• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you an atheist?

I would say the biggest reason and in fact the only reason, is that I don't believe in the existence of a god.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
As Monta said, I'm an atheist because I don't believe in God. I don't believe in God because of the lack of evidence for the existence of a god, and the fact that it's obvious that cultures over the history of humans have simply made up gods and religions for various reasons.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Fine, serious answers...:rolleyes:
I'm an atheist because there's nothing philosophically or scientifically evident to substantiate an intelligent Creator or Designer and many of the traditional attributes of God are inherently contradictory and therefore impossible. I'm an atheist because the universe shows no signs of any cognitive ghost in the machine.

...and the FB thing too.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The lack of evidence and logic to support any of the claims regarding the notion of a supreme being. There's nothing to observe or experience. Just the mere words of mortal men, that in the end amount to nothing more than empty speculation.

MSizer

MSizer
Pretty much the same answer here. Not to mention that most of the cases I've encountered for "proofs" of god not only are unsubstantiated by evidence, but most of the time they don't even make logical sense.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Mainly, because it is so obvious that God is a human creation as opposed to a literal or even hypothetical truth.
That's pretty much my position as well.

That, plus I think that invoking a god creates more logical problems than it solves... if it solves any at all.

I voted so I could see the results
Psst: there's a link at the bottom-right of every poll that lets you see the results without voting. ;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So in a nut shell, everyone of you are of superior intelligence when compared to God (any god)?

By definition that is not true, regardless of whether there is any truth to the existence of God, so no, that's not why we are atheists.

Some of us (myself included) can't however help but wonder why so many conceptions of God are in fact so deprived of virtue, to the point that they wouldn't be even particularly good people, much less deities.

Personally, I have a very hard time trying to picture myself as a Believer in the God of Abraham. There is a reason why it has been said that the Bible is an excellent tool for creating Atheists.