• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you an atheist?

MissAlice

If you are an atheist, what is the biggest reason?

BS20Dec2009AtheistCat1.jpg

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
So in a nut shell, everyone of you are of superior intelligence when compared to God (any god)?
Yeah, I'd tell people I'm real...

But on the subject, I'm an atheist for just that reason. I looked for a "personal relationship" with the Christian god, and couldn't find one. A friend of mine asked me why I believed in this god, and it got me to thinking. I couldn't find any good reasons besides that my parents told me he was real for my whole life and that the Bible said so. I got to studying the theistic religions of the world, and got the same thing from all of them: nothing that could prove to me these gods were real. I later discovered the NGE. The philosophy was unlike anything I had ever heard; all about the power of Self; and it made perfect sense to me. Why put so much energy into seeking a relationship with God when I can empower myself? I have been an atheist ever since.

Last edited:

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
So in a nut shell, everyone of you are of superior intelligence when compared to God (any god)?

The argument that God exists and his laws are right because he says so, is not a valid proof of God or his rules because it assumes the existence of God. Such an argument commits the fallacy of circular reasoning.

I don't think that I am smarter than God if he exists. If there is an all knowing God, and I am not all knowing, then it of course logically follows that God is smarter than me. However, I have doubts that God exists in the first place. You have not even validated the existence of the person who is supposed to be smarter than me. There are people who like to say that God exists, but I have seen good evidence of God himself make that argument, so that question holds no water. You might respond that God affirms his existence in the bible. I will answer that we have no good evidence that the bible was inspired by him in the first place.

Amill

Apikoros
Can't say for certain what the exact reasons are. My brain just tries to make sense of everything and at this moment in my life I think the evidence suggests that a god doesn't exist. I don't think anything about the Universe really makes sense, but a supernatural creator makes even less sense.

Ace Otana

Captain
I'm an atheist because there is no evidence to suggest that god exists and that religion never seems to make any sense, especially god's personality. None of it makes any sense. So I dismissed it as that.