• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do God/s "hide" from disbelievers?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I thought Druids had a number of gods/entities that was part of their relationship with nature.

Do they all look like this or is this one specific god?

There ARE multiple gods, this is the chief God Odin's one eye, of which I see during meditation, albeit infrequently. It's also been called the inner eye, third eye, and crown chakra. Depending on Culture/Context.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There ARE multiple gods, this is the chief God Odin's one eye, of which I see during meditation, albeit infrequently. It's also been called the inner eye, third eye, and crown chakra. Depending on Culture/Context.

It makes me wonder of a pattern. Christians tend to see jesus in prayer. Hindus (so found) sometimes see their god(s) or something similar in meditation. You see one of your gods in meditation. Some see lights and mystical objects, symbols, colors, and so forth.

Edit. Is there a human inability to see "mystical" or spiritual things that other people tend to have whether they take up a certain religion or have a life changing experience or not-without a clause: you must practice, you must believe to you are blind, you are ignorant, so have you)

I notice in a few religious I ask, they say it's a practice or personal experience and you need this, practice that, or believe in something in order to experience it sporadically when you're in a certain state of mind, in a higher consciousness, or one with god (and so forth).

I know not everyone is in cahoots with each other; but, it makes me wonder.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Why does it seems like God or Gods hide from disbelievers but atleast in some way are recognised by or shown to believers?

Any thoughts?

I do not believe God hides at all. From time to time He sends Messengers and They are clear to all and Their effect upon humanity and civilisation is there for all to see believer and non believer alike.

Moses, Christ, Muhammad and I also believe Krishna, Buddha and Baha’u’llah are the presence of God in our world Who come in human form bearing tidings from God.

We, like a painting, have not the capacity to know the Painter directly so God sends His Intermediaries to make Himself known to us.

If the sun were to directly descend to the earth, we would all perish. But through the rays we can receive light and life. The Prophets are as Rays from God to make God known to us and give us spiritual life.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It makes me wonder of a pattern. Christians tend to see jesus in prayer. Hindus (so found) sometimes see their god(s) or something similar in meditation. You see one of your gods in meditation. Some see lights and mystical objects, symbols, colors, and so forth.

Edit. Is there a human inability to see "mystical" or spiritual things that other people tend to have whether they take up a certain religion or have a life changing experience or not-without a clause: you must practice, you must believe to you are blind, you are ignorant, so have you)

I notice in a few religious I ask, they say it's a practice or personal experience and you need this, practice that, or believe in something in order to experience it sporadically when you're in a certain state of mind, in a higher consciousness, or one with god (and so forth).

Everyone Sees this at least once. Typically at death. You must kill the Spirit within and let it Free to See.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why does it seems like God or Gods hide from disbelievers but atleast in some way are recognised by or shown to believers?

Any thoughts?
According to the evidence, the number of real gods ─ those with objective existence ─ is zero.

So the old saying is correct: believing is seeing. The only way gods are known to exist is as concepts / things imagined in individual brains.

A Vestigial Mote

The gods aren't "undetectable beings", though... not most of them, anyway. We've all got shortcomings and inabilities - that can include the inability to classify gods as "real" and the inability to understand that gods are not necessarily "undetectable beings" for example. We've all got boxes we think inside that limit how we perceive the world. There's no shame in it; it's an inevitable human condition. The thesis I'm trying to get across is: it's not that the gods "hide" but that our assumptions about the world blind us to certain things.
I don't buy this at all.

If you can't readily share a thing's existence with me, then in what way can you even be sure yourself that it verifiably "exists?" If you admit that it can't be shared, then it is the same as it not existing for me. Just the same as if I told you I had a dragon in my basement, but each time you asked I made some excuse and never actually produced any shareable/verifiable evidence.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
**MOD POST**

THIS IS INTERFAITH DISCUSSION, WHICH IS NOT A DEBATE AREA OF THE FORUM. POST THAT ARE DEBATE IN NATURE ARE SUBJECT TO MODERATION UNDER RULE 10.

MonkeyFire

Dis-belief is God murder, knowing this God can be passive to mankind and it wouldn't effect him negatively, humans are the feeble ones, if you don't believe in God he wouldn't have to help you.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

My experience, I did seek the truth. Younger days. :D

Anyway, this meant investing a lot of faith/belief/practice into different beliefs.

I had mystical experiences, however they were always clothed in the symbols/theology of whatever religion I was practicing.
So you immerse yourself into a religion and what you/ok I, experienced took on the trappings of what was taught/expected.

