• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some Atheists, Christians, Hindu's etc., believe in Islamic ahadith so passionately?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Surely what the responses are saying is that these critics of Islam don't believe the hadiths, but are quoting them as a means of showing up what they think are inconsistencies or unreasonable demands in Islam.

A great many non-muslims (including myself) do not fully understand the relation between the hadiths and the Koran or the degree to which they are seen as authoritative. So that's part of the problem, I expect.

Well, at least you have the character to say you dont know the relationship between ahadith and the Quran.

But your statements about the responses is a misrepresentation of the responses. The OP is quoting a person not questioning Islam on inconsistencies, but a person who is always being inconsistent in the questioning. If you read the OP again maybe you would understand the whole point.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I have asked this question once I believe in this forum but I cannot remember clearly. There was a recent discussion that triggered this question.

A: Muhammed ordered killing of a woman
B: Why do you believe that?
A: Because its in the hadith.
B: Why do you believe that hadith?
A: Because Muslims do.
B: Do you believe everything Muslims believe?
A: Not everything, but the hadith are all true because Muslims believe it.
B: So do you believe Muhammed split the moon?
A: I dont care.

Hope you get the gist. I would like some insight from you if you have some time.

Peace.

I wonder who these "atheists" etc are that you are talking about, or which discussion exactly you are referring to.

In particular, I'm not really buying that it went down like you are presenting it here.
Sounds like you are trying to say that non-muslims hold religious muslim beliefs.
Doesn't really make any sense.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Thats perfectly fine.

But the question is this. If I ask you "did God really order job to kill his children"? How would you answer?

As an atheist, I would say "according to the bible, yes. According to me, no god exists to give such orders, so no".

You would probably say "I dont believe in anything, I am only questioning your belief". Am I correct? But that's not the question I am asking. If you quote this passage from the book of Job as a fact or/and actually historical, and when asked "why do you believe it is" you reply "because Christians say so", that's when the OP is relevant.

Can you point me to any atheist who quotes such a passage as if it were factual?

I hope you understand.

I don't understand at all and I think you are heavily misrepresenting the people you are talking about.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I have asked this question once I believe in this forum but I cannot remember clearly. There was a recent discussion that triggered this question.

Hope you get the gist. I would like some insight from you if you have some time.

Peace.
I don't believe any of it BUT believers must ask themselves why they believe these things?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't believe any of it BUT believers must ask themselves why they believe these things?

Do you have any beliefs? What do you believe that world is as independent of the mind? What is morally right and wrong? Is science right(non-moral) as for what the world is?

firedragon

Veteran Member
As an atheist, I would say "according to the bible, yes. According to me, no god exists to give such orders, so no".

Can you point me to any atheist who quotes such a passage as if it were factual?

I don't understand at all and I think you are heavily misrepresenting the people you are talking about.

Shah. Very clever. You clever mate. Good.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I wonder who these "atheists" etc are that you are talking about, or which discussion exactly you are referring to.

In particular, I'm not really buying that it went down like you are presenting it here.
Sounds like you are trying to say that non-muslims hold religious muslim beliefs.
Doesn't really make any sense.

Very good.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well, at least you have the character to say you dont know the relationship between ahadith and the Quran.

But your statements about the responses is a misrepresentation of the responses. The OP is quoting a person not questioning Islam on inconsistencies, but a person who is always being inconsistent in the questioning. If you read the OP again maybe you would understand the whole point.
I have no problem acknowledging there is plenty I don't know about Islam. My contact with it was only fleeting.

But I'm afraid I am sceptical that the exchange reported in the OP really went as you portray it. In particular the exchange: "Why do you believe that hadith? Because muslims do." does not ring true, to me. It makes no sense for a non-muslim, critical of islam, to say that.

Perhaps if you can trace and quote the actual exchange, we can see where misunderstanding may have arisen.

Peace.
They want to believe, or insist upon others believing, something or anything which makes Muhammed appear evil, and Muslims to appear evil from the beginning.

They do not believe anything really, except that everything rotten and horrible must be the source of Islam, its origin, its history.

They certainly don't believe in any miracle or splitting of the moon business, and even if anyone goes so far as to think that such was actually ever witnessed, they may say that was an illusion cast by the powerful Devil they may believe in.

There are two groups of people:

People who believe some or all of the hadith
People who disbelieve in all of the hadith

maybe we can throw in those who are neutral or agnostic about it, but they generally might fall into one of those two other categories or lean towards one or the other.

Though I generally disbelieve in the hadith entirely, I am of the opinion that even if it were true, it is damaging and not what is best.

