• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did the world reject the Messiah when He Did come?

sooda

Veteran Member
It's about both, plus other things. May the Lord open your eyes some day.

The Context of Isaiah 53
The key to deciphering any biblical text is to view it in context. Isaiah 53 is the fourth of the four “Servant Songs.” (The others are found in Isaiah chapters 42, 49 and 50.) Though the “servant” in Isaiah 53 is not openly identified – these verses merely refer to “My servant” (52:13, 53:11) – the “servant” in each of the previous Servant Songs is plainly and repeatedly identified as the Jewish nation. Beginning with chapter 41, the equating of God’s Servant with the nation of Israel is made nine times by the prophet Isaiah, and no one other than Israel is identified as the “servant”:

• “You are My servant, O Israel” (41:8)
  • “You are My servant, Israel” (49:3)
  • see also Isaiah 44:1, 44:2, 44:21, 45:4, 48:20
The Bible is filled with other references to the Jewish people as God’s “servant”; see Jeremiah 30:10, 46:27-28; Psalms 136:22. There is no reason that the “servant” in Isaiah 53 would suddenly switch and
refer to someone other than the Jewish people.

One obvious question that needs to be addressed: How can the “Suffering Servant,” which the verses refer to grammatically in the singular, be equated with the entire Jewish nation?

continued

Isaiah 53: The Suffering Servant

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I did too, and the teachings of Paul and Jesus were aligned on the important issues, including the deity of Jesus.

Deity of Jesus
  1. Jesus
    1. "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am," (John 8:58). Compare with Exodus 3:14, "And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, "I AM has sent me to you."
  2. Paul
    1. "For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form," (Col. 2:9). See also, Phil. 2:5-8.

Did Jesus and Paul teach the same thing? | CARM.org

I told you that the 'Jesus is God' spin is 'Pauline and Johannan spin'.......... and what did you quote in reply? ....... Pauline and Johannan spin .

If you believe it, then you believe it, but having studied the Christian Jesus story I am quite sure that it is all ...... spin. :shrug:

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
I told you that the 'Jesus is God' spin is 'Pauline and Johannan spin'.......... and what did you quote in reply? ....... Pauline and Johannan spin .

If you believe it, then you believe it, but having studied the Jesus story I am quite sure that it is all ...... spin. :shrug:

Funny that most people take it for granted .. assuming Jesus said he was God.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
So its not my imagination.. Seems to me that it becomes political very early on..

From the beginning of the Baptist's mission it was political.

And neither he nor Jesus 'taught' folks, they made speeches to them.

I always grin when I read about how Jesus 'taught' the crowds, and I try to apply that term to modern day politicians, as in 'President Trump was on television today, teaching the people'. ..... etc.

Both the Baptist and Jesus were objectors, demonstrators, agitators, and for a very good cause; they wanted an honest priesthood, the old laws kept, the end of Temple corruption.

It says so...... ! :)

sooda

Veteran Member
From the beginning of the Baptist's mission it was political.

And neither he nor Jesus 'taught' folks, they made speeches to them.

I always grin when I read about how Jesus 'taught' the crowds, and I try to apply that term to modern day politicians, as in 'President Trump was on television today, teaching the people'. ..... etc.

Both the Baptist and Jesus were objectors, demonstrators, agitators, and for a very good cause; they wanted an honest priesthood, the old laws kept, the end of Temple corruption.

It says so...... ! :)

Yes.. I think so too.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Funny that most people take it for granted .. assuming Jesus said he was God.

Humans see what they want to see..........
Many of us grew up, being fed this stuff with our porridge each morning. After a while it just stuck in our heads, until we bothered to research for ourselves. :)

sooda

Veteran Member
Many of us grew up, being fed this stuff with our porridge each morning. After a while it just stuck in our heads, until we bothered to research for ourselves. :)

I certainly had a steady diet of Bible stories growing up.

JJ50

And when I was old enough to research it for myself, instead of being force fed the Biblical garbage as a child, I lost my faith.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
All the way thru the entire book of Isaiah he calls Israel the servant of God. It very clear.
How is Isaiah 53 about the people of Israel?

I believe that this chapter is about Jesus and Baha'u'llah, and there are many other chapters like it.
Why do you think it says "he", "him" and "a man?"

It is very clear how most of this chapter and many others are is about Baha'u'llah; if you know the history of the Baha'i Faith. it is self-evident.

Isaiah 53 King James Version (KJV)

53 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
All the way thru the entire book of Isaiah he calls Israel the servant of God. It very clear.
This is also very clear, and there are many more prophecies like it.

Isaiah 35 King James Version (KJV)

35 The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.

2 It shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing: the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the Lord, and the excellency of our God.