• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I CANNOT Believe in The Resurrection

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Jesus resurrected Lazarus after 4 days. You are telling us about the limitations of your own beliefs not what's true.
Below is the spiritual interpretation, as opposed to the literal interpretation, of the Lazarus resurrection ‘story.’

Jesus did not say that the body of Lazarus would rise again. He said rise: 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”

Then apparently Martha assumed Jesus meant the body: 24 Martha said to Him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

Then Jesus said that He was the resurrection and the life and that whoever believes in Him will never die.
He was talking about the eternal life of the soul, NOT the eternal life of the physical body.

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

The Martha said she believed in Jesus and that He was the Son of God: 27 She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

When Jesus said: 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die He was referring to spiritual death, not physical death, because eventually everyone dies physically.

The following verses congruent with John 11:25-26 refer to the eternal life of the soul, not the eternal life of the body.

John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Colt

Below is the spiritual interpretation, as opposed to the literal interpretation, of the Lazarus resurrection ‘story.’

Jesus did not say that the body of Lazarus would rise again. He said rise: 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”

Then apparently Martha assumed Jesus meant the body: 24 Martha said to Him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

Then Jesus said that He was the resurrection and the life and that whoever believes in Him will never die.
He was talking about the eternal life of the soul, NOT the eternal life of the physical body.

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

The Martha said she believed in Jesus and that He was the Son of God: 27 She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

When Jesus said: 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die He was referring to spiritual death, not physical death, because eventually everyone dies physically.

The following verses are congruent with John 11:25-26 and they refer to the eternal life of the soul, not the eternal life of the body.

John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
My gosh you Bahi's would make great politicians the way you BS so much! Your so called "interpretation" is simply a blatant revisionist rationalization because for some reason you guys cherry pick the Bible rather then just be honest about the parts that you don't believe.

Vee

Premium Member
Some people who believe in God believe it, but not all do.

Even if God has the power to resurrect people, why would He?

To give people a second chance?
The Bible mentions that in time, death will be over (Rev. 21: 4) and there is a promise of resurrection for those who died. John 5: 28-29 says "Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment." I think it's a beautiful hope.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
I think you missed the point that Jesus was Not resurrected back to his old physical body, but his God resurrected Jesus back to his former pre-human heavenly spirit body.
This is why after his resurrection Jesus used different materialized bodies.
People did Not recognize the resurrected Jesus until he revealed himself to them - see Luke 24:13-43
I also believe this is what happened. Krishna, Avatars of VishNu and elevated saints / siddhas have done this and their accounts are recorded.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My gosh you Bahi's would make great politicians the way you BS so much! Your so called "interpretation" is simply a blatant revisionist rationalization because for some reason you guys cherry pick the Bible rather then just be honest about the parts that you don't believe.
I do believe the Bible, I just interpret it differently than you do. There is no revision since that would imply there was some authoritative interpretation that was revised by me. But Jesus appointed nobody to interpret the Bible so there is no authoritative interpretation, which means that my interpretation is as good an anyone else's.

You want to believe that Jesus raised the body of Lazurus from the dead. Otherwise my more rational interpretation that fits on with the other scriptures, as I demonstrated, would not bother you one iota.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
To give people a second chance?
The Bible mentions that in time, death will be over (Rev. 21: 4) and there is a promise of resurrection for those who died. John 5: 28-29 says "Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment." I think it's a beautiful hope.
I believe that John 5: 28-29 refers to being resurrected to spiritual life, not being resurrected to physical life.

The physical body was not created by God to live forever. When we die our physical bodies will decompose and we will be raised as spiritual bodies and pass from this world to the spiritual world (heaven) and continue to live forever. The death of man is merely his soul (spirit) passing from one world into another.

421. When the body is no longer able to perform the bodily functions in the natural world that correspond to the spirit’s thoughts and affections, which the spirit has from the spiritual world, man is said to die. This takes place when the respiration of the lungs and the beatings of the heart cease. But the man does not die; he is merely separated from the bodily part that was of use to him in the world, while the man himself continues to live. It is said that the man himself continues to live since man is not a man because of his body but because of his spirit, for it is the spirit that thinks in man, and thought with affection is what constitutes man. Evidently, then, the death of man is merely his passing from one world into another. And this is why in the Word in its internal sense “death” signifies resurrection and continuation of life. Heaven and Hell, p. 351

The physical body returns to the earth and the spirit returns to God, who resides in the spiritual world.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was, and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Colt

I do believe the Bible, I just interpret it differently than you do. There is no revision since that would imply there was some authoritative interpretation that was revised by me. But Jesus appointed nobody to interpret the Bible so there is no authoritative interpretation, which means that my interpretation is as good an anyone else's.

You want to believe that Jesus raised the body of Lazurus from the dead. Otherwise my more rational interpretation that fits on with the other scriptures, as I demonstrated, would not bother you one iota.
Is not a parable, its written as a factual story. You don't believe it which is fine. God raising people from the dead is entirely "rational". He knows how to do it.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Really? There’s only one way to read and interpret texts? Says who?
No, but the exegetical hermeneutic has proven itself as the best method we have for understanding ancient texts from foreign cultures, written in dead languages. We don’t exegete texts to get our jollies. We don’t exegete them so that we can “be superior to others.” We exegete them because we want to come as close as we can to understanding what the texts actually say.

sojourner

You sound confused because God gave us the Holy Spirit to lead us in all Truth and teach us.
We can’t be led in understanding if we can’t read the texts without filters that block meaning. Once that’s happened, and an exerted text is presented, then spiritual understanding can happen. This is a preparatory undertaking. The ancients who wrote that didn’t have to read through filters of time, language, culture, and idiom. We don’t have to exegete modern literature written in English.

sojourner

Jesus didn't come in a time when pictures were being taken. He left no writings himself. His enemies were trying to make Jesus vanish, they had no interest in preserving a record of his activities or sayings. It appears the apostles thought Jesus would "soon return" to finish the expectations of the Jewish Messiah. So naturally it would be some time before an evolving "church" required the writings for its scripture books.

There is no undeniable proof of God, that's why I asked you if you believed in God.
Belief and discovering what the texts say are two different things.

sojourner

This is exactly why exegesis is vital to the process.

sojourner

But Jesus appointed nobody to interpret the Bible so there is no authoritative interpretation, which means that my interpretation is as good an anyone else's.
That’s not quite true. While the texts are multivalent, and many interpretations are possible, the exegetical groundwork must be laid in order for a valid interpretation to be made. One can only truly interpret what is actually being said. Otherwise we’re kind of putting words into the author’s mouth.

sojourner

Is not a parable, its written as a factual story. You don't believe it which is fine. God raising people from the dead is entirely "rational". He knows how to do it.
No it’s not. It’s a mythic story about Jesus. There are no empirical facts to corroborate its claim.

Colt

No it’s not. It’s a mythic story about Jesus. There are no empirical facts to corroborate its claim.
Therefore you have no basis to call it myth on the same grounds. You have no empirical facts to discredit it, just an onboard bias.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
One can only truly interpret what is actually being said. Otherwise we’re kind of putting words into the author’s mouth.
Whereas that is true, what's being said can mean more than one thing.
All scriptures present this problem, not only the Bible.

Colt

Whereas that is true, what's being said can mean more than one thing.
All scriptures present this problem, not only the Bible.

Let me try that:

"Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither. do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly. Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

"Some birds fly south for the winter but they don't do any sewing in Cuba but the Commies give them food. "

WOW! that's amazing stuff.