• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Don't the Vedas Mention Rama or Krishna?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Krishna is no different than Jesus, the Buddha, or whatever God-man, he is like the Christ, the thread that runs through all, he is under all sorts of names. Its not the name that is important here, its where the name points to, yes we are all One in the Source of Consciousness, and the name of Christ, Krishna, Buddha, or whatever you feel is right for you, is just that, a name, don't get caught up in the mere name, but follow that name to its realization.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why Don't the Vedas Mention Rama or Krishna? Please

Regards

Parik**** (gradson of Arjuna who succeeded Yudhisthira) is explicitly mentioned in the Atharvaveda.
Atharva Veda: Book 20: Hymn 127: A hymn in praise of the good Government of King Kaurama
List to Parik****'s eulogy, the sovreign whom all people love,
The King who ruleth over all, excelling mortals as a God.
8'Mounting his throne, Parik****, best of all, hath given us peace and rest,'
Saith a Kauravya to his wife as he is ordering his house.
9'Which shall I set before thee, curds, gruel of milk, or barley-brew?'
Thus the wife asks her husband in the realm which King Parik**** rules.
10 Up as it were to heavenly light springs the ripe corn above the cleft.
Happily thrive the people in the land where King Parik**** reigns.

Krishna too is passingly mentioned in Chandayoga Upanisad
The Upanishads, Part 1 (SBE01): Khândogya Upanishad: III, 17
6. Ghora Âṅgirasa, after having communicated this (view of the sacrifice) to Krishna, the son of Devăkî 1--and he never thirsted again (after other knowledge)--said: 'Let a man, when his end approaches,
1: "Thou art the imperishable," "Thou art the unchangeable," "Thou art the edge of Prâna."' On this subject there are two Rik verses (Rig-veda VIII, 6, 30):--
7. 'Then they see (within themselves) the ever-present light of the old seed (of the world, the Sat), the highest, which is lighted in the brilliant (Brahman).' Rig-veda I, 50, 10:--
'Perceiving above the darkness (of ignorance) the higher light (in the sun), as the higher light within the heart, the bright source (of light and life) among the gods, we have reached the highest light, yea, the highest light 2.'
The view of critical scholarship is that the events that inspired the Mahabharata war occured around 1000 BCE and hence their protagonists come into prominence in the Vedic literature that written after this 1000 BCE.

King Janaka (who is said to be the father of Sita in Ramayana) figures prominently in the Upanisads as a great philosopher king.
The Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Parik**** (gradson of Arjuna who succeeded Yudhisthira) is explicitly mentioned in the Atharvaveda.
Atharva Veda: Book 20: Hymn 127: A hymn in praise of the good Government of King Kaurama

The view of critical scholarship is that the events that inspired the Mahabharata war occured around 1000 BCE and hence their protagonists come into prominence in the Vedic literature that written after this 1000 BCE.

King Janaka (who is said to be the father of Sita in Ramayana) figures prominently in the Upanisads as a great philosopher king.
The Brihadaranyaka Upanishad
Pariks()it! The language police software is going overboard. :p

ajay0

May be both or one of them belonged to Dravidian of Indus Valley Civilization people . Krishna is said to be black skinned.
Regards

Both the avatars Rama and Krishna are of dark complexion.

And I remember reading of both of them being proficient in the study of the Vedas. The Rig Vedas , the most ancient vedas are of a much earlier stage than that of the ramayana or Mahabharatha.

Krishna is supposed to have lived in the later stages of the 4th millenium b.c , while Rama was in the eighth millenium b.c.

Rama lived in the same time as the sages Vasistha and Vishwamitra, as both were his mentors , and both of them have been mentioned in the vedas.

Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita had stated that the vedas in comparison to a man of realization, is like the reservoir of water in a time of flood. He emphasized enlightenment and not just the mere study of the vedas.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Both the avatars Rama and Krishna are of dark complexion.

And I remember reading of both of them being proficient in the study of the Vedas. The Rig Vedas , the most ancient vedas are of a much earlier stage than that of the ramayana or Mahabharatha.

Krishna is supposed to have lived in the later stages of the 4th millenium b.c , while Rama was in the eighth millenium b.c.

Rama lived in the same time as the sages Vasistha and Vishwamitra, as both were his mentors , and both of them have been mentioned in the vedas.

Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita had stated that the vedas in comparison to a man of realization, is like the reservoir of water in a time of flood. He emphasized enlightenment and not just the mere study of the vedas.
"And I remember reading of both of them being proficient in the study of the Vedas".

