• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why hasn't religion gone away?

Atruthseeker

I was wondering, why hasn't religion gone away by now? Infact, if you are an evolutionist how did it get started? Why do we need it?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I was wondering, why hasn't religion gone away by now?
1) Why would it?

2) The experiences religion is based on still occur.

3) Indoctrination.

Infact, if you are an evolutionist how did it get started? Why do we need it?
The evolution of religion is a fascinating topic, but rather large.

Here are the major puzzle pieces I know of:
1) Mystical experiences.

Whether correctly interpreted or not, trance states happen, and I think they're where we got the idea of God(s) in the first place.

2) The spandrel hypothesis. In a nutshell, this idea explains how the tendency to attribute agency where there is none was selected for.

If correct, the spandrel hypothesis neatly explains the development of theism in the classical sense.

I'm probably forgetting a few, though.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I was wondering, why hasn't religion gone away by now?

Religion seems to have its roots in at least two sources. One of those sources can be described as "mystical experiences". Another source was admirably discussed by Scott Atran in his work, In Gods We Trust: The Evolutionary Landscape of Religion. The commonality between the two sources for religion is that both seem to be innate, genetically based traits of human nature. And if that's the case, humans are inherently religious to some degree and they will remain inherently religious so long as our species exists.

Infact, if you are an evolutionist how did it get started?

Read Atrans

Why do we need it?

It is questionable whether we do need religion. But need is not the same thing as have. We have religion, just like we have an appendix, and regardless of whether we need an appendix (or religion).

APW

Religion does not and will not go away because there exists inside each individual normal minded person in this world a divine spark, an actual fragment of God. This Father fragment rests gently above the conscious material mind of the individual, and acts as a spirit guide, not as a ruler.
Our minds can be seen as being divided into 3 parts:

The subconscious
The conscious
The Super-conscious

In all things, the conscious or material mind exerts complete free will. We are free to choose to become more real, I.E. to choose relative truth over relative error, beauty over ugliness, goodness over evil. I define the ultimate reality as being God. God is so much more than our limited animal-evolved minds can comprehend. The entire universe of time and space is only a fraction of what God is. However at our level of spiritual development, God is easiest to define as a Father. As THE Father.

God is the giver of personality. And, however much greater God must be than a personality, he certainly can be nothing less than a personality.

This life is but the vestibule of an eternity of sublime adventure and incomprehensible achievement. Our choices in this life affect our survival into that which lies beyond the portal of natural death. As much as we choose reality, that much will carry over into what lies beyond. As much as we reject reality, that much will not survive. And by "reality" I am not referring to belonging to any named religion. I am referring to our choosing those values, which complement the ultimate reality which is Love, and which is God.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
1) Why would it?

2) The experiences religion is based on still occur.

3) Indoctrination.

The evolution of religion is a fascinating topic, but rather large.

Here are the major puzzle pieces I know of:
1) Mystical experiences.

Whether correctly interpreted or not, trance states happen, and I think they're where we got the idea of God(s) in the first place.

2) The spandrel hypothesis. In a nutshell, this idea explains how the tendency to attribute agency where there is none was selected for.

If correct, the spandrel hypothesis neatly explains the development of theism in the classical sense.

I'm probably forgetting a few, though.

It looks like you got there ahead of me. I should have read your post before posting my own.

footprints

I was wondering, why hasn't religion gone away by now? Infact, if you are an evolutionist how did it get started? Why do we need it?

Why hasn't religion gone away by now?....... Supply and demand.

How did it get started?...... The same way as the evolutionist belief got started.... evidence.

Why do we need it?..... Why do we need anything which doesn't pertain to our immediate survival? Why do we need cars? Why do we need boats and planes? Why do we need sport or libraries? Why do we need radio, television or papers? Why do we need the internet?...... I would suggest like everything we need it because some people like it.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
A logical evolutionist response would be that it is beneficial for mankind to have moral values. Thus far, mankind has evolved his moral values through religion. As our evolution progresses, religion will not fade away but it will be refined into something more perfected as man himself progresses towards evolutionarily refined morality,

Of course, that is how an evolutionist would see it I would imagine.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Thus far, mankind has evolved his moral values through religion.

That happens not to be the case in many cultures. See Jared Diamond, for instance, on the role of religion and moral values in the culture of the New Guinea highlanders. Religion is not necessary to evolve moral values.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
That happens not to be the case in many cultures. See Jared Diamond, for instance, on the role of religion and moral values in the culture of the New Guinea highlanders. Religion is not necessary to evolve moral values.

I didn't say it was necessary. However, typically religion is how man derives his morals. Or rather it is generally how man establishes the moral values that he will adhere to.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
A logical evolutionist response would be that it is beneficial for mankind to have moral values. Thus far, mankind has evolved his moral values through religion. As our evolution progresses, religion will not fade away but it will be refined into something more perfected as man himself progresses towards evolutionarily refined morality,

Of course, that is how an evolutionist would see it I would imagine.

That's certainly how I see it.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Why hasn't superstition gone away?
Because people are intellectually lazy, fear death, cling to the promise of continuing on after they die, deny that which they dislike, fear, do not understand, or goes against they warm fuzzy feelings.

John D

Spiritsurfer

The more the fruits of knowledge become accessible to men, the more widespread is the decline of religious belief.
Sigmund Freud

The opposite is actually happening - The more "fruit of the tree of knowledge" we enjoy, the greater the void in the heart of man, and the deeper the search for something to fill it. even science became a religion to some, like Athiesm.

Last edited:

dogsgod

The more the fruits of knowledge become accessible to men, the more widespread is the decline of religious belief.
Sigmund Freud

The opposite is actually happening - The more "fruit of the tree of knowledge" we enjoy, the greater the void in the heart of man, and the deeper the search for something to fill it. even science became a religion to some, like Athiesm.
I disagree as regards to the void. The '''fruit of the tree of knowledge' is science, the thirst for this knowledge for some is great, and very rewarding.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I disagree as regards to the void. The '''fruit of the tree of knowledge' is science, the thirst for this knowledge for some is great, and very rewarding.

It is, indeed. :yes:

But that knowledge is worthless without the wisdom to use it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I didn't say it was necessary. However, typically religion is how man derives his morals. Or rather it is generally how man establishes the moral values that he will adhere to.

I will grant you that is how it might look to a good Westerner whose idea of religion is basically Judism and Christianity with a little Islam thrown in.