• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are we in this World?

Why are we hare in this World?

• Total voters

InvestigateTruth

In North America, there is a well known expression: We are here to enjoy!
We often hear this from various people. Many people think it is smart, the more they enjoy, the better winners they are.

Do you agree with this?

I personally somewhat disagree, and to some degree agree.
I explain it with an analogy: you go to school to study and learn, and that is your main purpose of going to school. Sometimes, when it does not interfere with your main goal, you also enjoy and do other fun things, such as playing games or sport, or eating snack. You are not in the school to enjoy, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying things in the right way, so, is it with overall life: we are not here to enjoy, but when it is right, it is fine to enjoy and have healthy fun, as long as it does not work against our main goals of life.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We are here mostly because we are accidents, least that's what my Mama told me.

I think of all the genetic lines that didn't make it. Humans kind of lucked out. Each individual to be here comes from a long line of lucky folks that managed somehow to survive just long enough to precreate.

As to purpose, I see that as up to each individual to decide their own purpose. Instead of waiting for someone to come along and give them a purpose, they might as well choose a purpose for themselves. Lots to choose from, lots of good things to choose from. I like helping folks, being a good parent and being a survivor. Just being able to deal with whatever gets thrown at me by life.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Just by looking around, I would have to say that we are here to serve the will of our wealthy overlords. Because that's what we are all doing, nearly all the waking hours of our day.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We often hear this from various people. Many people think it is smart, the more they enjoy, the better winners they are.

Do you agree with this?

I explain it with an analogy: you go to school to study and learn, and that is your main purpose of going to school. Sometimes, when it does not interfere with your main goal, you also enjoy and do other fun things, such as playing games or sport, or eating snack. You are not in the school to enjoy, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying things in the right way, so, is it with overall life: we are not here to enjoy, but when it is right, it is fine to enjoy and have healthy fun, as long as it does not work against our main goals of life.

I don't see an inherit purpose on earth. When we are born, we create our own schools and those who benefit from academic learning may chose to attend. Some people learn without academic education; street smarts. It depends on the person.

I actually never heard anyone mention the quote you have. Most people here are christians so their purpose is either on christ, another religious belief, and/or taking care of their family by work. If they have a free time, they may add it; but, over here, I think it's rare. If it is true, many people can't express their free time because of responsibilities of city life.

GoodbyeDave

I voted "enjoy" as the most reasonable option. The purpose of a human being is to be human, just as the purpose of a dog is to be a dog. Dogs seem to enjoy being dogs, so why shouldn't we enjoy being humans?

Develop our "spiritual qualities"? What spiritual qualities? This assumes some separate spiritual reality and I see no evidence for that.

Worship God? What would you think of a person who constantly needs to be told how wonderful they are? Exactly.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Do you agree with this?

In a nutshell, replicate, procreate, and die.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted for everything, because "we" - the collective that is humanity - would be all of those things. Different ideals for different folks.

Do you agree with this?....

Bible tells people were expelled to this first death when they wanted t know good and evil. I think one reason for this is that we would learn what good and evil mean and hopefully become righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
There is no intrinsic purpose. It just is. My religion teaches that we must all meet our doom one day, even the gods and the cosmos itself, but how you face it is the only thing that truly matters.

Remté

Bible tells people were expelled to this first death when they wanted t know good and evil. I think one reason for this is that we would learn what good and evil mean and hopefully become righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46
wait, didn't they learn good and evil? That's why they covered their private parts, right?

Remté

Stupid people enjoy. I have never met a decent human being who says we are here to enjoy.

I answered other because I don't know why. My next option would have been to learn and so develope our spiritual qualities, but honestly that seems insufficient. ..or our spiritual qualities are insufficient.

wait, didn't they learn good and evil? That's why they covered their private parts, right?

Covering private parts was not necessary about knowing good and evil. Also, after they had eaten, they probably didn’t know all.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Chaos produced our World, and it will end back in chaos.
But since we are here why not enjoy each moment that we have?
Enjoy it all as much as you can.

Remté

Covering private parts was not necessary about knowing good and evil. Also, after they had eaten, they probably didn’t know all.
Yes but according thd bible they eat and then when they cover their private parts God questions them. At least that what I've heard.

Faithofchristian

Do you agree with this?

Now if a person is well knowledgeable of the bible,
The bible explains, Why were here, to learn what we should haved learned back in the first earth age.
The difference between God's truth and the lies of Satan's.
That's why were here.