• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why has the status of women become so important in our age?

eik

Things like marital rape were legal in the UK until 1991. I doubt any woman liked that.
There is no such thing as marital rape in the bible. In fact the word rape had to be re-invented to make that particular law. And what benefit exactly does a woman get from being protected by the law from "marital rape?" You've got about 0% chance of getting a conviction unless the parties are separated.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no such thing as marital rape in the bible. In fact the word rape had to be re-invented to make that particular law. And what benefit exactly does a woman get from being protected by the law from "marital rape?" You've got about 0% chance of getting a conviction unless the parties are separated.
Marital rape exists. If the woman says no it means no and if her husband does it anyway that's rape; it's marital rape because it occurs between married partners. So what you're saying is there should be no law against this because the Bible never mentions it?

Honestly?

She gets protection from being raped.

Not sure why you need that spelling out for you. And yes, convictions are hard, so what? - you're saying that means we shouldn't try and should just let the husband sexually abuse his wife?

eik

I actually listed several. Check out post #47. Those are clear injustices (if not, imagine that men were subject to the same). That you don't seem to see that is bothersome.
It didn't bother Queen Victoria, nor most women of the Victorian era. Don't even know what you mean by "safety in the home." As far as I am aware, the most culpable abusers of safety in the home were female poisoners, of whom there were a fair number.

A poor lot for women is far more related to poverty and oppression by false religions, that esoteric "rights" favoured by left-wing feminists intellectuals, who have largely made the lot of women much worse today than they were fifty years ago.

eik

Marital rape exists. If the woman says no it means no and if her husband does it anyway that's rape; it's marital rape because it occurs between married partners. So what you're saying is there should be no law against this because the Bible never mentions it?

Honestly?

She gets protection from being raped.

Not sure why you need that spelling out for you. And yes, convictions are hard, so what? - you're saying that means we shouldn't try and should just let the husband sexually abuse his wife?
Rape does not mean what you think it means. Marriage confers a one-in-flesh relation. There is no concept of violation because the two are one flesh.

I agree however that intra-marital violence is distateful. It always has been. Christianity doesn't condone it, but on the other hand, the involvement of criminal law is not necessary a good thing. I don't accept the criminal law should have jurisdiction over everything.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Rape does not mean what you think it means. Marriage confers a one-in-flesh relation. There is no concept of violation because the two are one flesh.

I agree however that intra-marital violence is distateful. It always has been. Christianity doesn't condone it.
So you're suggesting a husband cannot rape his wife? That's absurd.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Oh, you mean the world was a better place when it used to worship the goddess? cf. Venus von Willendorf. I guess that being ruled by the goddess had its upside for women, but in the long run it didn't work out, as all the goddess worshippers got conquered, by the will of God.
And of course, you totally missed the point -- which was that the God you think you worship left humanity 100% ignorant of him for many tens of thousands of years. Humankind has been around for more than 100,000 years, Christianity for less than 2,000.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why should I tell lies? I was once an atheist. I know what it is to be one. Just because you don't like what I say does not make me a liar.
Fine list the idols please. And remember, an idol is something that is worshipped, so tell me what idols I worship, since you claim to know so well. And if you cannot, or if you get it wrong, then you perhaps ought to consider withdrawing the remark. Just out of "Christian decency," of course.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It didn't bother Queen Victoria, nor most women of the Victorian era.
Given that they would not have been listened to if they objected, how would you know?

Don't even know what you mean by "safety in the home." As far as I am aware, the most culpable abusers of safety in the home were female poisoners, of whom there were a fair number.

How about safety from being beaten or raped by her husband? Maybe that's why there were as many poisonings?

A poor lot for women is far more related to poverty and oppression by false religions, that esoteric "rights" favoured by left-wing feminists intellectuals, who have largely made the lot of women much worse today than they were fifty years ago.

Yes, poverty is a problem: being unable to find a job because of gender is a problem. Not being allowed to own property is a problem. Not being allowed to keep the money earned is a problem.

Sorry, but the vast majority of women are MUCH better off now than they were 50 years ago and they were better off then than 100 years ago.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Again, a truly horrific avoidance of the suffering involved in those who were so abused.

