• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are some non-Christians so interested in Christianity?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Imo, I think that Vinayaka was just genuinely curious why people are constantly discussing Christianity and the Bible if they are not even Christians. I have wondered the same thing but I never thought of starting a thread to ask, and besides, I think I know some of the reasons since psychology is my field. ;)

We have a psychologist in the house. Fascinating.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Atheists, Muslims, Bahai, etc. What gives? Why are you so interested in this religion? What is the value in studying it, or picking it apart?

Sorry, I don't get it. Help me out.

Personally I have enough time figuring out and becoming skilled at my own religion, let alone another one that doesn't suit me.

Both for discussion and ammunition

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Atheists, Muslims, Bahai, etc. What gives? Why are you so interested in this religion? What is the value in studying it, or picking it apart?

Personally I have enough time figuring out and becoming skilled at my own religion, let alone another one that doesn't suit me.
Like you, i found its enought with the path i am on already :) i dont have anything against Christianity but i have no need to learn more about its teachings

Erebus

I'm not all that interested in the Christianity we see today, other than when it intersects with politics.

However, I'm fascinated by European folklore, particularly that of the British Isles. Reading about that subject will inevitably require at least some understanding of historical Christianity as many of our surviving stories were recorded by monks. Sometimes it's clear when a Christian perspective is applied to those stories, other times it's subtle and easily missed. It's also interesting to see the evolution of the various gods, fairies, ghosts and nature spirits as they were filtered through Christianity. There was a period in which ghost, fairy and demon were pretty much interchangeable.

For example, the Cŵn Annwn of Welsh folklore began as the hunting hounds of the Otherworld. They were certainly frightening death omens but they weren't evil and the Otherworld itself was a heavenly place full of beauty and joy. It did have its darker side though as those who entered might find that centuries had passed in the mortal world despite having only spent a few days in the Otherworld.

In short, the original folklore presents the fey beings as morally ambiguous; simultaneously beautiful and dangerous. When those stories were interpreted through the viewpoint of Christians though, the Otherworld became Hell and the Cŵn Annwn became Satan's hell-hounds.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I'd like to think its the message. God is very personal who understand and has felt the pain of humanity and is restoring the relationship that was lost with His creation.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

In my experience, while some are scholars and theologians, and some just want to better understand what makes Christians tick, others take satisfaction in belittling others for their worldviews and trying to prove them wrong in order to satiate their own ego.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I'm interested in Christianity pretty much for the same reasons I'm interested in the factors driving climate change.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
For when christians fire bull poop at me for being atheist i can respond with the bull poop scattered through the bible.

But why bother with bull poop? I would thing the entire exchange would just stink.