• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I support Israel...and why you should, too

Ordeet

Although I am not Jewish, I strongly respect the Jewish people and Israel's right to exist. Why should you support Israel? Read this article to find out.

Why Support Israel?
The Muslim world is mystified as to why Americans support the existence of Israel. Some critics in the Middle East excuse "the American people," while castigating our government. In their eyes, our official policy could not really reflect grassroots opinion. Others misinformed spin elaborate conspiracy theories involving the power of joint Mossad-CIA plots, Old Testament fundamentalists, international bankers, and Jewish control of Hollywood, the media, and the U.S. Congress. But why does an overwhelming majority of Americans (according to most polls, between 60 and 70% of the electorate) support Israel -- and more rather than less so after September 11?

The answer is found in values -- not in brainwashing or because of innate affinity for a particular race or creed. Israel is a democracy. Its opponents are not. Much misinformation abounds on this issue. Libya, Syria, and Iraq are dictatorships, far more brutal than even those in Egypt or Pakistan. But even "parliaments" in Iran, Morocco, Jordan, and on the West Bank are not truly and freely democratic. In all of them, candidates are either screened, preselected, or under coercion. Daily television and newspapers are subject to restrictions and censorship; "elected" leaders are not open to public audit and censure. There is a reason, after all, why in the last decade Americans have dealt with Mr. Netanyahu, Barak, and Sharon -- and no one other than Mr. Arafat, the Husseins in Jordan, the Assads in Syria, Mr. Mubarak, and who knows what in Lebanon, Algeria, and Afghanistan. Death, not voters, brings changes of rule in the Arab world.

The answer is found in values -- not in brainwashing or because of innate affinity for a particular race or creed. Israel is a democracy. Its opponents are not. Much misinformation abounds on this issue. Libya, Syria, and Iraq are dictatorships, far more brutal than even those in Egypt or Pakistan. But even "parliaments" in Iran, Morocco, Jordan, and on the West Bank are not truly and freely democratic. In all of them, candidates are either screened, preselected, or under coercion. Daily television and newspapers are subject to restrictions and censorship; "elected" leaders are not open to public audit and censure. There is a reason, after all, why in the last decade Americans have dealt with Mr. Netanyahu, Barak, and Sharon -- and no one other than Mr. Arafat, the Husseins in Jordan, the Assads in Syria, Mr. Mubarak, and who knows what in Lebanon, Algeria, and Afghanistan. Death, not voters, brings changes of rule in the Arab world.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Ordeet do you think supporting Israel equates to supporting Jews? Are you aware not all Jews support Israel?

Rainbow Mage

Ordeet you want to support Jews- then support the right of non-Zionist Jews to exist without being called self-haters and anti-semites

Aquitaine

You can support Israel. I'll support whatever results in minimal carnage.

Yeah I second that. I personally have no hatred for either Israel or "Palestine", and admittantly I'm not very knowledgeble on the situation there. But ultimately I would just like peace to reign in that region, and I'll support whatever measure realistically brings about the minimum amount of destruction and the most peace.

Rainbow Mage

There will be no peace in the region because of a certain group of Jews has foolishly tried to lay claim to a land that we haven't inhabited in 2000 years and mistreated the people who have lived there in that time, justifying it with God belief and chosen people thing when most Israelis are Atheists anyway

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
you have the right to support whomever you wish.

i have the right to support whatever will bring peace to that part of the world.

i think it's sad that the non-Zionist Jewish are being called self-haters because they believe in a different path.

Aquitaine

End of the day though, so long as influential people and groups continue to make money off of war, we'll never see peace. I feel that includes the Israeli/Palestine conflict too.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I really wish I had a better grasp of what exactly fuels the conflicts in the middle east. It is a crying shame that so much keeps being lost in a conflict that by any reasonable measure ought not to exist.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I really wish I had a better grasp of what exactly fuels the conflicts in the middle east. It is a crying shame that so much keeps being lost in a conflict that by any reasonable measure ought not to exist.

The general reason as to what fuels the conflicts is because of the 'woe' mentioned at Revelation [12vs9,12] that Satan has great wrath, and being the 'god' of this world of badness [2 Cor 4v4] he influences mankind for the worse.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
End of the day though, so long as influential people and groups continue to make money off of war, we'll never see peace. I feel that includes the Israeli/Palestine conflict too.