So similar to the people who don't care about the Hadith really but like it for how bad they can make Muhammed or Muslims sound, I am like a version of them except opposite, who want that the Hadith are put aside in favor of the Qur'an much more strongly, for the reason that I think what is in the Hadith (even if it were partially true or entirely true in every regard) is misleading, confusing, harmful, takes the mind to wrong and bad places, and causes harm to people ultimately and their mentality, giving ammunition to too many types of Muslims I don't like and too many types of Creep Non-Muslim Islam Haters I also don't like.

In the "Proof of Islam" thread, there is a person names Tokita, who seems to really dislike Islam quite strongly, but they heavily insist upon the importance of the Hadith, because they can't find much to fuss about or use to make Muslims appear as villains or imbeciles without those texts, so they insist that people must follow what they think is worst and wrong, just so they can have a reason to hate and destroy. That is because their intention is never to improve Islam or make it workable or usable for people, but that people should be forced or pressured to entirely abandon Islam without any compromise. Unfortunately, it is more than likely that those who abandon Islam entirely will also find no warm kinship really among the people who might mistreat them for their appearances, their ancestry, their skin pigmentation, their names, or whatever else.

Ultimately, they may never be satisfied with one another, since hate is a festering disease and Islam is only the entry point to what grows underneath it all, which is more than likely just straight up petty racism, not too different from the argument of Iblis "they are made of mud, I am made of flame" or whatever, the first "Hater" we know of, and their true spiritual Daddy.

I have no problem acknowledging there is plenty I don't know about Islam. My contact with it was only fleeting.

But I'm afraid I am sceptical that the exchange reported in the OP really went as you portray it. In particular the exchange: "Why do you believe that hadith? Because muslims do." does not ring true, to me. It makes no sense for a non-muslim, critical of islam, to say that.

Perhaps if you can trace and quote the actual exchange, we can see where misunderstanding may have arisen.

I laughed at this LOL, yes, I also perceived the dialogue as made up, but thought it was made up as a sort of example rather than representing a real thing that would ever necessarily occur exactly like that. Its hilarious to me though to actually imagine a stupid interaction like that, but I understood it as unreal "but true" in the sense that I too have experienced interactions which "translate" or "amount to" just about that, except not in those exact words (those exact words which I also doubt fire-dragon experienced first hand, but maybe they actually did LOL).

People object to Islam because it isn't called whatever their belief or personal "team" is called, it has a different name, so its a different team, but even more disturbing now is the stuff shown on tv, propaganda showing a tiny proportion of insane and annoying people who call themselves Muslims and make the "other team" seem even worse.

They could theoretically be any "other team" like "The Commies" and it might be practically the same story playing out. It is all arbitrary, pointless, meaningless.

People hate what is "different" or "not like them" and even more so "ugly" and "shouldn't be like that ourselves".

The people who hate Muslims are pretty much "Everybody who isn't a Muslim" and the people who Muslims hate are pretty much "Everybody who won't sleep with a Muslim and convert to Islam", and it will more than likely be that way until the end, or for a very long time, even if the name Muslim changes to Chi'aks or something.

Muslims generally want everyone to be Muslims and to like them too (even be attracted to them).

Non-Muslims generally want everyone to be Non-Muslims.

There are people who are "nicey-nice" about Islam, or flirting with it (or with Muslims) but they are a mixture of "converts to be" or "lazy people who just find the people or food to be nice and not so bad" or "I like being friends with the enemy, its cool", or all kinds of variants, but the vast majority are most likely people who don't care much overall, but are whatever they are and are not interested in Islam or are critical of it based on it being different and also annoying on Television depictions and associated with Terrorism and Violence and bearded men yelling and violent scary ugly images and faces and bloodshed and all that shown over and over and over, despite the reality being that most Muslims across the world are just scuttling around making money and eating food and having sex and birthing babies like every other human, except with cleaner bums and genitals (hopefully) due to washing, and interruptions with prayer breaks (for some).

Hate is "something to do", and it can feel sort of nice, fiery, empowering, to hate something or some group or someone, to have an opinion, to fight some other team and have a team.

Its mainly something that the frustrated to, sort of projecting all their failures and frustrations and pain onto some sort of enemy they can make it their mission to say is rotten and vile, and even if it really doesn't do much in the big picture, it helps some people feel better, even possibly slightly better about themselves using the mechanism(s) of hubris.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

As a proper noun hadith
is the entire collection of hadiths (sayings and deeds) of muhammad with a particular branch of islam or islamic jurisprudence.

Why do some Atheists, Christians, Hindu's etc., believe in Islamic ahadith so passionately?

I am not one of them

But I can imagine that some use it to prove that not everything Muhammad said/did is true. Especially when some Muslims claim that Muhammad received God's message AND that the Koran is the word of God AND therefore without error, which are quite huge claims; huge in the sense that if you can find 1 error you have proven them wrong.