I agree however that intra-marital violence is distateful. It always has been. Christianity doesn't condone it, but on the other hand, the involvement of criminal law is not necessary a good thing. I don't accept the criminal law should have jurisdiction over everything.

Domestic violence is brutal and should be legislated against, just like other forms of violence.

Once again, if it is a crime when experienced by a man, it should be when experienced by a woman.

it really is that easy.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Why, after thousands of years of oppression of women, has suddenly, man himself, began to champion her rights of equality? Even in the Bible there are passages forbidding women to openly speak, yet today, women’s rights are at the forefront of human rights battles.

Why this sudden change of heart towards women?

I think its because of medical technology currently available that lets people live longer: Consider that average human lifespan has increased, and women are no longer so likely to die in childbirth. Men don't grow up expecting to be soldiers and to fight 'Glorious' battles. Its a huge, huge change from the past.. People today don't struggle to maintain our populations, but in the past we did. Today we worry about overpopulation. In the past women had to keep giving birth or the population would decrease. This lowered their life expectancy by a lot and decreased the value of educating them. They started giving birth as soon as they were capable.

There have been many such times of freedom or awareness of equality over the last thousands of years. This time we live in, too, could merely be a brief and fragile bubble of awareness soon to be destroyed by circumstances.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Why, after thousands of years of oppression of women, has suddenly, man himself, began to champion her rights of equality? Even in the Bible there are passages forbidding women to openly speak, yet today, women’s rights are at the forefront of human rights battles.

Why this sudden change of heart towards women?
Because women have fought the battle, in western society at least, to not be the property of men as required by religions and men in power. They refuse to be subjugated any more. Why do you ask?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Their intellects and their objects of vanity.
Too bad your religious and narcissistic view of women is no longer acceptable. There are places in the world where your view of women is still accepted. One can only hope you live there.

But look out, pretty soon you will need to go live under a rock with your fellow men who think as you do. But even that rock will eventually turn to sand which has no power and will flow helplessly with the shifting tides.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
On a related note, in spite of changes being made to protect the dignity and worth of women, there have been many challenges to it. Just this year the federal government gutted Title IX protections. I had read a few things about what the changes were, but official summary about it came out from our Title IX coordinator at the university. I couldn't believe these changes are actually real it is such a step backwards - it all screams "lets re-normalize rape again." It ticks me off so much.

eik

Too bad your religious and narcissistic view of women is no longer acceptable. There are places in the world where your view of women is still accepted. One can only hope you live there.
My view or treatment of women has never been questioned or complained of or challenged except by feminists. I guess you are one of those commie Democrats. Did you know the USA under the Democrats is going to be one of the most communist nations on earth?

But look out, pretty soon you will need to go live under a rock with your fellow men who think as you do. But even that rock will eventually turn to sand which has no power and will flow helplessly with the shifting tides.
I have had no much problem with attracting women and I opine you are a false prophet.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Why should I tell lies? I was once an atheist. I know what it is to be one. Just because you don't like what I say does not make me a liar.
Don't believe you for one second. You have never been an atheist nor anything other than a believer in oppressive and grandiose ideas of superiority through religious doctrine. One cannot go from rational thought to irrational thought and beliefs. It doesn't work that way for anyone.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
My view or treatment of women has never been questioned or complained of or challenged except by feminists. I guess you are one of those commie Democrats. Did you know the USA under the Democrats is going to be one of the most communist nations on earth?

I have had no much problem with attracting women and I opine you are a false prophet.
Meh.

eik

Again, a truly horrific avoidance of the suffering involved in those who were so abused.
if it's so horrific, why is the conviction rate for marital rape approximately 0%?

Domestic violence is brutal and should be legislated against, just like other forms of violence.
Always a question of degree. I think I said "apart from criminal acts" in my earlier posts, so I don't really know what point you're trying to make here.

Once again, if it is a crime when experienced by a man, it should be when experienced by a woman.

it really is that easy.
There are crimes, and there are behaviours which do not amount to crimes. Thankfully under Christianity, some degree of right proportion is retain, unlike under communism.