1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Why does God care about some mammal species floating around in the middle of nowhere?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Jos, Sep 5, 2019.

1. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    You don't believe in existence?

2. Jos

Jos Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Religion:
    Agnostic Theist
    Actually we kinda do, many reasons are similar to those of animals.

Or maybe it's just a conclusion from looking at the perceived facts of reality

Well not everyone knows about the rescuer, not everyone feels as though they need the rescuer and not everyone sees any reason to believe that there's a rescuer so I don't blame people if they choose not be rescued and in some cases it's not a choice since they may not even know that there maybe a rescuer.

Maybe but still that's some not all.

There are nonbelievers too that value those things but they are drawn to other things that help with growing those qualities.

Well one has to do with finding and interpreting spiritual truth which can very easily be misunderstood or misinterpreted by imperfect human senses, if it exists while the other doesn't require understanding or interpreting an easily misunderstood or misinterpreted truth and very easy to do with a fallible human brain at least in most cases and can even be argued to be aided by the fallible brain of man.

I was making the point that most scientists accept it in response to your claim that a lot of scientists don't accept it although granted a lot doesn't mean most but still not many seem to support according to polls or at least that's what I heard.

#202 Jos, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  3. Jos

Jos Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Religion:
    Agnostic Theist
    It's amazing how believers would admonish nonbelievers for looking at the world and then drawing conclusions about God since they don't have the big picture and could be looking at things wrong yet it's not a problem for believers to do it, what a double standard.

4. Jos

Jos Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Religion:
    Agnostic Theist
    Maybe because humans are more intelligent, sentient and dominant than other creatures.

5. lostwanderingsoul

lostwanderingsoul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +832
    Religion:
    seeking
    You will have to clarify a bit. I agre that humans and animals are different and al are living creatures. I said the difference is that only humans have spirits.

6. Jos

Jos Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Religion:
    Agnostic Theist
    Yes because existence is all that there is.

7. lostwanderingsoul

Ratings:
    +832
    Religion:
    seeking
    Unfortunately you saying so does not make it true. I go by the Bible. Can you give a verse that says animals have spirits? Or is this just your belief based on some idea you heard somewhere?

8. lostwanderingsoul

Ratings:
    +832
    Religion:
    seeking
    Specific chapter and verse in Genesis please.

9. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    That’s God.

10. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Well bully for you! The Bible also says snakes talk and that the earth is flat.

11. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Figure it out; you’re the Bible “expert.”

12. nPeace

nPeace Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,315
    Religion:
    Follower of Christ
    We kill just to survive, and defend territory? Really?
    I don't know about that. Is that the case with you? How many people do you know does that?
    How many people do you know kill from instinct? Do you?

I don't mind seeing those 'facts', as I have not seen them before.

I'm not sure I agree, but I can't officially prove it. Time will reveal the truth, I believe.

Of course, it can't be all. Some don't complain, and want their own way.

Oh, I was sure we were talking about people whom God would rescue. Sorry.

I probably misunderstood you. I really thought you were saying there is a difference between understanding spirituality and choosing to do evil.
    To me, choosing to do evil, is basically deciding that one would take that path.
    Understanding spirituality also depends on choice - the choice to get to know what spirituality is all about.
    Once one embarks on a study, they will grasp what it is all about.
    They might not agree with it, in the same way they may decide that they probably should not do evil.
    That's how I see it.
    However, you probably are thinking more of deciding which spiritual path is correct.

A minority can still be many, so it is not a claim. It is a fact.
    I can have a ten thousand marbles, and someone have ten billion.
    Because I have a minority, doesn't mean I don't have many.

13. lostwanderingsoul

Ratings:
    +832
    Religion:
    seeking
    Yes it is easy to say the other person is wrong when you are not able to answer a question.

14. Bird123

Bird123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +241

Free choice is crucial to learning. People may not be teaching themselves but they are choosing what lessons they want or need to learn.

15. Bird123

Bird123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +241

I am not talking about beliefs. With beliefs, one can bend the story toward one's will.

Just like all the physics of this world add up completely so does the people factor. Physics is a lot easier since the people factor has so many more variables.

Start putting the puzzle together. Sure one could make a mistake, however that will be discovered when it does not add up or does not fit.

I'm not talking about beliefs. I'm talking Math!

AS I see it, one could never come to understand God through blind beliefs. I have found no religion that really understands God at all. On the other hand, each have bits within them.

16. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    The answer is, O Best Beloved, that the Bible is not the be-all-end-all of correct information — though you won’t accept that. You’ll make excuses for it’s errancies while claiming that it has all the answers we need. In fact, it does not. Not even the earliest followers relied on it alone.

The real question is: why would the Bible concern itself with the interior life of animals, when it’s the account of OUR relationship with the Divine?

So you needn’t be so smug about calling out my “baseless” belief. Yours are just as baseless.

17. lostwanderingsoul

Ratings:
    +832
    Religion:
    seeking
    At least I give a basis for my position. You seem to say that your opinion is corect just because you believe it. If you can cite a source for what you say then others may consider it.

18. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Your basis is also "just because you believe it." Saying "the bible doesn't address it" isn't good enough. What's your theological basis?

Mine comes from years of studying both the texts and the theological positions/constructs that have been put forward from them. Based on the Bible -- and theologians such as Teilhard de Chardin, George MacLeod, and Meister Eckhart.

19. lostwanderingsoul

Ratings:
    +832
    Religion:
    seeking
    Thank you. I do appreciate your answer. And I will lok into some of it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,320
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    Still, clever apologists or not, none of this supports the authority of the Bible.