• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why hasn't religion gone away?

John D

Spiritsurfer
I disagree as regards to the void. The '''fruit of the tree of knowledge' is science, the thirst for this knowledge for some is great, and very rewarding.

"Void" - or "abyss" - that was how I experience it in my life - The more info I cramed into my head the more empty felt my spirit. Something was missing and emptiness was growing.
Mabe it is not a universal thing - only my own experience!
Anyway- this void in my spirit neede something else to fill it, I found it, and it is filling word by word.
If there never was or is no "void" in your innerman - great for you!!!

johnhanks

I was wondering, why hasn't religion gone away by now? Infact, if you are an evolutionist how did it get started? Why do we need it?
I don't think there's any such person as an 'evolutionist': that's a word invented purely as an antithesis for 'creationist'. In the real world, there are evolutionary biologists, and other scientists and lay people who accept the vast body of evidence that supports the theory of evolution in the same way they accept other scientific theories; calling them all 'evolutionists' is lazy.

Addressing your main question, I'm attracted to Lewis Wolpert's ideas on our need as a species to create beliefs on which to plan and base actions. He proposes that humankind's first technologies were made possible by our ability to construct cause-and-effect beliefs - 'if I chip this piece of rock like this, it will produce a cutting edge'. From this he extrapolates that where no obvious cause could be seen for significant events (lightning, droughts, floods etc) it was expedient to invent them; hence animisms, the supernatural, and the beginnings of religious belief. Probably not the whole story, I agree, but plausible.

Why do we need it? Dawkins declares we don't: for him it is a functionless and malign spin-off from our brain function, like the noise generated by a car engine - we'd be better off without it. I'm more cautious: in my view, religion has been too deeply embedded in culture throughout human history, and too expensive in terms of time, energy and materials, to be functionless. It's had a role in sanctifying and cementing a culture's moral code, uniting people to a common purpose and legitimising the sociopolitical status quo.

The problem is, Dorothy has now looked behind the curtain and found no wizard: religion's supernatural claims are increasingly questioned, and with them go its authority to direct our lives. In some societies demagogic ideologies have been imposed in its place, invariably dressed up in the trappings of religions (infallible charismatic demigod leaders, unquestionable texts etc); they have not looked good so far. Regretfully, I conclude that religion probably isn't going away in a hurry.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I was wondering, why hasn't religion gone away by now? Infact, if you are an evolutionist how did it get started? Why do we need it?
Is that a rhetorical question? the reality of things as they are now, is that the vast majority of human beings are part of a religion or hold religious beliefs.
in the past and present religion has simply been an essential part of human existence. for example the ancient Egyptians did not know the meaning of 'secular'. throughout history, magia, religion and science have went hand in hand. only in the last centuries are we having debates between secular science and religious tradition.

David69

Angel Of The North
My Jewish Doctor once asked me "why do you want to wrid the world of Religion?" And I told him That within Religion ther is lots of evil and when I rule the world I dont particulary want to be followed or worshipped but if I am then it will be the good peoples choice. It is the evil manipulators that will fall!!"

Last edited:
Thus far, mankind has evolved his moral values through religion.

evolving moral values and codifying moral values are not the same thing. religion had to have been developed after families and successful human family groups require value of morality. so religion could not be responsible for morality.

footprints

That happens not to be the case in many cultures. See Jared Diamond, for instance, on the role of religion and moral values in the culture of the New Guinea highlanders. Religion is not necessary to evolve moral values.

New Guinea highlanders, have deity figures, they also have just as many myths and legends as the Australian Aborginal and Torres Strait Islanders, many of them shared. The only thing they do not have is a religion developed from their culture. As with the Australian aboriginal and the American/Canadian Indian, their civilisations were not allowed to develop under their own guidance. Instead they had other cultures intervene in this process, and so remain just a culture. Ancient cultures are often described as being a living religion.

Last edited:

dogsgod

I get religion all too well and all I can do is hope it will all go away, though it won't happen in my lifetime.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
New Guinea highlanders, have deity figures, they also have just as many myths and legends as the Australian Aborginal and Torres Strait Islanders, many of them shared. The only thing they do not have is a religion developed from their culture. As with the Australian aboriginal and the American/Canadian Indian, their civilisations were not allowed to develop under their own guidance. Instead they had other cultures intervene in this process, and so remain just a culture. Ancient cultures are often described as being a living religion.

Jared Diamond spent 30 years studying the New Guinea Highlanders and he says nothing like what you've said. So, sources, please.

dogsgod

It's not going to happen in the lifetime of our species -- religion is inherent.
Then why does it require people to attend church every week in order to repeat the same rituals over and over again as if it continually needs to be drilled in, like a constant reminder?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Then why does it require people to attend church every week in order to repeat the same rituals over and over again as if it continually needs to be drilled in, like a constant reminder?

Whoever said religion does that?

From my experience and my studies, in order for religion to have any affect, it must be continuous, and growing. Empty repetition of ritual does nothing but stagnate.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

That's an interesting point, and I believe I can see where you are coming from. Of course, you are aware that religion is not always a communal activity. That's very obvious from the study of most Far Eastern religions as well as Native American religions, and so forth, isn't it? Even if people do not congregate, they can still be quite religious.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Whoever said religion does that?

From my experience and my studies, in order for religion to have any affect, it must be continuous, and growing. Empty repetition of ritual does nothing but stagnate.

Boy that statement will upset 1 billion muslims. :)
They do it five times a day.

Cheers

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Boy that statement will upset 1 billion muslims. :)
They do it five times a day.

Cheers

I said empty repetition, not repetition in general.

When I say that, I mean simply repeating the tones and the sounds without paying special attention to the meaning.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
There's a difference?

Cheers

Oh, yes.

Think of it like this: an actor who just recites the lines without really paying attention to what's being said, and another actor who takes the time to pay close attention to every sound and enunciate accordingly depending on the emotion required by the scene. An actor who's mind is elsewhere during the scene, and another actor who's mind is completely focused on the scene and the character he or she is portraying.