• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you participate in communal worship service?

Why do you participate in communal worship services?

• to educate myself on my faith

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • to gain insights about how to apply my faith to my life

• to fellowship with others who share my beliefs

• to have access to outreach and service opportunities

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • to better worship God

• to help me raise my children in my faith

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • to feel like a part of something bigger than myself

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • to fellowship with others who share my values

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • to have somewhere to go on a regular basis that gets me out of the house

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • to admire the architecture, art, music available in my place of worship

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
If there are other reasons not listed, please include them in a comment. Also, do any of you attend different places of worship because each meets different needs for you?

I mostly attend communal worship services to pray for RF atheists. They need all the prayer I can muster IMHO!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I mostly attend communal worship services to pray for RF atheists. They need all the prayer I can muster IMHO!
IMHO: Useful prayer for Atheists is:

"Please Father forgive me, that I have sinned again, belittling Atheists, by telling them, that they need Religion or my God"

Karolina

My screen name is RabbiO. I use that screen name because that is, in fact, what I am.... a (Reform) rabbi.

Does that answer your question?

So... You're saying someone may only be going to a place of worship due to their vocational commitments? (Clergy, staff, volunteer) I'm not sure I'd understand why someone would want to link themselves with a place of worship strictly out of obligation, and in not sure I'd want to have leadership in my place of worship coming from people who aren't inspired by the message being preached.
That said, I can see your point of it being one of several reasons. Yes, I see it, thank you.

Because love is pointless without sharing it with others and Christian worship is inherently communal as it is about sharing of ourselves and so on. It goes back to the nature of the Trinity to me. The Divine Persons of the Trinity eternally share of Themselves in love and hope and so that is the blueprint of how to live our lives.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Cheers.

I've heard this same concern from single Catholics a lot lately - that all manner of group activities is so family focused that it actually makes them feel like the DON'T belong, which is quite ironic.

Yeah, I go to church alone. It can certainly feel like that sometimes. Just remember that you aren't there for other people alone. You are there for God. I often invite friends to go along with me, I've found that simply being a more active part in the singing often helps me to feel more at home.

arthra

Baha'i
I visit a nearby Baha'i Center in a neighboring community usually once a week and so there is a regular class for children and the adults also gather and share ideas and prayers. I've done this regularly over years of time and seen changes and the maturing of the children.

There are also less frequent meetings in our cluster where we discuss various projects in our area.

In my own community we gather for Feasts which are held every nineteen days and here we have prayers, business and fellowship in our community. I think I enjoy sharing some of the Baha'i Writings and having discussions.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Today in synagogue we sang Hineh ma tov uma nayim. Shevet achim gam yachad. (Psalm 133:1) It translates roughly Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! (JPS)

That is what it is for me. The coming together to worship Hashem, not me as an individual, but as the People of Israel, united in our love and service.

And there's also the food at the oneg afterwards. That counts.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
If there are other reasons not listed, please include them in a comment. Also, do any of you attend different places of worship because each meets different needs for you?

i like what you write
thanks (^_^)

for us as muslims
congregational prayer when it is held, most of the attendees may be guilty, while a some immaculate and pure persons joins us, which is a reason for everyone's mercy

When we go to prayer to ask God to rain
We go and pray with people to unite prayer
We even take animals to stand with us
Because humans usually commit sins, while animals do not commit the same crimes that humans do to cause our mercy from Allah

When God sees us sharing in seeking mercy, this will be more successful

Note that God accepts repentance to everyone who prays and has sins, but praying in congregation will be more blessing

thanks
god mercy all of us
hugg :hatchedchick: