• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are some non-Christians so interested in Christianity?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Operative word being 'friends'. If you want to gain some enemies, start discussing religion. I'd rather have friends. There is less reason to be paranoid.

That's an excellent point. Maybe the people who 'pick things apart' enjoy having enemies.
Well, there is something cathartic about “picking something apart” when you don’t think the thing is correct.
I know I’ve been guilty of looking for a fight in certain topics. That sense of “being right” can go to your head. Often in a bad way.
I remember passionately arguing in favour of SSM. Ostensibly out of humanitarian reasons. But looking back there was a certain thrill there. That it was a righteous cause and I had to pick apart my opponents argument. Whilst I stand by my opinions on the topic, in hindsight I probably let the spectacle of the fight bog me down a little. Even on here I think I might have been too smug about it during debates/discussions.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, there is something cathartic about “picking something apart” when you don’t think the thing is correct.
I know I’ve been guilty of looking for a fight in certain topics. That sense of “being right” can go to your head. Often in a bad way.
I remember passionately arguing in favour of SSM. Ostensibly out of humanitarian reasons. But looking back there was a certain thrill there. That it was a righteous cause and I had to pick apart my opponents argument. Whilst I stand by my opinions on the topic, in hindsight I probably let the spectacle of the fight bog me down a little. Even on here I think I might have been too smug about it during debates/discussions.
What's SSM?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Atheists, Muslims, Bahai, etc. What gives? Why are you so interested in this religion? What is the value in studying it, or picking it apart?

Sorry, I don't get it. Help me out.

Personally I have enough time figuring out and becoming skilled at my own religion, let alone another one that doesn't suit me.
Christians dominate here.
In Ameristan, Christians....
- Run government.
- Forced their prayers & religious oaths in public school.
- Tried to send me to Vietnam to kill godless commies.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To convince ourselves that we've done all the research necessary to reject it. You can't reject what you don't know.

I rejected it without knowing much. But the little I did know was enough to reject it. So I guess it depends on how far you have to dig before you can reject. With other faiths, is that also true?

I ask that because I've had people 'reject' my faith and go on to prove they know nothing about it. Kind of like rejecting a fictional or a fictional country.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Christians dominate here.
In Ameristan, Christians....
- Run government.
- Forced their prayers & religious oaths in public school.
- Tried to send me to Vietnam to kill godless commies.

But I rarely see you gong full blown quoting the bible in some scholarly way. I think you're like me, it didn't take much. Bit that's another story.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
And none of that has to do with proving to yourself that your new faith is better? For example, you're really delving into the bible and it's intricacies in your own thread. I'd suspect that even many Christians would get lost in that discussion.

I had wondered if your thread was prompted by my resurrection thread so thanks for clarifying that. The resurrection of Christ is an important point of difference from where I came from as a Christian to where I am now as a Baha'i. I have been interested in Christian theology for the last 35 years and the resurrection is one of many areas of interest. I'm currently reading a commentary on the Gospel according to Matthew by Leon Morris. Its a 780 page work written by a conservative Christian who is a renowned scholar. However, I try to communicate in everyday language and not to talk over people. I'm simply enjoying the exploration and conversation. There are excellent and insightful contributions to the thread from both Christians and those who don't identify with any religion. I've been a Baha'i for over thirty years and for the most part don't feel a need to prove anything to myself or others.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I had wondered if your thread was prompted by my resurrection thread so thanks for clarifying that. The resurrection of Christ is an important point of difference from where I came from as a Christian to where I am now as a Baha'i. I have been interested in Christian theology for the last 35 years and the resurrection is one of many areas of interest. I'm currently reading a commentary on the Gospel according to Matthew by Leon Morris. Its a 780 page work written by a conservative Christian who is a renowned scholar. However, I try to communicate in everyday language and not to talk over people. I'm simply enjoying the exploration and conversation. There are excellent and insightful contributions to the thread from both Christians and those who don't identify with any religion. I've been a Baha'i for over thirty years and for the most part don't feel a need to prove anything to myself or others.

Not just yours, there are others, but yes it was one. I've also noticed that several non-atheists want to have a dig at that as well, whereas I don't.

You enjoy the confrontation then?

Edited to add ... it seems to me you could do that exploration without a forum.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Rarely quote the Bible....me?
Oh, not nearly that often.

It would be funny. Maybe you could write a set of rules for Revoltistan. The only bible quote I know, I think is Timothy 6 - 23 or something like that, because it talks about drinking a little wine for your stomach's sake and my alcoholic aunt used it to defend her imbibing, despite the fact that vodka was her choice of the magic.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Atheists, Muslims, Bahai, etc. What gives? Why are you so interested in this religion? What is the value in studying it, or picking it apart?

Personally I have enough time figuring out and becoming skilled at my own religion, let alone another one that doesn't suit me.
"picking it apart" is an intellectual hobby

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't believe it's a religion thing, for me. I'm skeptical at heart so it doesn't matter the subject. It could be about cats or so have you. It's boring being stuck in a box just knowing one subject, doing the same thing daily, and not improving myself outside my comfort zone. So, from a non-RF perspective, I value knowledge and productivity things of that nature.

