• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Don't the Vedas Mention Rama or Krishna?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why should I not be interested ?
Regards
Most peace loving people on this planet, in their wisdom that they have developed through some way follow the saying, 'Live and let live." In other words, they rarely advise unless asked, don't meddle in other faith's business, remain humble about what they know, and follow a host of other peaceful ahimsa practices, with guidance from the wise.

Instead of trying to change others to their way, they work on changing themselves through character development, and several tactics to achieve that. Social change comes about by change in individuals.

For some odd reason, you feel yourself different than all these wise people, and like to poke your nose into the business of other faiths. I know that is the Muslim way for some, not all, but frankly, I do find it odd.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Veda is a revealed and the most ancient scripture of the sub-continent, if not all of it, some of it must be.
Well, views. As I do not believe in existence of Gods or Goddesses, for me, any scripture claiming to be revealed is falsehood as also anybody claiming to be the representative of God in any way.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sayak, What you mention is there in Max Muller's translation, but I do not find it in Charles Johnston's translation or in that of Swami Nikhilananda. It is not there in Robert Hume's translation. It is not there in Swami Swahananda's translation. Perhaps I am looking at some other prapathak/khand etc. Links here: The Thirteen Principal Upanishads and Chandogya Upanishad (taken from Wikipedia - Chandogya Upanishad).

As for King Pariks()it in AtharvaVeda, there is nothing to show that it is the same as Srimad Bhagwat Purana's Pariks()it and grandson of Arjuna.
You got confused by the numbering system. Look at Chhandayoga Part 3 Chapter XVII of Nikhilananda (its in the famous honey doctrine section)
Chandogya Upanishad
Ghora, of the line of Angirasa, communicated this [teaching] to Krishna, the son of Devaki—and it quenched Krishna’s thirst [for any other knowledge]—and said: “When a man approaches death he should take refuge in these three [thoughts]: ‘Thou art indestructible (akshata),’ ‘Thou art unchanging (aprachyuta),’ and ‘Thou art the subde prāna.’”

How many Pariks-hit, a famous and universal sovereign of the Kaurava clan do you think there are?

The Hymns of the Atharvaveda, Book Twenty

7List to Pariks-hit's eulogy, the sovran whom all people love,
The King who ruleth over all, excelling mortals as a God.

8'Mounting his throne, Pariks-hit, best of all, hath given us peace
and rest,'
Saith a Kauravya to his wife as he is ordering his house.
9'Which shall I set before thee, curds, gruel of milk, or barley-
brew?'
Thus the wife asks her husband in the realm which King
Parik**** rules.
10Up as it were to heavenly light springs the ripe corn above the
cleft.
Happily thrive the people in the land where King Pariks-hit
reigns.
11Indra hath waked the bard and said, Rise, wander singing here
and there.
Praise me, the strong: each pious man will give thee riches in
return,
12Here, cows! increase and multiply, here ye, O horses, here, O
men.
Here, with a thousand rich rewards, doth Pūshan also seat him-
self.
13O Indra, let these cows be safe, their master free from injury.
Let not the hostile-hearted or the robber have control of them.
14Oft and again we glorify the hero with our hymn of praise, with
prayer, with our auspicious prayer.
Take pleasure in the songs we sing: let evil never fall on us.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yeah, ahhh, happy memories.

Maybe we should encourage each other just to not respond.

His most recent Vedas thread has zero replies, last I checked, it's a nice sight.
Personally, I think its a way of getting around the forum rules. He knows he can't get into the Hindu DIR, so posts controversial stuff in 'Religious Debates as a cover. I suppose you and I or anyone else could go on attack against Amadiyya Islam, and put our own stupid questions in 'Religious debate' as a cover, but frankly, I would never stoop that low, as I don't think you would either.

Kirran

Premium Member
Personally, I think its a way of getting around the forum rules. He knows he can't get into the Hindu DIR, so posts controversial stuff in 'Religious Debates as a cover. I suppose you and I or anyone else could go on attack against Amadiyya Islam, and put our own stupid questions in 'Religious debate' as a cover, but frankly, I would never stoop that low, as I don't think you would either.

I can't imagine any situation in which I'd consider that a productive use of time. Where would it get anybody?

But hey, people are taught different things. The absolute truth of respective doctrines is a pervasive meme in some societies.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Veda is a revealed and the most ancient scripture of the sub-continent, if not all of it, some of it must be.
Regards
We have hundreds of scriptures. Hindus don't focus on the Vedas as much as you do, because it's but a piece in a large puzzle. And the Vedas were written before Krishna. You may as well ask why The Torah doesn't mention Jesus!
Also "revealed" is a foreign concept in Hinduism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How many Pariks-hit, a famous and universal sovereign of the Kaurava clan do you think there are?
To me the hymn in question seems to be older than Mahabharata age and this Pariksh-it does not seem to be the Pariks-hit of Mahabharata.
Vedas were composed many centuries before either Rama or Krishna. Are you asking why they did not predict the coming of either Rama or Krishna?
Or in a different locale - Vedas outside India or in Indus Valley, Rama and Krishna in Central India.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To me the hymn in question seems to be older than Mahabharata age and this Pariksh-it does not seem to be the Pariks-hit of Mahabharata.Or in a different locale - Vedas outside India or in Indus Valley, Rama and Krishna in Central India.
Your opinion remains unsubstantiated unless you can find another Rajachakravartin king of the Kuru dynasty in any literature named Pariks-hit.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is a dana-stuti like that in case of Purodasa of the Battle of Ten Kings. I would say old vintage. Of course, a hitch, unsubstantiated.

ajay0

"And I remember reading of both of them being proficient in the study of the Vedas".

Thanks for the information. So, one means that Rama and Krishna were not living in the Vedic Period and they lived in the Post Veda period and they were 4000 years apart from one another. Right? Please
Regards

Rama lived alongside sages like Vasistha and Vishwamitra who had contributed to the vedas, including the rig vedas.

Krishna possibly lived in the post vedic period.

Yes, there is a time span between Rama and Krishna around that.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Why Don't the Vedas Mention Rama or Krishna? Please

Regards

Vedas were composed many centuries before either Rama or Krishna. Are you asking why the Vedas did not predict the coming of either Rama or Krishna? The Vedas do not predict Jesus either.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Maybe we should encourage each other just to not respond.

We've tried that in the past, but he has a way of drawing out rebuttals from somebody, generally on compulsive reaction, I presume. I'm all for another attempt, and pray I won't be the first victim of the troll trap.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Vedas were composed many centuries before either Rama or Krishna. Are you asking why they did not predict the coming of either Rama or Krishna?
But Muhammad is predicted in the Veda as per "Dr. Zakir Naik discovering Muhammad in hindu scriptures", and Dr. Zakir Naik is a Muslim scholar of secular India.
Right?
Regards

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
But Muhammad is predicted in the Veda as per "Dr. Zakir Naik discovering Muhammad in hindu scriptures", and Dr. Zakir Naik is a Muslim scholar of secular India.
Right?
Regards
Zakir Hussein has found the name 'Muhammad' in all sorts of places, not just the Vedas. He has also found Muhammad in the Bible and even in the Avesta and God knows what other books - his explanations are actually quite amusing. (Incidentally Zakir Naik will probably be arrested if he ever returns to India).

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Rama, Krishna, Jesus, whatever god-man we are talking about are only labels, the labels are threads that run through all. We may call one label Christ Consciousness, another, Krishna Consciousness, its all the same thread, when we cling to one thread or label we miss the boat, we in fact make an idol.