• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people have children?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree there's an innate urge to breed, if not to breed at least to have sex -- which frequently amounts to the same thing.
People used to have as many children as possible, both to increase/continue their tribe and to care for them in old age. But what used to be functional before civilized social organization, modern medicine, &c, is now dysfunctional and threatens not only our own continued prosperity but the ecological health of the Planet itself.

We are beyond the carrying capacity of our ecosystem. We are overpopulated. We're a planetary infection. Is it really moral to have children?

No-one has brought up adoption. Why is this option not being considered?
Adoption contributes to human prosperity. Breeding diminishes it. Why are more people not adopting?

no-body

Unconsciously there is an instinctual base drive telling us our purpose is to propagate. Then there is societal, cultural drives telling you that is what everyone aspires to along with having lots of stuff. Ego I believe plays a huge part as well, I want little versions of myself to carry on my name and my legacy.

When you think about it is all tied to the same unconscious drive but I'm not knocking the need to carry on with life just that we stop and think before we mindlessly do things just because that's the way it's always been.

GrsshppR

Uber Boy
What I think is sad, is when
A) Girls have babies at really young age and cannot handle the responsibility and either they become orphans or they just have a miserable life without a father/on the street...etc
B) When women with many kids and can't provide for them keep having them!
C) Parents have their children and send them off to strangers for the first 20 yrs of their life and do not love them at all.
To me, thats outrageous.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Seriously, bringing another life into this sad, sad world ... what's the point? Why do people do it? What's so exciting about this, anyway?:shrug:

A lot of time it is for optimism, they depend on the kids of the future and believe it could get bigger.

But I'm pessimist and hope a child of mine doesn't have to touch this demented world.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Seriously, bringing another life into this sad, sad world ... what's the point? Why do people do it? What's so exciting about this, anyway?:shrug:

Sometimes my own mother said the exact same thing 50 years ago. I guess she thought the world was a sad sad place then too.

I'm guessing at any period in history since people could think, someone thought it was a sad sad place. I certainly don't, BTW.

idea

Question Everything
I never wanted to have children, was never that impressed with other people's kids... then I had kids, and only after the fact through the experience has my perspective changed - for me it was one of those "have to experience it to figure out what it is all about" sort of things. I have not yet had the full experience - mine are ages 4,6,9 - so we are all in the midst of having the experience right now. Through my children I understand my own parents better, I understand myself better, and have become a better person for them. I am more concerned for the future, more concerned for everything - children give you a reason to care, they allow you to care on a whole new level that just isn't there without them...

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend chisti,

Why do people have children?

Babies of humans are called so; that is why.
Our parents would know, why they allowed our birth??

Should they have killed the fetus that we were before birth?? is that what you mean??
Guess most births are not planned and are a result of sexual desires.

Rgds sadness in this world; it is an individual's perspective as we are part of existence and existence itself is heavenly where we belong sadness only develops due to the thought waves that distorts the view / perspective of TRUTH!

Love & rgds

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I agree there's an innate urge to breed, if not to breed at least to have sex -- which frequently amounts to the same thing.
People used to have as many children as possible, both to increase/continue their tribe and to care for them in old age. But what used to be functional before civilized social organization, modern medicine, &c, is now dysfunctional and threatens not only our own continued prosperity but the ecological health of the Planet itself.

We are beyond the carrying capacity of our ecosystem. We are overpopulated. We're a planetary infection. Is it really moral to have children?

For one, I doubt most people think overpopulation is a present concern, unless they live in an overpopulated area. I grew up in a family that believed it was God's will to have many children and that overpopulation was a either a myth or not a big concern. It simply wasn't a factor for me when I decided to have kids.

For another, the morality issues of having children meets the morality issues of preventing having them - and all the different reasons people have for both.

No-one has brought up adoption. Why is this option not being considered? Adoption contributes to human prosperity. Breeding diminishes it. Why are more people not adopting?

Adoption is very expensive and requires planning. Baby-making is free, easy, fun, and often accidental! I know a few couples who gave up trying to adopt after the birth moms changed their minds and decided to keep their babies. It was heart-wrenching. Though adoption via foster care can be cheaper and easier to obtain. We've considered foster care for several years.....maybe it's time to make a plan.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
If all the world abided to a strict routine of only adoption for even a few years human civilization would collapse when it came time to rely on the output of said generation, creating an ecological and organic catastrophe.

Adoption is certainly a process in need of overhaul both in terms of the legal system and its place in the public's mind, but reproduction is vital to the survival of any species.

I just like the idea of combining my genes with another person and seeing what comes out.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Many men also have a deep yearning and desire to have children - often several children. I know my husband did and still does. However, no more kids for us! As my dad said after my "hystericalectomy" - "So, they took out the crib but left the playpen!"

Between us (we have a blended family) we have five kids and seven grandkids, with three kids still not married and with no children yet, so there's no telling how many grandchildren we will eventually have to love and kiss on. So it's a great relief to me to get to "romp" without having to worry about birth control. Let someone else worry about that for awhile!

It's all good...!

roger1440

I do stuff
The very first commandment in the entire Bible was go out and make whoopee. This is not a reference to whoopee Goldberg.

photo-main.jpg