1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Why did the Jews reject their Messiah when he DID come?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Jonathan Bailey, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Jonathan Bailey

Jonathan Bailey Active Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Religion:
    Considering getting back into the fold: coming home to Jesus in an Affirmed Church this time.
    Did they not recognize Him as earlier prophesied in the OT?

Christians consider Him as Lord, Jesus Christ.

Maybe the Jews will finally get it on His second coming?

#1 Jonathan Bailey, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Religion:
    N/A
    Rather presumptuous to claim to know better than the Jews who their Messiah should be.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    The God of gods
    They didn't. JESUS is from Juda, book of Hebrews, many Jews adhere to Jesus.

4. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

Ratings:
    +1,945
    Religion:
    Judaism
    It took me quite awhile to realize that you've been putting us on, that you've been laughing at us because we all bought into the persona you've been presenting - amazingly ignorant, astonishingly arrogrant, totally unaware of reality.

You've played your part quite well. You've been very convincing. Eventually, however, I realized that no one could be as totally devoid of sense as the character who you created.

Now that you've been outted, I look forward to conversing with the real you.

On the off chance that I am incorrect. - :facepalm:

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 4
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  5. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    The God of gods
    A better question would be, 'why am I sticking up for Jesus'. I have my reasons.

6. Jonathan Bailey

Ratings:
    +162
    Religion:
    Considering getting back into the fold: coming home to Jesus in an Affirmed Church this time.
    John has the answer:

John 4:25-30 King James Version (KJV)

25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

27 And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?

28 The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,

29 Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?

30 Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.

Messiah
    is from Hebrew and means "anointed".
    Christ is from Greek and means "the anointed one".

7. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    The God of gods
    I'm always sticking up for Jesus. Not a problem, here.

8. Jonathan Bailey

Ratings:
    +162
    Religion:
    Jesus said He was the Messiah to the woman and what more is there to believe?
    I can't believe Jesus would lie.

9. susanblange

susanblange Active Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Religion:
    Jewish/New Age
    It is prophesied that the Jews would initially reject the Messiah until he comes with power. Job 24:1. Psalm 110:3. The true Jewish Messiah came 35 years ago and saved the world from global nuclear destruction. The Messiah is "forgotten as a dead man out of mind". Psalm 31:12. The Jews have never accepted Jesus because he was not the Messiah. He is the modern day idol of Israel and he has tried to lead the children of Israel astray.

10. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    The God of gods
    Not a problem, though it means there is at at least translation error, as Yeshua would be all knowing.

11. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Religion:
    N/A
    You neglected to identify this individual.
    I have had a similar conversation on another forum, and I am wondering if you are referring to the Rebbe, of whom no significant number of Jews believe was the Messiah.
    Please, clarify.

12. Jonathan Bailey

Ratings:
    +162
    Religion:
    JESUS comes from Hebrew, God is salvation.

The Meaning of the Name 'Jesus Christ'

The New Testament was written in Greek, and the name “Jesus” here means the same in Greek as the Hebrew name “Joshua.” “Joshua” means literally God is salvation. So the angel’s message to Joseph was “You shall call His name ‘God is salvation,’ for He will save His people from their sins.” That name tells us of Jesus’ purpose in God’s plan-that it is through Him that God saves humanity.

13. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,314
    Religion:
    Mega-Super-Ultra-Orthodox Judaism
    Red Heifer!

I think @RabbiO has made all the comments this thread/OP needs from Jewish people.

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. steveb1

steveb1 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Religion:
    Jodo Shinshu Buddhism
    Jews, then and now, reject him because he wasn't the Messiah. He never fulfilled Jewish messianic prophecy: Messiah was to be "long in days", i.e., mature if not old, and Jesus died young; Messiah was to build a third temple - Jesus didn't; Messiah was to throw out Gentile oppressors - Jesus didn't; Messiah was to bring all nations to worship in the restored temple - Jesus didn't. Etc. Jews are educated and smart enough not to let Christians pull the New Testament over Jewish eyes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Samantha Rinne

Samantha Rinne Active Member

Ratings:
    +243
    Religion:
    Follower (and Writer) of the Mune Shinri
    Because he threatened their notions of what Messiah should be.

He didn't free the Jews from the Romans. He healed on the Sabbath. He mocked the Pharisees and the Scribes. He (gasp) spoke with Samaritans and lepers.

Jesus was here to reform Judaism (especially its Sabbath laws), and gradually realized that the priesthood was too firmly entrenched and too committed to its traditions. It refused to listen to many of its prophets which demanded justice and mercy rather than sacrifice. Worse, the priests were bought by the Romans. Observe.

Render Unto Caesar: A Most Misunderstood New Testament Passage - LewRockwell LewRockwell.com

So gradually, throughout his ministry, Jesus turned his back on the Jews. So did the early Christians, gradually letting go of kosher. Effectively, Jesus is Messiah. But for the Gentiles. The Jews live under the old covenant.

#15 Samantha Rinne, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    The God of gods
    That's an academic theory, and therefore contradicts Scripture.

Matthew 1:20-24

Means the same thing as Immanuel, 'God with us'.

Unless you like wild theories that contradict the Bible. That's up to you.

17. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +821
    Religion:
    Judaism
    1. Virtually all the so-called prophecies that Christians say point to Jesus aren't actually messianic prophecies at all. They are about other matters entirely. Let me give one example. Matthew 2:15 says that Jesus fulfilled the prophecy "Out of Egypt have I called my son." This is a clear quotation of Hosea 11:1. But if you read all of Hosea 11:1 we see that it is not a prophecy at all, but a description of Israel and the Exodus: “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.” It is twisting scripture to use this as a messianic prophecy. And so it goes with virtually all the so-called messianic prophecies Christians use.

2. Of the ACTUAL messianic prophecies, Jesus fulfilled non of them. These are the ones which Christians claim Jesus will fulfill at his second coming, for example, bringing all the Jews out of diaspora and returning us to the Land of Israel, reigning as "David" over Israel from Jerusalem, bringing literal world peace between the Nations, etc. For Jews, the messianic prophecies are an all or nothing deal. Either a candidate fulfills all the prophecies (during his life) and he is the messiah, or he does not fulfill all of them and he is out of the running.

Given these reasons, the question is not why Jews reject Jesus as the Messiah, but why would anyone consider him the Messiah?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Howard Is

Howard Is Lucky Mud
    It's My Birthday!

Ratings:
    +485
    Religion:
    Loving Kindness
    You just made @RabbiO ’s point very clearly.

That is just such a blatantly, ridiculously circular argument, you must be a Poe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    The God of gods

Is your messiah some person named Yehoshua?

The name has to have the same meaning, as Immanuel, 'God with us'.

Your theory makes Jesus's name mean something else, which makes any reader immediately know that if the names mean different things, the verses about the names meaning the same thing, makes that reference to the prophecy, an indication that the prophecy didn't happen.
    Christians who believe that theory, are saying the Bible is wrong, or, Jesus isn't the Messiah.
    • these are acceptable variations of Jesus's name. [Variations of the same name are ok.
    Jesus
    Yesu
    Iesous
    Yeshu
    [And I include Yeshua as an acceptable variation,
    Yeshua

And some others.

'Yehoshua', and 'Yoheshua' are different names, and so would be Joshua, by your theory.[contradict the Bible.

#19 Desert Snake, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  20. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +8,677
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    The Old Testament doesn't mention Jesus whatsoever, so it's not surprising considering that Christianity is basically hijacked theology that has nothing to do with Judaism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1