• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people have children?

Chisti

Seriously, bringing another life into this sad, sad world ... what's the point? Why do people do it? What's so exciting about this, anyway?:shrug:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Children are our hope for the future. They are the manifestation of love. They are examples of unconditional love and innocence. They are fascinating. They are a blessing. And they're fun to love on and spoil and educate and nurture.

They're the gift that keeps on giving - and taking!

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I don't live in a sad sad world.
I live in a magnificent wonderment of endless potential. I see that in children.
As to why I had them - I had a longing, I wanted a family. My longing guided me well :D

Kathryn

Good point, Stephen.

There is so much beauty, poignancy, delight, and love in this world. To watch a child discover these facets of life is truly a precious gift.

Kathryn

Children are far from free! But they're an excellent investment. Great ROI.

lunakilo

Seriously, bringing another life into this sad, sad world ... what's the point? Why do people do it? What's so exciting about this, anyway?:shrug:
Well they get drunk, have sex and then ... oh, that's not what you ment :D

Before I had children, I am not sure what made me want to have any. I just did.
Peple could tell me all the reasons not to have children, the reasons would often make sense to me, but I still wanted to have children.

I have 2 children now. They do all the horrible things I was warned against :)
But it dosn't matter.

The most incredible thing about having children is that you get to see a miracle.
They come as a little lump of meat with arms and legs.
This little lump of meat grows and turns into a person who can do incredible things like walk and talk and break things.
They learn something new every day, and you are privileged enough to be there to witness it.

Soon they start saying things like this:

Mum: Stop whining. I don't want to listen to it. Stop it or I won't let you sit on the table while I cook, I will put you on the floor.:mad:
Daughter: That won't work mum, you can still hear me if I am on the floor. :shrug:

Having children really is an incredible adventure :)

Kathryn

I guess like any other investment, the payoff is dependant on what you put in.

That and your rate of interest - children are not a fixed rate product. Unfortunately, we can't sell them when they drop in value...

0.bmp

goth-girls.jpg

Emo_8.jpg

08e675ef94634aec86d93cccb3a0aff8.jpg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Children are our hope for the future. They are the manifestation of love. They are examples of unconditional love and innocence. They are fascinating. They are a blessing. And they're fun to love on and spoil and educate and nurture.

They're the gift that keeps on giving - and taking!
Yet they're the single greatest threat not only to the survival of our species, but the health of the ecosystem that supports all species.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I truly can't explain why I wanted kids, other than biological drive. "Drive" doesn't fully explain the constant yearning, the physical changes that happened when I held a baby, or the sense of the primeval and divine during pregnancy, labor, childbirth, breastfeeding, and parenting.

Why I chose to give in to that drive in the face of other factors is another discussion. :D

MissAlice

LOL. Well I don't want to insult anyone's drive to have children but I've ask this question myself. My guess is there is a "biological" drive but let's also not forget many cultural trends that pander this importance of having a family after you're an adult. I personally have never understood it but I've been under this scrutinity by my aunts and uncles. "When are you going to get married and have children?" My poor grandmother kept saying the same thing until she died. After her death I was like :sorry1:

Not everyone lives in a sad world but given the circumstances around the world, not every child will be able to go to college, afford a home of their own and the very things many of us take for granted. After my sister had 3 of hers I thought it wonderful but she's been having to deal with many hardships. It's definitely a commitment and something people should think about seriously before having one imo. Sadly not all people do or even plan on it.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This seems a pretty pessimistic view.

Some children, if raised correctly and that receive a reasonable amount of good fortune, will live happy and content lives.

waitasec

Veteran Member

i didn't want to have children...i waited until i was 37. when i hit 35 my clock was ticking and i knew that it would be now or never... my decision was based on time, time i knew i had little of. so i guess life was telling me...choose.
so i did and when i had my little bundle of joy i wished i had him 10 yrs earlier
but at the same time i wouldn't have been able to explore as freely as i did.

but i'll tell you something, once i knew i was pregnant, i felt as though i belonged to something bigger than myself...i felt a connection to life more than ever before and i don't think anyone can explain it, it's something you need to go through to understand.

i think people have children because life goes on...

evane123

I think life might go on but i think there is not a need to have many children that are not economical. I think by having many children the standard of living does not improve much if any and might lessen. I think poverty crime is a serous problem added to with children. I think instead of having many children people could have community babies. I think people should not even have community babies but i think i do not want to go into detail why. I think some people have children to enjoy the child and I think that is a child molester. I think child molesters are ussually women. I think women with "maternal" intenict, exchanging love with there partner, want to bring a child to enjoy(pet) into the world, etc. are molesting children. I think the problem of molesting children is huge. I think there are many pets because people want to nuter a life when they are actually creating a horrible submissive life. I think children might look happy and pets might look happy but that is only because they tried to avoid pain and with there small amount of intelligence became submissive and now are those things that some enjoy playing with. I think they are not improving the universe and i think the making of life has not been made "law" to only make life to improve the universe.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think life might go on but i think there is not a need to have many children that are not economical. I think by having many children the standard of living does not improve much if any and might lessen. I think poverty crime is a serous problem added to with children. I think instead of having many children people could have community babies. I think people should not even have community babies but i think i do not want to go into detail why. I think some people have children to enjoy the child and I think that is a child molester. I think child molesters are ussually women. I think women with "maternal" intenict, exchanging love with there partner, want to bring a child to enjoy(pet) into the world, etc. are molesting children. I think the problem of molesting children is huge. I think there are many pets because people want to nuter a life when they are actually creating a horrible submissive life. I think children might look happy and pets might look happy but that is only because they tried to avoid pain and with there small amount of intelligence became submissive and now are those things that some enjoy playing with. I think they are not improving the universe and i think the making of life has not been made "law" to only make life to improve the universe.

i think you're a single male in his early 20's
:p