• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Don't the Vedas Mention Rama or Krishna?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You know Paar, I believe you're really doing a huge disservice to the Ammadiyya faith. Imagine what readers of your nonsense will be saying. Nobody in their right mind would want to follow in your footsteps. It's sad, because of all branches of Islam, yours is one of the most tolerant, but with actions like yours, that idea is becoming a myth.

Kirran

Premium Member
You know Paar, I believe you're really doing a huge disservice to the Ammadiyya faith. Imagine what readers of your nonsense will be saying. Nobody in their right mind would want to follow in your footsteps. It's sad, because of all branches of Islam, yours is one of the most tolerant, but with actions like yours, that idea is becoming a myth.

It is actually true that my estimation of the Ahmadiyya Faith has declined considerably as a result of paarsurrey's behaviour on here. Not so much because I think they all must be like him, but just because his behaviour is possible within that framework.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is actually true that my estimation of the Ahmadiyya Faith has declined considerably as a result of paarsurrey's behaviour on here. Not so much because I think they all must be like him, but just because his behaviour is possible within that framework.
Yes me too, for I know several Amadiyya's from shopping in import stores they owned. Sad, that.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Who brought in the changes? The Dravidians (mentioned as Dasyus* in the Veda) or the Aryans, per force.
Both brought in the changes. A friendship requires two people. Both made changes in their ways.

Dasyu (Criminal) and Dasa (servant) have different meanings. And the indigenous people were none of that. To say so is a Christian/Muslim strategy to denigrate Hindus and Hinduism. Dasyus relate to a natural phenomena when the Aryans lived in the sub-polar regions and those regions had a long night lasting two-months. Aryans thought that this is the work of demons. They called these imaginary demons as 'dasyus' whom Indra had to kill each year to bring back the sun.

- In Zorostrianism, Azi Dahhak was the demon and killing him was the work of Thraetona.
- Among the Greeks, The titan Geryon had the cows (RigVeda mentions sun's rays as cows) which Herkles stole. Also Persephone has to remain with Pluto for six months.
The same story is repeated in many mythologies which were influenced by Aryans.
- Among the Celts, Fomori and Fir Bolg are killed and Lug returns triumphantly or Gwyn and Gwythur fight for the damsel.
- Among the Irish, it is the men of Fidga and Labraid of the Swift Hand on the Sword, king of an Irish Hades, whom Cuchulainn goes to assist in the Battle of Moytura.

But what do you know about these things? Your sole informant is either your revealed book or Zakir Naik. :Face Palm:

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That is an Atheistic view. Dharmic people say that Veda were revealed scriptures. There have been later additions to Veda, but one could always thrash them out. But that is a different subject. Please
Regards
No, revealed is an Abrahamic thing NOT a Dharmic thing. Has nothing to do with atheism or theism.
Then prove one's point of view from Veda, please
Regards
Why? The Vedas don't work like that.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
That is an Atheistic view. Dharmic people say that Veda were revealed scriptures. There have been later additions to Veda, but one could always thrash them out. But that is a different subject. Please
Regards
"Dharmic people say that Veda were revealed scriptures":

"The two qualifying features of a Hindu are faith in one Supreme God and belief in the authority of the Vedas and following the principles enshrined in them. The Vedas are accepted by everyone in Hindu dharma. The Vedas are ancient shastras taken as direct revelations by God to the enlightened rishis of India. As such, they have not originated at a particular time in history and are believed to be eternal and of divine origin. The Vedas are also known as the Shruti Shastras. Shruti means ‘that which is heard,’ i.e., the divine utterances revealed to the rishis by Bhagwan."
Belief in the Revealed Scriptures

Regards

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member

"The two qualifying features of a Hindu are faith in one Supreme God and belief in the authority of the Vedas and following the principles enshrined in them. The Vedas are accepted by everyone in Hindu dharma. The Vedas are ancient shastras taken as direct revelations by God to the enlightened rishis of India. As such, they have not originated at a particular time in history and are believed to be eternal and of divine origin. The Vedas are also known as the Shruti Shastras. Shruti means ‘that which is heard,’ i.e., the divine utterances revealed to the rishis by Bhagwan."
Belief in the Revealed Scriptures

Regards
BAPS are.......well BAPS. They're a very young group and don't gel well with more orthodox sects. I like their charity work, but they're sort of like the precursor to ISKCON in a lot of ways. Respected but sort of with a sideways suspicious glance from the more mainstream and even the other outlier Hindus.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
BAPS are.......well BAPS. They're a very young group and don't gel well with more orthodox sects. I like their charity work, but they're sort of like the precursor to ISKCON in a lot of ways. Respected but sort of with a sideways suspicious glance from the more mainstream and even the other outlier Hindus.
Do you think it is wrong to translate the word "shruti" as revelation? I think that is what many groups (and wiki) are doing obviously.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think it is wrong to translate the word "shruti" as revelation? I think that is what many groups (and wiki) are doing obviously.
Yes and no. I get why the temptation is there, especially when speaking to a Western audience. That is probably a close translation across the two paradigms. But in saying that, it is an inaccurate translation at the end of the day. At least contextually. Which does give rise to misinformation like we are currently seeing in this very thread.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes and no. I get why the temptation is there, especially when speaking to a Western audience. That is probably a close translation across the two paradigms. But in saying that, it is an inaccurate translation at the end of the day. At least contextually. Which does give rise to misinformation like we are currently seeing in this very thread.
I think any reasonable person will know that a translation from another culture and language will not exactly map on to their own. Within those expectations the translation of shruti to revelation is quite reasonable. The fact that we are not talking with such a person should not stop making reasonable translations of Sanskrit words.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I think any reasonable person will know that a translation from another culture and language will not exactly map on to their own. Within those expectations the translation of shruti to revelation is quite reasonable. The fact that we are not talking with such a person should not stop making reasonable translations of Sanskrit words.
That's fair.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig

cats-funny.gif

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Beautiful cats.
But to get back on topic paar said <3.
<3 what?

Absolutely nothing, I just wanted to quote his username to see if he was really ignoring the answers given and focusing on other posts on purpose.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

"The two qualifying features of a Hindu are faith in one Supreme God and belief in the authority of the Vedas and following the principles enshrined in them.
Regards

So now you're defining Hindus for Hindus. Have you been appointed the new Pope of Hinduism? Hindus don't have a philosophical systems that applies to everyone.

Please stop this critical anti-Hindu line of questioning. It goes against the principles of peaceful Ammadiya Islam.