• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are some non-Christians so interested in Christianity?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am not terribly interested in Christianity, per se. I am interested in what a person believes, though. I know religion isn't discussed in polite company, but I'm seldom accused of being polite...

Its just a topic that comes up. I like to listen to people talk about their beliefs. I don't so much concern myself with "Joe Blow is teaching me about the Christian religion", its more like "Joe Blow is telling me more about what he believes". Sometimes an acquaintance has Christian beliefs, sometimes its another religions, sometimes its just an eclectic collection of thoughts. I'm happy to hear them all.

I just like to understand a person.

Oh I get that. All depends on how deep you want to go. I have friends at temple, who I've learned not to discuss Hinduism with. Their view is slightly different that mine, and it ends in some senseless argument. One learns to pick their battles.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm naturally curious about a lot of things but the bible isn't one of them. Did you know that flying squirrels have luminosity, and glow (not in the range the human eye can see) when they fly. Now that interests me. So does culture, and food, and cats too.

With religion-there's culture, theology, history, language, and a lot of things involved-so, it's so complex (all religions) that to be curious about it without needing to identify with it is worth it to those interested.

Unless someone is culturally appropriating, I'm not sure how it's wrong to study other religions without feeling the need to identify with one(s) you study and talk about. Do you believe there's a difference?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
And yet they often turn out to be. I find that interesting, in many ways. Not just in this topic either. Often folks say things they themselves truly believe weren't meant to be confrontational. "I didn't mean to insult your dress by saying it was ugly."
Sure, but in case you haven’t noticed we’re on a forum dedicated to discussing and debating religion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
With religion-there's culture, theology, history, language, and a lot of things involved-so, it's so complex (all religions) that to be curious about it without needing to identify with it is worth it to those interested.

Unless someone is culturally appropriating, I'm not sure how it's wrong to study other religions without feeling the need to identify with one(s) you study and talk about. Do you believe there's a difference?

I don't think it's wrong at all. I'm just curious as to the 'why'. But this thread has helped satisfy that curiosity as many people have offered great reasons, not for themselves so much but by observations.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It would be funny. Maybe you could write a set of rules for Revoltistan. The only bible quote I know, I think is Timothy 6 - 23 or something like that, because it talks about drinking a little wine for your stomach's sake and my alcoholic aunt used it to defend her imbibing, despite the fact that vodka was her choice of the magic.
Back on The History Channel forums, I was The Pope
for a while. I quoted entirely invented Bible verses.
Never seemed to be a problem.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sure, but in case you haven’t noticed we’re on a forum dedicated to discussing and debating religion.

For sure. And for sure one of the reasons for 'discussing' is to stir up trouble. I think it's generally with some vague hope of getting people to self-reflect more. I could have asked the exact same question for why some non-atheists seem to have a fascination with atheism. As I was reading threads a moment ago, two of them were 'questions for atheists' or something like that. But really those questions are more often somebody just looking for a 'debate'.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't think it's wrong at all. I'm just curious as to the 'why'. But this thread has helped satisfy that curiosity as many people have offered great reasons, not for themselves so much but by observations.

We do. I do get you, though. I have a bible collecting dust since it's a keep sake from my confirmation. I gave all my rosaries away and no longer have a crucifix. The bible is siting with my christian grandmothers. I never open the book and off RF I don't even think about christianity no near want to study it.

However, I do think studying for the sake of curiosity, academics, work, and so forth are quite different than picking a part a religion (if one likes) because maybe they're a seeker or like to rebut religions just because. If I knew now what I didn't know then, I would have never gone into christianity. But the sake of studying other religions in itself has many reasons that aren't deep in themselves.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, I know that, but people who live in the United States are in a predominantly Christian culture so they have to deal with that.

