• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you participate in communal worship service?

Why do you participate in communal worship services?

• to educate myself on my faith

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • to gain insights about how to apply my faith to my life

• to fellowship with others who share my beliefs

• to have access to outreach and service opportunities

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • to better worship God

• to help me raise my children in my faith

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • to feel like a part of something bigger than myself

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • to fellowship with others who share my values

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • to have somewhere to go on a regular basis that gets me out of the house

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • to admire the architecture, art, music available in my place of worship

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Karolina

If there are other reasons not listed, please include them in a comment. Also, do any of you attend different places of worship because each meets different needs for you?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't but if I did it would be to find friends who share my beliefs and values, as well as to feel closer to G-d through group worship, hear sermons and sing uplifting songs were that a part of it. I would enjoy the festivals, too; communal eating is always fun as well. It's about feeling you're part of something and belong.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, do any of you attend different places of worship because each meets different needs for you?
Technically yes, I suppose. There's the beit midrash at my yeshiva which is for the studying part of Judaism and praying when we're at yeshiva. Then there are the local synagogues in my hometown, for whenever I come home. I guess it's not really home without a local synagogue around.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My answer is that it is a most natural thing for me to do given how I feel. There's no great intellectual thought about it. Feeling the emotional impact of being part of the flock is how I would answer.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Another reason is the joy of it. Being a person who likes to kid around some, it's a chance to be with friends and joke around. I always have a few laughs at the lunch that follows the service.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Because love is pointless without sharing it with others and Christian worship is inherently communal as it is about sharing of ourselves and so on. It goes back to the nature of the Trinity to me. The Divine Persons of the Trinity eternally share of Themselves in love and hope and so that is the blueprint of how to live our lives.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Communal organized worship is not really apart of the Baha'i belief in worship. There are no organized structured services in the Baha'i Faith, but there are numerous activities for community activities, and prayer. The Baha'i House of Worship is more a public place for prayer, meditation and choral performances for the public, The emphasis of the House of Worship is reflected in the nine sided temple with nine gardens each reflecting the major religious traditions of the history of the world.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If there are other reasons not listed, please include them in a comment. Also, do any of you attend different places of worship because each meets different needs for you?
I believe in communal worship, but the internet and some family interaction are what substitute for me at the moment. Perhaps what I ought to be doing is attending church wearing a billboard that declares "Church should not be preacher-centric, and I have other objections written on my back. Please see other side."

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Jehovah's Witnesses do not have formal, repetitive or ritualistic services. We meet for Bible instruction so that we can become better servants of our Father. Our knowledge is always increasing. Our meetings are interactive so that even our children can have a share. Those of us who are able to do a little more research on the topics can share what they have learned with others. In every nation JW's are getting the same education, so that if we travel interstate or even overseas, we can go to a meeting there and continue what we were learning at home. We have an instant family.

The fact that we all share the same beliefs and preach the same message in all the world means that we are a true brotherhood.....global in scope and united in love. (John 13:34-35) :)

Good-Ole-Rebel

It is important for the Christian to meet with fellow believers. Why? Because a ministry of the Holy Spirit takes place in that meeting. The born-again Christian has the Spirit. And the Spirit will minister to him and other individuals in that setting through the Spirit in other individual Christians.

In other words, it is not just a feel good because I am around other people. It is an actual supernatural movement by the Spirit of God.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When I have, it's been mostly for the community aspect - fellowship and outreach services. Granted, that is symptomatic of the fact that there are no Druid groves in my town or any generic Pagan groups of which I'm aware. The closest thing is the local Unitarian Universalist fellowship, which I haven't been to in many years now. Being so used to a participatory religion, when I last attended I found myself bored and wondering when the actual ritual would start... haha. The community aspects are still nice, though.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There is an energy, sometimes overwhelming, one can feel in a Hindu temple. They are designed and constructed to channel the communal energy of the devotees and deities. The murtis (statues, idols, forms) of the deities are almost always made of a particular metal called panchaloha (an alloy of 5 different metals), brass or black granite for their energy properties.

In one way or another all worship in the different religions is individualistic.

There are Hindus who've never seen the inside of a temple all their lives or celebrated a festival or holy day with anyone else. If it weren't that I do attend temple, I would be a solitary practitioner and believer. Even though I attend temple, I'm missing out on celebrating festivals with family or friends because I am the only Hindu in my family. Ironically for that very reason, I often don't go to temple at festivals because they are so family oriented. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There is an energy, sometimes overwhelming, one can feel in a Hindu temple. They are designed and constructed to channel the communal energy of the devotees and deities. The murtis (statues, idols, forms) of the deities are almost always made of a particular metal called panchaloha (an alloy of 5 different metals), brass or black granite for their energy properties.

There are Hindus who've never seen the inside of a temple all their lives or celebrated a festival or holy day with anyone else. If it weren't that I do attend temple, I would be a solitary practitioner and believer. Even though I attend temple, I'm missing out on celebrating festivals with family or friends because I am the only Hindu in my family. Ironically for that very reason, I often don't go to temple at festivals because they are so family oriented. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

True, but this also true of believers in other religions. I have seen many group celebrations in Hinduism. They may be worshiping individualistically like which is possible in all religions.

Karolina

My answer is that it is a most natural thing for me to do given how I feel. There's no great intellectual thought about it. Feeling the emotional impact of being part of the flock is how I would answer.

There was one towards the end of the video that flew off to do its own thing but that was short lived and s/he quickly came right back into the flock! I loved this image, thanks!

Karolina

I've heard this same concern from single Catholics a lot lately - that all manner of group activities is so family focused that it actually makes them feel like the DON'T belong, which is quite ironic.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard this same concern from single Catholics a lot lately - that all manner of group activities is so family focused that it actually makes them feel like the DON'T belong, which is quite ironic.

I have the added issue of being virtually the only non-Indian at the temple and being someone with significant social anxiety issues. I avoid department and company events at work. Don't get me wrong, no one has ever made me feel uncomfortable at the temple. But when I'm there alone for a festival I think "I don't belong here". Of course that's not true. It's God's house, and he has invited me.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I didn’t see listed among the alternatives - Occupational responsibilities and obligations.