• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are So Many Cops Dumb?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
How does stupidity play a role in corruption? Are you suggesting smart people can't be corrupt?

Did you actually read what he wrote?
He said that stupid people don't weigh the risk the same way smart people. It then follow that smart people can also be corrupt if the rewards are bigger.

Kfox

No one expects a police officer to know all the laws, not even the best lawyers know all the laws.

But they should know the basic law as it pertains to police/civilian interaction. They should know when they can or cannot detain someone, they should know when they can or cannot demand id from someone, they should know when they can or cannot arrest someone.

This is information that anyone can learn in 10-15 minutes. They should have learned this in their decades of experience.
Do you believe this is as major problem with a significant percentage of Police Officers?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Do you believe this is as major problem with a significant percentage of Police Officers?
Yes. And not only in the United States. Other countries have a similar problem.

Here, check this one out.

See how the officer marches right up as starts giving orders? See how the supervisor (who ought to know better if anyone does) backs her up? See how they demand he leave, see how the demand his id? But he knows better. He knows better that all eight cops there.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No he didn't say that. He didn't even mention smart people.

Yes, he did as a context for all humans. And thus in effect there are only stupid people, because there are also smart people.

Any claim of what is, is always in the end in the context of the rest.

Kfox

Yes, he did as a context for all humans. And thus in effect there are only stupid people, because there are also smart people.

Any claim of what is, is always in the end in the context of the rest.
That's YOUR leap of logic. My logic is to assume he meant what he said; nothing more, nothing less.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That's YOUR leap of logic. My logic is to assume he meant what he said; nothing more, nothing less.
Yeah, reality is nothing but only stupid people. That is all reality is. So everything is stupid people including you and I. ;)
Corruption is another problem.
Stupidity plays a role in that too, given
that often the rewards are far smaller
than the consequences of punishment..

There is a context there of that rewards can be higher than the chance and consequences of punishment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've lost track of what posters are claiming that I've posted.
Tis best to respond to quoted posts.

Kfox

Yeah, reality is nothing but only stupid people. That is all reality is. So everything is stupid people including you and I. ;)
So.... according to you, the answer to this thread "why are cops so stupid" the reason is everyone is stupid, and cops are just like everyone else; is that your point?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Is that the only difference between the two that you can think of?

Well, there are other ones, but in general people with enough intelligence can learn that even that has a limit.
Where as some stupid people can't learn that their thinking has a limit.

But even more generally is a bit more fuzzy for stupid versus intelligent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here we have a detective, who despite his higher
rank & experience, doesn't even understand many
of the basics of his job.
There's an interesting comment under the video....
"I’m a former FCPD officer and there are a ton of ignorant cops on that department. Academy training seriously lacks Constitutional Amendment training. It takes six months to become a cop and two years to become a hair stylist. Friggin joke."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Cos arrests a man for trespassing in a Walmart.
Both Walmart & the cop never bother to check
the man's ID. Turns out he's not the person
they thought he was. They don't even look alike.
BTW, as a result, the man's significant other is
now trespassed, & cannot ever return to that
Walmart (per FL law, trespass orders are lifetime).
$10,000,000 suit filed.
Is there any limit to how dumb cops can be?

averageJOE

zombie
There are thousands upon thousands of laws in this country. Then broken down even further, adding each State law, city law, and county law, it is impossible for any one to know all of them. That's where Qualified Immunity come into play. Cops DO NOT get qualified immunity if they absolutely KNOW they are violating someone's clearly established rights. They are granted qualified immunity if they DIDN'T KNOW they were violating someone's clearly established rights, as long as they claim they were doing it in good faith and to the best of their knowledge of the law AT THE TIME. Because...how could they know? There are too many laws to know.

That is why cops become dumb on purpose. They know that it is 100% in their best interest to remain ignorant of any law. As long as they remain ignorant of laws, or at least pretend to, they can pretty much do whatever they want. That's why they have become nothing more than POLICY enforcers. They conduct themselves while on the job according to their department's policy, not law. All cops know this, and all cops conduct themselves this way.

And to go a bit further, a cop would STILL be granted qualified immunity for the same violation twice. How? Because both violations have to be 100% exactly the same. For example: a cop is being sued for falsely arresting someone for not showing an ID inside a Wal-Mart. He goes to court says that he didn't know it was against the law to arrest someone for not showing an ID inside a Wal-Mart, qualified immunity granted. You would think now he KNOWS it not against the law right? Wrong. A year later, same cop falsely arrests someone inside a hospital for not showing an ID. Now he claims, I didn't know it was against the law to arrest someone for not showing an ID inside a hospital. Qualified Immunity Granted!

This is why cops are dumb on purpose.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin