But didn't you say Aisha had fully matured and reached Puberty when she shacked up with Mo'?

syberpriend

Because:

"So you may estimate of what age a little girl may listen to amusement."

"So you may deduce from this event how a little girl (who has not reached the age of puberty) who is eager to enjoy amusement should be treated in this respect. "

But didn't you say Aisha had fully matured and reached Puberty when she shacked up with Mo'?

Is it mention in the hadith what u extract by urself? y r u changing the meaning by urself and bringing wrong concept here? It was mention already, that the actual wedding held after she reach puberty. whats the special point in this?

Fatihah

See now, how have you come ot this conclusion? Where have I said that I would sit back and allow a Woman to suffer who needed my help? The closest I've said, was that if a Woman needed "help" and that "help" was defined as "marriage" then I wouldn't help her.

Response: Exactly.