While people are making money off of war there will be divine intervention into mankind's affairs. Not man, but God will bring to ruin those ruining the earth.
Rev 11v18 b.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The general reason as to what fuels the conflicts is because of the 'woe' mentioned at Revelation [12vs9,12] that Satan has great wrath, and being the 'god' of this world of badness [2 Cor 4v4] he influences mankind for the worse.

Even if I took such a claim for granted (which I won't) that still doesn't really help in undestanding the matter for practical purposes.

Or are you suggesting that we should simply accept this "woe" and not even try to make things a bit better?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Even if I took such a claim for granted (which I won't) that still doesn't really help in undestanding the matter for practical purposes.
Or are you suggesting that we should simply accept this "woe" and not even try to make things a bit better?

We can all try to make things better but within the framework of Jesus teachings. For example: Jesus illustration of the Good Samaritan shows we should all widen out in our love for others.

Revelation is a revealing. The Bible book of Revelation is a revealing of a happy climax for earth. Mankind is showing that independence from God has been a miserable failure. Unless there would be divine intervention into mankind's affairs, or as Jesus told us unless the days [last days of badness on earth] would be cut short then no flesh would be saved. Saved alive to continue living on planet earth with living under peaceful conditions.
According to Scripture Jesus proves to be the one that will make the promise to Abraham come to be a reality. God promised Abraham that because of him all families of the earth will be blessed and all nations of the earth will be blessed. God also promises that he will bring to ruin all those ruining the earth at Rev 11v18 b.

When before in mankind's history has the earth been so close to ruin in not just a physical way, but also moral and religious?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Although I am not Jewish, I strongly respect the Jewish people and Israel's right to exist. Why should you support Israel? Read this article to find out.

Why Support Israel?

I staunchly support the State of Israel's right to exist. However, that does not mean I support all of its policies towards the Palestinians; most strikingly the an-Nakba (النكبة‎) was one of the darkest periods for Israel. Not only do certain Israeli policies threaten its long-term survival, they also cause undeserved suffering on millions of people.

There will be no peace in the region because of a certain group of Jews has foolishly tried to lay claim to a land that we haven't inhabited in 2000 years and mistreated the people who have lived there in that time, justifying it with God belief and chosen people thing when most Israelis are Atheists anyway

It is this sort of one-sided rhetoric that is truly foolish. Zionists assented to adhere to the United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine, but Palestinian authorities refused. Israel is a Zeitgeist state that was formed due to intense anti-Semitism in Europe (beginning in the Middle-Ages, and perhaps the end of the Dark Ages), and would have been an anachronism in any other time or setting. The way I understand the history is that Palestinians reacted to the influx of Jewish immigrants in much the same way American far-right conservatives respond to Hispanic immigrants (and undocumented aliens). The difference is that ethnic violence erupted on both sides, which thankfully hasn't happen in the United States.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
We can all try to make things better but within the framework of Jesus teachings. For example: Jesus illustration of the Good Samaritan shows we should all widen out in our love for others.

Revelation is a revealing. The Bible book of Revelation is a revealing of a happy climax for earth. Mankind is showing that independence from God has been a miserable failure. Unless there would be divine intervention into mankind's affairs, or as Jesus told us unless the days [last days of badness on earth] would be cut short then no flesh would be saved. Saved alive to continue living on planet earth with living under peaceful conditions.
According to Scripture Jesus proves to be the one that will make the promise to Abraham come to be a reality. God promised Abraham that because of him all families of the earth will be blessed and all nations of the earth will be blessed. God also promises that he will bring to ruin all those ruining the earth at Rev 11v18 b.

Honest question: do you expect non-Christians (which most people directly involved with Israel and its conflicts are, after all) to rely that much on the Christian Bible?

I feel that choosing a less scriptural approach is overall more constructive, not to say ultimately more reliable and sensible.

When before in mankind's history has the earth been so close to ruin in not just a physical way, but also moral and religious?

1945, for one? Or, leaving aside the physical dangers, the time of the Crusades?

Why do you feel that the current time is remarkably bad in a moral and religious sense?

idea

Question Everything
I really wish I had a better grasp of what exactly fuels the conflicts in the middle east...

from what I've heard, it all started with a fight between two brothers over a bowl of soup...

(Old Testament | Genesis 25:30 - 34)
30 And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom.
31 And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright.
32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?
33 And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.
34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.

The Muslims are came from Esau, and the Jews came from Jacob.... correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Koran starts out the same as the Bible - up until this point. In the Koran, Esau does not despise his birthright, does not sell his soul for pottage.