In some areas more than others. I bite my tongue more while travelling down your way for sure. Even more with regard to politics than religion. Alberta is, in many ways, the closest to the US that way, that any other Canadian province.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We do. I do get you, though. I have a bible collecting dust since it's a keep sake from my confirmation. I gave all my rosaries away and no longer have a crucifix. The bible is siting with my christian grandmothers. I never open the book and off RF I don't even think about christianity no near want to study it.

However, I do think studying for the sake of curiosity, academics, work, and so forth are quite different than picking a part a religion (if one likes) because maybe they're a seeker or like to rebut religions just because. If I knew now what I didn't know then, I would have never gone into christianity. But the sake of studying other religions in itself has many reasons that aren't deep in themselves.

If you look at such threads started here on RF, there are basically two kinds ... one is curiosity, and the other is either picking a fight, or for proselytising. The politeness, or apparent knowledge varies some, as some folks are much better at hiding their agenda than others.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Atheists, Muslims, Bahai, etc. What gives? Why are you so interested in this religion? What is the value in studying it, or picking it apart?
FYI, I do not think that most Baha'is study Christianity. All you see on this forum is a small subset of Baha'is and not even all of us study Christianity. I highly doubt that Baha'is who do not go on forums study Christianity or even have an interest in it. There are so many Baha'i Writings to read that I have not even read all of them!

That being said, I am often told by some posters I need to read the Bible cover to cover, but why should I? From my perspective the Christian dispensation has been abrogated.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
For sure. And for sure one of the reasons for 'discussing' is to stir up trouble. I think it's generally with some vague hope of getting people to self-reflect more. I could have asked the exact same question for why some non-atheists seem to have a fascination with atheism. As I was reading threads a moment ago, two of them were 'questions for atheists' or something like that. But really those questions are more often somebody just looking for a 'debate'.

There’s the old adage of never discussing religion, politics or sex. For me this forum is a relatively safe outlet to discuss religion. Am I looking for trouble? No. How about you when you decided to start this thread? This is quite a confrontation we’re having! Were you wanting to provoke confrontation or was it innocent?:D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There’s the old adage of never discussing religion, politics or sex. For me this forum is a relatively safe outlet to discuss religion. Am I looking for trouble? No. How about you when you decided to start this thread? This is quite a confrontation we’re having! Were you wanting to provoke confrontation or was it innocent?:D

I think on-line is safe, and people may well say things here they would never say in real life. Nobody here is a real time friend (there might be a few exceptions) . But even here people have gained 'enemies' by being controversial or by proselytising, else there would be no 'ignore' button.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In some areas more than others. I bite my tongue more while travelling down your way for sure. Even more with regard to politics than religion. Alberta is, in many ways, the closest to the US that way, that any other Canadian province.
Sometimes the subject of religion arises when one is chatting and getting to know someone and I have to be really careful what I say because whoever I am talking to has about a 75% chance of being a Christian, so I do not usually even mention that I am a Baha'i unless they ask. Some Baha'is want to pretend that we believe what Christians believe just because we believe in Jesus, but I am not going down that road because I consider it dishonest.

Politics can be just as sticky because one has almost a 50% chance that the person they are talking to is from the other party!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you look at such threads started here on RF, there are basically two kinds ... one is curiosity, and the other is either picking a fight, or for proselytising. The politeness, or apparent knowledge varies some, as some folks are much better at hiding their agenda than others.

A genuine question. What would your ideal RF environment be that you can personally benefit?

What do you walk away with when conversing on RF?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sometimes the subject of religion arises when one is chatting and getting to know someone and I have to be really careful what I say because whoever I am talking to has about a 75% chance of being a Christian, so I do not usually even mention that I am a Baha'i unless they ask. Some Baha'is want to pretend that we believe what Christians believe just because we believe in Jesus, but I am not going down that road because I consider it dishonest.

Politics can be just as sticky because one has almost a 50% chance that the person they are talking to is from the other party!
Yes I'd hate to bring up politics in the states. Here we have a few more options, but even then it's tricky. When I worked it rarely got brought up, except between friends who already knew we were on the same side.