• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God care about some mammal species floating around in the middle of nowhere?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What “authority” are you talking about?
The authority that motivates religious leaders to create a thousand different sects and initiate religious wars not just in the Middle East but throughout Europe.
People base both their ego-identities and politics on interpretations of this folklore anthology. People accept it as incontrovertible truth and seek to shape entire societies to conform to some particular interpretation, often with disastrous results.
The "authority" is built on sand.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The authority that motivates religious leaders to create a thousand different sects and initiate religious wars not just in the Middle East but throughout Europe.
People base both their ego-identities and politics on interpretations of this folklore anthology. People accept it as incontrovertible truth and seek to shape entire societies to conform to some particular interpretation, often with disastrous results.
The "authority" is built on sand.
I see. And why would you argue to support that authority for the bible?

74x12

We are certainly prone to jealousy and violence like the Bible god.
So you're okay with adultery? Someone cheating on their spouse? Because that's the only kind of jealousy God had. That is He was jealous because of spiritual adultery. Not for any other reason. I think you're thinking of envy rather than jealousy like God had.

Envy is wrong it's condemned in the Bible as covetousness.

As for violence. Okay? God does things fairly.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
So you're okay with adultery? Someone cheating on their spouse? Because that's the only kind of jealousy God had. That is He was jealous because of spiritual adultery. Not for any other reason. I think you're thinking of envy rather than jealousy like God had.

Envy is wrong it's condemned in the Bible as covetousness.

As for violence. Okay? God does things fairly.

No, but in those days a woman could not cry adultery. A married man could sleep with a single woman but not a married woman because it was a property crime against another man. Ugh. No, Yahweh is jealous of people following other, earlier, gods. Read the verse regarding this. God fairly smites a man who touches the ark of the covenant when it tips or causes bears to maul boys who make fun of a bald man. It is okay to stone mouthy children to death. I see...

Last edited:

74x12

No, but in those days a woman could not cry adultery. A married man could sleep with a single woman but not a married woman because it was a property crime against another man. Ugh. No, Yahweh is jealous of people following other, earlier, gods. Read the verse regarding this. God fairly smites a man who touches the ark of the covenant when it tips or causes bears to maul boys who make fun of a bald man. It is okay to stone mouthy children to death. I see...
worshiping other gods was spiritual adultery. That was my point ...

sojourner

We are certainly prone to jealousy and violence like the Bible god.
With all due respect, I don’t think this is a fair assessment. First of all, it doesn’t fit the theology of what it means to be made in God’s image. Second, your assessment of the texts’ representation is, excuse me, shallow. If one digs a little deeper, on realizes that the texts were written from a particular point of view. And in a particular context. the POV and context here are “how God saves/protects God’s people.” IOW: Israel. The context is also the establishment of laws under which those people are adjudged as righteous. None of God’s acts are seen by the writers and intended audiences as either violent or jealous. These are judgements by subsequent, outside readers.

It is the case that many will justify such poor attitudes and behaviors by stating that “God did it too,” and these attitudes and behaviors harm others, and place God in a bad light.

Yes, we are prone to jealousy and violence, but that’s not “like the Bible God.” That’s our own imperfection in reflecting God’s image — not God’s image, itself.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
See, this is what you get for listening to NASA. They want you to believe our planet is hardly significant, that it's not even a big planet, nor our sun an impressive sun. That outside our planet are millions of planets and somehow the Earth is spinning thousands of miles per hour and despite having played lacrosse and only managed keep the ball from flying out by very precise speed, the Earth somehow does so without even the most seasick person noticing, nor something as minor as a cup of coffee shaking, yet one finger on the edge of the cup is all it takes to topple?

All we have is pictures of other planets. And seeing how easy it is to run Photoshop, well, I'm sorry but that is not going to be enough. But what about telescopes, you ask. Yes, explain to me how something that has only limited magnification can see planets and stars light years away when after a certain distance our sun would cease to cast sufficient light. On the other hand, such a thing would easily be plausible with a screen or holographic dome.

The Atlantean Conspiracy: The Globe Earth Lie

Even should it be so that other planets are real, we still have a relatively ideal planet for life. Everything from its proximity to its sun, having bigger planets that suck up meteors, its ability to not just have some life but thousands of species, yeah it's pretty awesome. But no, the Earth is very clearly a fixed body, a created terrarium necessary for God to run Sim Earth to test us as a species.

And God doesn't just care about us.

What Does the Bible Say About His Eye Is On The Sparrow?

Jonah 4:11 So should I not care about the great city of Nineveh, which has more than 120,000 people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well?"

He cares about the cattle and other animals in Ninevah. He cares about sparrows. He even, obviously, cares about various species of ticks and flies, or the damned things would not still be around.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
With all due respect, I don’t think this is a fair assessment. First of all, it doesn’t fit the theology of what it means to be made in God’s image. Second, your assessment of the texts’ representation is, excuse me, shallow. If one digs a little deeper, on realizes that the texts were written from a particular point of view. And in a particular context. the POV and context here are “how God saves/protects God’s people.” IOW: Israel. The context is also the establishment of laws under which those people are adjudged as righteous. None of God’s acts are seen by the writers and intended audiences as either violent or jealous. These are judgements by subsequent, outside readers.

Yes, we are prone to jealousy and violence, but that’s not “like the Bible God.” That’s our own imperfection in reflecting God’s image — not God’s image, itself.

Why does Yahweh call himself jealous in the Bible? So all of the murders he commits or calls for are not true? That would be nice.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Prove it. I believe they're imposters and fakers.

Read any history book regarding the middle eastern religions to see. Even the Bible mentions the most high god El (Isra-EL, Beth-EL, etc) and Baal. Monotheism isn't cemented until second Isaiah. Or are you joking? Your belief is faulty, if you are serious.

sojourner

Why does Yahweh call himself jealous in the Bible? So all of the murders he commits or calls for are not true? That would be nice.
People tend to make God reflect their own values. That doesn’t mean that we have to accept those values, or the texts as either absolute or irrefutable.

74x12

Read any history book regarding the middle eastern religions to see. Even the Bible mentions the most high god El (Isra-EL, Beth-EL, etc) and Baal. Monotheism isn't cemented until second Isaiah. Or are you joking? Your belief is faulty, if you are serious.
See, that's not proof. You're regurgitating what you've been told. But opinions are not facts.

The fact is that there are many called gods as the scriptures point out. That doesn't mean the most High God wants to share His glory with any of them called gods.

In fact where in the Law of Moses does it say anywhere that there is only one God? It says Yah is one but it says nothing about there being only one God. But Israel has one God and they are not supposed to worship foreign gods.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
See, that's not proof. You're regurgitating what you've been told. But opinions are not facts.
You just described most religions...lol

The fact is that there are many called gods as the scriptures point out. That doesn't mean the most High God wants to share His glory with any of them called gods.

True. I am sure El did not appreciate Yahweh trying to steal his glory.

But Israel has one God and they are not supposed to worship foreign gods.

So why is some of America worshiping a Hebrew god?