• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you an atheist?

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
burden-of-proof.jpeg

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hmm.

I'm not so big on that approach. IMO, the burden of proof doesn't necessarily lie on atheism or religion; it lies on whoever is interested in convincing someone else of their point of view.

I think the danger in pushing this "burden of proof" line of argument is that it creates the impression that atheism doesn't actually have any points in its favour, and instead only relies on the poor quality of theism's arguments.

For me, atheism isn't just a matter of falling into some default position because theism doesn't cut the mustard. IMO, the atheist position really does make sense on its own merits.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
Hmm.

I'm not so big on that approach. IMO, the burden of proof doesn't necessarily lie on atheism or religion; it lies on whoever is interested in convincing someone else of their point of view.

I think the danger in pushing this "burden of proof" line of argument is that it creates the impression that atheism doesn't actually have any points in its favour, and instead only relies on the poor quality of theism's arguments.

For me, atheism isn't just a matter of falling into some default position because theism doesn't cut the mustard. IMO, the atheist position really does make sense on its own merits.

Well, I agree that atheism does have its own merits.

Really, the only reason I posted the pic is because I found it on PZ Myers blog and wanted to share it.

Last edited:

David69

Angel Of The North
By definition that is not true, regardless of whether there is any truth to the existence of God, so no, that's not why we are atheists.

Some of us (myself included) can't however help but wonder why so many conceptions of God are in fact so deprived of virtue, to the point that they wouldn't be even particularly good people, much less deities.

Personally, I have a very hard time trying to picture myself as a Believer in the God of Abraham. There is a reason why it has been said that the Bible is an excellent tool for creating Atheists.

Well there are many Atheists here plugging away at it, day in and day out! BUT WHY?
Dont true none beleivers steer clear of religion instead of been obsessed by it?

Just curious.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well there are many Atheists here plugging away at it, day in and day out! BUT WHY?
Personally, I find religion fascinating. I don't believe in it myself, but that doesn't mean I can't find it interesting.

Dont true none beleivers steer clear of religion instead of been obsessed by it?
Who's obsessed with it?

Keep in mind that this site isn't the be-all and end-all of anyone's existence (well, maybe a few people, but they're in the minority :D). If you search my posts here, you'll find that almost all of them touch on religion... but that's because this is a site devoted to religion. You don't get all my ranting about things like auto racing or the weed problems I've been having with my lawn, which probably fills more of my actual time and thought than religion does. I suspect that the same is true for most people here: on this site, you only get the religious-focused discussion; everything else gets filtered out... but this doesn't mean that the other stuff doesn't exist.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Just curious.

Not in my case, at the very least. Religion is a very significant and influent activity. It exists, regardless of whatever the truth about God turns out to be.

In fact, I personally value religion a lot because I very much doubt that there is some God out there to act as a safety net of sorts. Since it is so, we will have to take care of ourselves as best as we can.

There is FAR more to religion than just belief in God.

David69

Angel Of The North
Personally, I find religion fascinating. I don't believe in it myself, but that doesn't mean I can't find it interesting.

Who's obsessed with it?

Just how it apeers to me that non beleievers on any religious forums know more about religion than some religious people. So what is it then if not an obsession? not all atheists are trolls or are out to take the micky of religion etc but have a genuine curiosity. Or do Atheist hang out for hope, wanting religion to be true because of something that happened in there life!
When I was an atheist I just wouldnt entertain religion at all but when I started to seek it to try and understand it and to understand myself I was no longer an atheist.
Now I am the Messiah heh heh.

But why are atheists so into Religion? You are fascinated by Religion and thats a good enough reason for me lol

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
But why are atheists so into Religion? You are fascinated by Religion and thats a good enough reason for me lol

Many aren't. Quite a few don't think too much about the matter and may not even have realized that they are atheistic. Many more decided that the trouble of claiming atheism is too big for the benefits accrued.

That is one of the reasons why people often underestimate the frequency of atheism.

Lin Ji

The true man without rank

Speaking about me, I have always been truly and strongly interested by every kind of religious and mystical study: it's a matter that fascinates me.

But, this is not the only reason for an atheist to study religion or to be intensely into it. Religion is a main issue in our world, deep energies from men and societies are involved in it. Just seeing how religion can move great masses of people (and money), into missionarism and/or terrorism, for example, makes it an important question with which anyone should feel concerned. It is no wonder that any interested person should firmly state his/her position in the debate, whether as a religious or secular activist.