As for RF, I'm actually sincere with the questions I ask... curiosity and, like this question you're asking, I ask others why they think how they do in their religion, why they practice, what does their god mean, and so forth. How would anyone know anything about a path if they are told or they are pushed away from asking questions?

Also. I think the backlash has a lot to do with people's defenses when their religious views and experiences are challenged. Why would non-believers and atheists be the prey in these regards?

Not with me personally since I don't have the energy and memory to keep up with long conversations, but those that do I always wondered why religious can't get over that lump that they are not being attacked when the nonbeliever just want to know, for example, what their definition of god is in order to have a productive conversation about it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't believe it's a religion thing, for me. I'm skeptical at heart so it doesn't matter the subject. It could be about cats or so have you. It's boring being stuck in a box just knowing one subject, doing the same thing daily, and not improving myself outside my comfort zone. So, from a non-RF perspective, I value knowledge and productivity things of that nature.

As for RF, I'm actually sincere with the questions I ask... curiosity and, like this question you're asking, I ask others why they think how they do in their religion, why they practice, what does their god mean, and so forth. How would anyone know anything about a path if they are told or they are pushed away from asking questions?

Also. I think the backlash has a lot to do with people's defenses when their religious views and experiences are challenged. Why would non-believers and atheists be the prey in these regards?

Not with me personally since I don't have the energy and memory to keep up with long conversations, but those that do I always wondered why religious can't get over that lump that they are not being attacked when the nonbeliever just want to know, for example, what their definition of god is in order to have a productive conversation about it.

I'm naturally curious about a lot of things but the bible isn't one of them. Did you know that flying squirrels have luminosity, and glow (not in the range the human eye can see) when they fly. Now that interests me. So does culture, and food, and cats too.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Not just yours, there are others, but yes it was one. I've also noticed that several non-atheists want to have a dig at that as well, whereas I don't.

You enjoy the confrontation then?

Edited to add ... it seems to me you could do that exploration without a forum.

I am doing that exploration by reading of course and conversations with others who share the same interest. I had considered taking some theology papers this year in my city's university. However it is advised that each course would take about 13 hours of study per week. Its time I'm unlikely to find in the coming months.

My posts are not intended to be confrontational. However, I acknowledge a belief in a literally resurrected Christ who ascended to heaven is a core belief for many Christians. I doubt if any of the Christians who have contributed to date feel threatened by a non-Christian examining and questioning the premises of the resurrection and most wouldn't have posted anything if they were uncomfortable with the dialogue.

In my experience there is a significant cultural difference between Hindus and Christians in regards interfaith discussions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actually no it doesn't. In some places it's not seen much. When I was in Mauritius, I barely noticed Christmas, and there were a few churches here and there. But in places like Thailand, Burma, China, Saudi Arabia, is it really very visible at all? It has little or no impact on me personally.

But yes, in large portions of this planet, it does infect stuff.

Vinayaka, the US is very heavily christian-minded. We're protestant mostly. It's in our laws, our schools, kids are indoctrinated in it, some people can't get by one day without a god bless you.

I mean, I live in a senior and disability independent home owned by the church. We have a chapel upstairs and sundays (before COVID) they took residents to the catholic and baptist churches. People allowed to talk about god in the office even though its discriminative if I said something like "I talk to dead people."

People can say "you're going to hell" in the nicest way and no one questions them. If I said your god does not exist (I never had at all), then I could be black listed in people's minds as either "she needs saving" or "she's hooked by the devil."

I could go on... but RF is just what goes on in people's heads. In person, I'd say most atheist don't say much if anything. Can you imagine an atheist who was raised muslim try to question his belief but told he can't go out of his comfort zone?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
For me? My entire family is Christian, and I'm forced to interract with it every time I spend time with my family. The hospital I work at is a Christian establishment, and I'm faced with it every time I come to work. Many of my friends and co-workers are Christian, and their points of view are grounded in Christianity. Lastly, the first 30 years of my life were devoted to the religion, and it's shaped me (for better and for worse) into the person I am today.

It's made a huge impact on my life, has left a lot of damage, and continues to do both long after I've left it. So yes, I am interested in Christianity. Sometimes due to it's positive aspects, sometimes due to it's negative, and sometimes just to sate my own curiosity.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not terribly interested in Christianity, per se. I am interested in what a person believes, though. I know religion isn't discussed in polite company, but I'm seldom accused of being polite...

Its just a topic that comes up. I like to listen to people talk about their beliefs. I don't so much concern myself with "Joe Blow is teaching me about the Christian religion", its more like "Joe Blow is telling me more about what he believes". Sometimes an acquaintance has Christian beliefs, sometimes its another religions, sometimes its just an eclectic collection of thoughts. I'm happy to hear them all.

I just like to understand a person.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My posts are not intended to be confrontational.

And yet they often turn out to be. I find that interesting, in many ways. Not just in this topic either. Often folks say things they themselves truly believe weren't meant to be confrontational. "I didn't mean to insult your dress by saying it was ugly."