• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why atheists and agnostics come to this forum?

lostwanderingsoul

Because religion has so much influence in this world of ours. In politics, education, ethics, etc - we non-believers need to understand religions and fight for equal rights and no special treatment for religions.
How about no special treatment for atheists when they complain about religious displays or an show of religion in public?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh dear, not Port Huron, I hope. Worst IHOP ever! (Had a boyfriend in Sarnia a billion years ago, so wandered down to Detroit once in a while to party.)
I'm near Ann Arbor.
Note that we're close enuf to Canuckistan that poutine is available, albeit not common.

Bob the Unbeliever

Respect and love to my atheist and agnostic brothers and sisters. Why they come to religious forums?.

I spent years over on the now defunct Topix/Atheism forum. I developed many friends over there, and some of them ended up here, when it went under. I received private messages from several, and followed them here. A decision I do not regret, as it's been quite interesting.

The heavy-handed moderation has been good for me, teaches me to curb my enthusiasm. ;):D
Isn't it that they are searching for spirituality, religion and God. Maybe,deep inside, they want to believe, or maybe deep inside, they do believe:)

Now, there is no need to be insulting. The majority of atheists I know? Were once True Believers™, but they got better. So did I.

My only regret is that I wasted so many years searching for a god who wasn't there in the first place... well into my 40's before my stubbornness let me finally admit there could not possibly be a god who cares about us lowly humans.

So, as I said, there's no need to be insulting.

How about if I turn it on your head? I could say: The only reason Theists are so stridently against the very existence of atheists, is that deep down, they know their faith is empty, deep down they know there is nothing to listen to their prayers....

But I wouldn't do that. That would be insulting.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Respect and love to my atheist and agnostic brothers and sisters. Why they come to religious forums?
Isn't it that they are searching for spirituality, religion and God. Maybe,deep inside, they want to believe, or maybe deep inside, they do believe:)

Why i come here?

First it was because the forum i previously frequented shadow banned everyone not on the north American continent. Something of a dirty trick with even overseas Americans and Canadians effected.
But the laws of payback are subtle and eventually, after losing much of their user base they have now had to close their forum complely.
My old forum was more diverse than RF but something of a food fight. There are several posters, both atheist and believers who have migrated to RF.

And why specifically RF?

Compared to the old, RF was a breath of fresh air, more educational than combative. I have learned a lot about different religious views that i was unaware of (I was christian until age 14, so somewhat limited in my outlook). Some of those views do not compliment the believer.

There is a lot of confusion about atheism, many religious people attach attributes that are totally irrelevant, some are very (very) derogatory, some only think of atheism in terms of rejecting their god... All nonsense of course but a good talking point.

As for your comment that atheists maybe want to believe, from what i know of atheists here on RF that is totally wrong. Of course, like me they want to learn, they want to know why believers believe in a mythology to the exclusion of reality despite the complete lack of evidence, despite all the evidences that contradict aspects of their belief, why? It is a real conundrum?

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Respect and love to my atheist and agnostic brothers and sisters. Why they come to religious forums?
>Here's a link< to an answer to this question that I posted on an earlier occasion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I never liked that assessment. It's simply not true.

There is really no deep inside yearning.

I participate in religious forums to address the issue of having beliefs without proof, and as to the how's and why's in debate and discussion

HonestJoe

Why do you assume atheists and agonists would have different reasons to anyone else? This isn’t a forum of religion, it is a forum about religion, for discussions and debates about all aspects of it (and note that religion is distinct from faith). Religion impacts all of us, regardless of individual beliefs and practices and so is of equal interest and relevance to us all.

Just like any other groupings, individual atheists and agonists will each have their own reasons for reading and/or posting here. I’m personally here because it’s a topic area that generally interests me and one that I think has potential for great impact (positive or negative). I generally find it interesting and entertaining to post here and only occasionally frustrating and rage-inducing. :cool: There are clearly other people who are here for very different reasons, everything from seeking something through to promoting their own beliefs. In and of itself, I think that range and variety is a positive thing.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Maybe they come because they also have formed their own religion without calling it religion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
BTW: in a similar vein, since this is a forum for all religions, should we assume that you came here because you're dissatisfied with the religion you have and you want to shop around? ;)