I was told, not that I'm saying this is true, that God manifests according to your expectations in order to support where you happen to be on your journey to the truth.

I've other beliefs now but at the time it seemed to fit my experience.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If you can't readily share a thing's existence with me, then in what way can you even be sure yourself that it verifiably "exists?"

A lot of ties ties into the first point that I made about ontology. As it turns out, defining what is "real" and "exists" is neither simple nor straightforward. It's a philosophical question that has no absolute answer. Ultimately we cannot prove or disprove anything is real (or not real) or exists (or doesn't exist). But, if (and only if) we grant certain assumptions, we can. Whether or not someone can readily share something's existence with another depends on whether or not the two people view "existence" in similar ways. There can be some pretty significant personal and cultural differences there, as exemplified by
significant mismatch between how "theists" think about gods and how "atheists" think about gods.

For my part, showing the existence of most gods I worship is pretty trivial, even under more constrained ontological frameworks for what "existing" means. This still gets brushed aside by some, however, because of the second point I mentioned in my initial response to this thread: some refuse to acknowledge how other cultures and persons understand the world around them, whether its gods or something else, really. Put another way, if some concept of something doesn't fit someone's preconceived notions or assumptions about what that something is supposed to be, they'll tend to reject it as "fake" or "false" or "incorrect" rather than understanding it represents a cultural difference. This happens not just with theology, but all sorts of other topics.

Again, the crux of all this is that the gods do not
hide per se (though one could say they hide in plain sight) - a person's preconceptions about reality and their preconceptions about gods will make someone more or less aware. Deification is attributive - a title placed upon something - so it really becomes a seek and ye shall find sort of thing. :D

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
Do believers really see God? A lot of people say they believe God exists, but can they say they really see God in life? Does the world look differently to them? Do they see the Divine in others, and all life? Or is it an idea of God they believe in, and the experience of God is other to that?

So, I don't see it as much a question of those who believe in God verses non-believers. Rather its more about anyone being able to see the Divine, or not see the Divine in life, regardless of believing God exists or not.

Why is it than that some can see God and others not? It's simple. The truth is, everyone does see God. They just don't recognize it. They see it as something else.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dis-belief is God murder, knowing this God can be passive to mankind and it wouldn't effect him negatively, humans are the feeble ones, if you don't believe in God he wouldn't have to help you.
I still don't know what real thing you intend to denote when you say "God". All the descriptions and definitions of God that I'm aware of will only work with an imaginary being.

For example, there seems to be no objective test that will determine whether this keyboard I'm typing on is God or not. Yet if God has objective existence, is not just conceptual / imaginary, then there must be such a test.

MonkeyFire

I still don't know what real thing you intend to denote when you say "God". All the descriptions and definitions of God that I'm aware of will only work with an imaginary being.

For example, there seems to be no objective test that will determine whether this keyboard I'm typing on is God or not. Yet if God has objective existence, is not just conceptual / imaginary, then there must be such a test.

God doesn't require omnipotence if he wills to have a one time fight then easily become omnipotent as he had been. God Imo would be the living metabolic process of the Heaven and the cosmic realm. f God is LOVE then dis-belief is dangerous to Him, specifically atheism. Thus, he has no reason to intervene in your life unless you do believe. The only thing I am skeptical to is dis-belief so it doesn't hurt our universe further, which is ironic.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If God is LOVE then dis-belief is dangerous to Him, specifically atheism.
But if, as I think, love is an evolved biochemical response useful for breeding and for bonding the parents so that they nurture, protect and provide for the child until it has some measure of independence, then you and I can agree on the value and importance of love as a factor in human life. You associate it with God, I, following the evidence, think it's our natural hormonal response, but neither of those alters our view of its value ─ or at least need not.

We also find evolved responses that bond parent and child, and give us the tendency to respect authority and to be loyal to our groups. There's good research on these questions if they interest you.

I don't think you have any factual basis for declaring unbelievers to be bad, unloving people. If you do, please tell me about it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You mean the great Juju at the bottom of the sea, God, Allah, Zeus, Thor, Apollo.... or which one?

For instance, why do you think that Apollo was hiding from disbelievers, but not to believers in Him, in your opinion?

Ciao

- viole
I do not believe God hides, i just believe non believers cant see Gods signs in this world

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There are a few things that are wrong with your premise, in my opinion.

First, if God or gods are shown to believers, then why would there be a reason to believe?

Second, would you feel a need to hide from someone who didn't believe you existed?
God can be seen by everyone, my understanding is that non believers look to find God or disclaim God outside of them selvs. Mostly in my experience seekers look within them self to find God.