And, for a secular activist, there's nothing more important than "knowing" the "enemy", I mean knowing the sacred textbooks in their faults, contradictions, problems, etc.etc., this is the reason why frequently atheists are more informed than the believers themselves about religion. Life as a believer is relatively simple: one has just to believe. (In the past, the church would not allow the flock to study the Bible.) Studying and knowing, is the needed work of the ones who have decided not to "believe", but to QUESTION and search for the truth.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
So what is it then if not an obsession?

An interest or fascination.

But why are atheists so into Religion?

Those who are, are into it because it's a very interesting subject. Personally, I like talking about religion because I find the fact that so many people believe in the equivalent of fairy tales as if they were true. I also like talking about religion because it's interesting to hear what some people think about the world, and you can get good insight into life and psychology.

You are fascinated by Religion and thats a good enough reason for me lol

Yes, I'm fascinated by religion. I'm not obsessed with it. Even if I was, the implication that I secretly believe or want to believe is silly.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just how it apeers to me that non beleievers on any religious forums know more about religion than some religious people.
Sometimes.

A lot of the time, this happens because the person starts out as religious, and the process of learning more about their religion draws them further and further from it, until they no longer believe at all.

So what is it then if not an obsession? not all atheists are trolls or are out to take the micky of religion etc but have a genuine curiosity. Or do Atheist hang out for hope, wanting religion to be true because of something that happened in there life!
Well, speaking for myself, here's the short version of how I wound up here: growing up, I never felt any draw towards religion. I have a few loved ones who are quite religious, and at different times, they asked me to seriously consider becoming a Christian. Because of my regard for them, I started reading, reflecting and exploring... and wound up here.

Over time, I've come to the realization that Christianity isn't a good fit for me at all, and that I'd probably need a "Damascus Road"-type experience to ever accept it, but meanwhile, I discovered that I enjoy the sort of conversation we have here. This is partly because of the religious aspect (which, as I mentioned, I do find interesting), but also because of the debate.

In fact, I've recently gotten involved with a RL club that's dedicated to debate, mainly on non-religious topics.

When I was an atheist I just wouldnt entertain religion at all but when I started to seek it to try and understand it and to understand myself I was no longer an atheist.
Now I am the Messiah heh heh.
If you've found something that works for you, I suppose that's a good thing, but in my experience, the process tends to go the other way: learning about religion tends to push people from faith.

I'm still wondering what gave you this impression. I have an idea; maybe you can tell me whether I'm on-track or not: I've noticed that many theists have a tendency to assume that other people are theists unless they know otherwise.

Probably a significant percentage of the people you encounter on a daily basis who don't mention anything about religion or don't give any outward sign of their beliefs are atheists. When you say "atheists are so into religion", are you only talking about the people who declare themselves to be atheists?

I think your characterization might work for the loud atheists who participate in places like this, but not for all the quiet atheists who probably make up the majority. The only thing is that those atheists don't spend a lot of time saying "I'm an atheist!", so they're easier to dismiss as probable theists.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Because there is no reason for me to attribute anything I have experienced to a higher power.

Oh, and I have thoughts. These thoughts can really **** up the whole faith thing.

Last edited:

muxi2K

Mainly because God is a human creation to
1. try to explain things we do(did) not understand
2. take advantage of the cult culture resulting thereof for personal gains

Simply put, there is no evidence of any god and most of the so-called "god's message" makes little sense at all.

David69

Angel Of The North
Thanks for the replys good people. now I have a better understanding why Atheists bother with religion.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Entropy of the universe always increases.
The universe started at lower Entropy and was hot.
After the great expansion the universe cools
With increasing entropy complexity also increases
Intelligence is a result of complexity.
The god(s) of myth are supposed to be intelligent and all powerful, omni this omni that.
God can only exist in the cold state of high entropy and complexity we have yet to reach.
So while the complexity of the universe may eventually be enough to create a god it will be just before it freezes solid.
It is therefore impossible according to the laws of natural physics for a god(s) to exist in the early simple, low entropic, hot, non-complex embryonic universe.

QED
(quod erat demonstrandum)

Cheers

Last edited:

Tathagata

Freethinker
I'm an Atheist because I don't like the idea of a higher authority. But that's not what turned me Atheist. I became Atheist because the devastating arguments against belief in God from Hitchens and Dawkins. I think what really struck me was the violent nature of the Biblical God I believed in, but soon realized that all concepts of the monotheistic God (even if granted it were a peaceful God) are philosophically unsound.