Thanks for the information. So, one means that Rama and Krishna were not living in the Vedic Period and they lived in the Post Veda period and they were 4000 years apart from one another. Right? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Paarsurrey, would you please take a break from Hinduism and harass some other religion for a while?
Well! I appreciate the religions of the Sub-Continent including Islam. All revealed religions of the world are peaceful and teach loving the humanity and no hatred to anyone.
Perhaps one got me wrong.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Pariks()it! The language police software is going overboard. :p
The name is:
"Parik****'s name came from the Sanskrit verb root परि-क्षि pari-kṣi = "around-possess" (or, less likely here, "around-destroy"). An alternate suggestion from Suryakant Tripathi 'Nirala''s translation is Pariskhita. Alternative modern spellings of his name, not all of them correct as regards the original Sanskrit, are Pariksita, Pariksit, Parikshat, Parixit and Parik****a. His name is a common Hindu name across Nepal today."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parik****
Regards

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
Well! I appreciate the religions of the Sub-Continent including Islam. All revealed religions of the world are peaceful and teach loving the humanity and no hatred to anyone.
Perhaps one got me wrong.
Regards

I am in fact totally convinced that you're proselytising and that every one of your posts is basically furthering your agenda to convince people of Ahmadi doctrine.

So it might be a bit refreshing if you'd take on Buddhism, Shintoism, Aztec religion or something else for a while.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"And I remember reading of both of them being proficient in the study of the Vedas".

Thanks for the information. So, one means that Rama and Krishna were not living in the Vedic Period and they lived in the Post Veda period and they were 4000 years apart from one another. Right? Please
Regards
I have to add:
How come that Krishna was not mentioned in the Veda, as Veda was written much before his times, but his cousin's (Arjuna's) progeny has been mentioned in Veda?:
Parik**** was the grandson of Arjuna and Subhadra and the son of Abhimanyu and his wife Uttarā.[11]
This requires some reflection. Right? Please
Regards

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I have to add:
How come that Krishna was not mentioned in the Veda, as Veda was written much before his times, but his cousin's (Arjuna's) progeny has been mentioned in Veda?:
Parik**** was the grandson of Arjuna and Subhadra and the son of Abhimanyu and his wife Uttarā.[11]
This requires some reflection. Right? Please
Regards
Not really. Krishna is mentioned in the Mahabharata, but he is already an adult in the epic more or less. His earlier escapades are in various other scriptures and folklore. Vedas isn't a central be all end all text. There are plenty of others.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Paarsurrey, it is quite simple. RigVeda does not mention any of the currently popular Hindu Gods or Goddeses - Rama, Krishna, Shiva or Durga. Therefore IMHO, these are indigenous Gods and Goddesses and not the Gods and Goddesses of Aryans. I think we have discussed this a number of times - you want a repeat? Chhandogya Upanishad is quite old, but I take any mention of Krishna to mean that the book was written in Christian Era or the verse was interpolated, one of the two things.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sayak, What you mention is there in Max Muller's translation, but I do not find it in Charles Johnston's translation or in that of Swami Nikhilananda. It is not there in Robert Hume's translation. It is not there in Swami Swahananda's translation. Perhaps I am looking at some other prapathak/khand etc. Links here: The Thirteen Principal Upanishads and Chandogya Upanishad (taken from Wikipedia - Chandogya Upanishad).

As for King Pariks()it in AtharvaVeda, there is nothing to show that it is the same as Srimad Bhagwat Purana's Pariks()it and grandson of Arjuna.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Not really. Krishna is mentioned in the Mahabharata, but he is already an adult in the epic more or less. His earlier escapades are in various other scriptures and folklore. Vedas isn't a central be all end all text. There are plenty of others.
Veda is a revealed and the most ancient scripture of the sub-continent, if not all of it, some of it must be.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Sayak, What you mention is there in Max Muller's translation, but I do not find it in Charles Johnston's translation or in that of Swami Nikhilananda. It is not there in Robert Hume's translation. It is not there in Swami Swahananda's translation. Perhaps I am looking at some other prapathak/khand etc. Links here: The Thirteen Principal Upanishads and Chandogya Upanishad (taken from Wikipedia - Chandogya Upanishad).

As for King Pariks()it in AtharvaVeda, there is nothing to show that it is the same as Srimad Bhagwat Purana's Pariks()it and grandson of Arjuna.
"As for King Pariks()it in AtharvaVeda, there is nothing to show that it is the same as Srimad Bhagwat Purana's Pariks()it and grandson of Arjuna."

I agree with one.
Most often the names are repeated in different regions/periods or taken from the sacred scriptures for blessings.
The king Pariks()it must have lived in Post Vedic Period.
Regards