• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we pose rational arguments for God's existence, but none for heaven and hell?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
What I mean by this is, we have deductive reasoning as well as ontological arguments and Pascal's wager regarding the existence of God, but we have none for Hell except scriptural explanations. The atheist may say "if the Judeo-Christian and Islamic deity is true, I am doomed to hell because of my disbelief therefore God is malevolent due to my own disbelief." It seems we provide (or attempt) explanations why God exists from a philosophical standpoint even cosmological, but none regarding eschatological destinations such as heaven and hell. We offer no real explanations why people will suffer for being irreligious or even evil. I can pose an explanation of why I perceive heaven to exist as a destination where "good" people go. I can also can pose an explanation why evil people go to hell, but there is no popular principle why we make arguments concerning their existence. I'm curious why...

Curious George

Veteran Member
What I mean by this is, we have deductive reasoning as well as ontological arguments and Pascal's wager regarding the existence of God, but we have none for Hell except scriptural explanations. The atheist may say "if the Judeo-Christian and Islamic deity is true, I am doomed to hell because of my disbelief therefore God is malevolent due to my own disbelief." It seems we provide (or attempt) explanations why God exists from a philosophical standpoint even cosmological, but none regarding eschatological destinations such as heaven and hell. We offer no real explanations why people will suffer for being irreligious or even evil. I can pose an explanation of why I perceive heaven to exist as a destination where "good" people go. I can also can pose an explanation why evil people go to hell, but there is no popular principle why we make arguments concerning their existence. I'm curious why...
Perhaps some do, though I am not familiar with them. Did you search for some? If you do come across any, please post them here as well.

Aldrnari

Honestly, it will be interesting to see where this thread goes. I have a feeling it will become swept away to the debate section in no time, though. :D

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
One-trick ponies?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Hell is when your mind is a mess and you torture yourself with unskillful thoughts and actions. (Your mileage may vary)

PureX

Veteran Member
As far as I know, there are no more or less rational arguments for the nature and existence of gods than there are for the nature and existence of an afterlife. Those who believe in such things do so because they find it to there advantage to do so. And this who do not, do so for the same reasons. And the various "evidence" posed in support of such personally held beliefs are relative, subjective, and non-transferable to others. So that from my perspective, both God and the afterlife are profound mysteries that we each choose to resolve, or nor resolve, depending upon our own character, needs, and desires.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Just more literal interpretations of the bible. Think metaphorically and descriptions start to make sense. Take the bible literally and... well... you see.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The atheist may say "if the Judeo-Christian and Islamic deity is true,
Jews, Christians and Muslims have different views on the nature of God (and what the meaning of heaven and hell is).

Muslims have the 99 Names of Allah 99 Names of Allah (Al Asma Ul Husna) - with Meaning and Explanation which is not something that Christians have.

And the beliefs about the afterlife also vary Three Questions for Comparing and Contrasting the Afterlife Beliefs of Six Prominent World Religions | Immortality Project

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Jews, Christians and Muslims have different views on the nature of God (and what the meaning of heaven and hell is).

Muslims have the 99 Names of Allah 99 Names of Allah (Al Asma Ul Husna) - with Meaning and Explanation which is not something that Christians have.

And the beliefs about the afterlife also vary Three Questions for Comparing and Contrasting the Afterlife Beliefs of Six Prominent World Religions | Immortality Project

I'm quite aware of this...I just wanted the opinions of others in their own words.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
As far as I know, there are no more or less rational arguments for the nature and existence of gods than there are for the nature and existence of an afterlife. Those who believe in such things do so because they find it to there advantage to do so. And this who do not, do so for the same reasons. And the various "evidence" posed in support of such personally held beliefs are relative, subjective, and non-transferable to others. So that from my perspective, both God and the afterlife are profound mysteries that we each choose to resolve, or nor resolve, depending upon our own character, needs, and desires.

Interesting

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think it's a matter of first things first. Unless the existence of god is established beyond a doubt all else is moot. And so far his existence hasn't met that requirement.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think that a lot of people who throw around arguments for God see their whole worldview as a package deal: they think that if they "prove" God, it's a trivial leap to Christianity (or Islam, or whatever the person happens to believe). They aren't worried about proving Heaven or Hell without God, and don't think they need lots of justification for them once God is a given.

That being said, I have seen people argue for them from time to time.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

We are made in God's image, and we preserve all our experiences and information to the extent we possibly can

Is there any logical reason that God would wish to discard everything we have experienced in life?

i.e. are there any good arguments against there being an afterlife?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Because some religion worship God, yet do not believe in heaven nor hell.
Indeed: so establishing the existence of God isn’t enough to establish the existence of Heaven and Hell. Instead, someone who wants to justify belief in God, Heaven & Hell would need to give Heaven & Hell their own justification.

It happens, but only occasionally.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We are made in God's image, and we preserve all our experiences and information to the extent we possibly can

Is there any logical reason that God would wish to discard everything we have experienced in life?

i.e. are there any good arguments against there being an afterlife?
Is there an argument for why God would wish to discard your experiences that wouldn’t also apply to hydrogen? God supposedly made an awful lot of it. It stands to reason that he wanted it all for something and wouldn’t want to just throw it away.