• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Angellous is not a Christian

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

Thats because the more you learn you realise just how much you don't know. Most people are so full of themselves, they can't see their own ignorance.

Your clear view of things suggests you are becoming a wise person Nate.

I don't have the energy to be arrogant.

cynic2005

Every once in a while, a member of RF challenges the Christianity of Angellous.

Such a person has obviously ignored scores of threads and posts (I have more than 27K of them here) which indicate not only my interest in Christian theology, the description of "Christian" in my profile, as well as my Christian education - a BA and MA in religion and a Ph.D. (pending dissertation) in New Testament from a prominent Christian seminary.

So I’d like to create this thread to describe for such members why I’m not a Christian.

I think that a good deal of evangelical Christianity is an intellectually dishonest farce, and most of this scam is becoming more popularly known to the more casual observer of Christianity. The inspiration of the Bible as the evangelicals know it – based on the lack of contradiction, the fantasy of perfect originals, the history of Christian doctrine, and historical accuracy of Scripture are all but completely exposed to the extent that they can be disproven.

Evangelicals are forced to be in an uncomfortable tension between insisting on a literal, plain interpretation of Scripture for moral grounds and then either lying about history and science or misrepresenting their interpretation of Scripture when it addresses historical (both the history in the Bible and about the Bible) or scientific issues.

So if you’d like more on these issues, pick one.

These historical facts undermine the arguments for literal interpretations of the bible and therefore its importance for our lives in the evangelical sense. Combine this with the awareness of most folks of moral failures of everyone from the average church member and pastor to outright conspiracies regarding extortion and the sexual exploitation of children, and we see the lack of moral or ethical credibility of the evangelicals.

I'm not a Christian because I believe in the death and resurrection of Christ and the new hope that this brings to the world - and especially, my own life. I believe that the power of love and compassion truly blesses the poor in spirit, those who mourn, and those who hunger and thirst for God's righteousness. I'm not a Christian because I believe that God will right all things through his dead and resurrection.

You've just become my favorite Christian.

fenrisx

Every once in a while, a member of RF challenges the Christianity of Angellous.

Such a person has obviously ignored scores of threads and posts (I have more than 27K of them here) which indicate not only my interest in Christian theology, the description of "Christian" in my profile, as well as my Christian education - a BA and MA in religion and a Ph.D. (pending dissertation) in New Testament from a prominent Christian seminary.

So I’d like to create this thread to describe for such members why I’m not a Christian.

I think that a good deal of evangelical Christianity is an intellectually dishonest farce, and most of this scam is becoming more popularly known to the more casual observer of Christianity. The inspiration of the Bible as the evangelicals know it – based on the lack of contradiction, the fantasy of perfect originals, the history of Christian doctrine, and historical accuracy of Scripture are all but completely exposed to the extent that they can be disproven.

Evangelicals are forced to be in an uncomfortable tension between insisting on a literal, plain interpretation of Scripture for moral grounds and then either lying about history and science or misrepresenting their interpretation of Scripture when it addresses historical (both the history in the Bible and about the Bible) or scientific issues.

So if you’d like more on these issues, pick one.

These historical facts undermine the arguments for literal interpretations of the bible and therefore its importance for our lives in the evangelical sense. Combine this with the awareness of most folks of moral failures of everyone from the average church member and pastor to outright conspiracies regarding extortion and the sexual exploitation of children, and we see the lack of moral or ethical credibility of the evangelicals.

I'm not a Christian because I believe in the death and resurrection of Christ and the new hope that this brings to the world - and especially, my own life. I believe that the power of love and compassion truly blesses the poor in spirit, those who mourn, and those who hunger and thirst for God's righteousness. I'm not a Christian because I believe that God will right all things through his dead and resurrection.

well summed up, sir

fenrisx

I'm sorry, luna, but I think that it's hopeless. Schism stinks, but it may be the only way that both sides can continue on in their seperate faiths.

It would be better if both sides practiced humility and submission, but everyone has chosen to throw that out the window.

I agree with the liberal side that it's time for action, but I've also seen the liberals do quite harmful things to their brothers and sisters. The liberals can't stand to wait until after their lifetimes for the church to accept homosexuality, and the conservatives don't want to see their traditions change in theirs.

The first step toward healing would be treating eachother better - we can at least do that, but we have to keep moving forward. We have to decide what we are going to value, and if we must, split to preserve those values. Sometimes seperation is the most effective way to love. :shrug:

Maybe if both sides practiced separation of church and politics in addition, and focused on the faith.

A

angellous_evangellous

Maybe if both sides practiced separation of church and politics in addition, and focused on the faith.

No kidding.

I'm afraid that as long as money and property is involved, there will be politics in managing it. That is, people want to give money to things that they believe in... they are aiming at the faith but fail before they begin.

Renji

I tell you, by saying those lines, you are even more 'Christian' than I am.:)

atanu

Premium Member
Though 'Ph.D. (pending dissertation) in New Testament from a prominent Christian seminary', is stated, I am still curious about the dissertation angellous is working on.

Last edited:

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I've given my heart and soul to Christianity.

My ordination robes - or clerical collar as it were - are a symbol of how much I've given, all those sleepless nights and blood, sweat and tears that I've shed for the church go without any respect. Honestly I get much more respect from non-Christians than from Christians, and that's pathetic.

So yeah, I'll give some sharp words to people who not only abuse and disrespect my sacrifice, but use the Bible to harm others.

So far, what I've read from you really has an impact on me. You are the type of Christian (again from the little I've read; I don't know you yet) who keeps me hanging onto this form of spiritual connection. Now to keep reading...

A

angellous_evangellous

So far, what I've read from you really has an impact on me. You are the type of Christian (again from the little I've read; I don't know you yet) who keeps me hanging onto this form of spiritual connection. Now to keep reading...

Thanks

:takeabow:

A

angellous_evangellous

Though 'Ph.D. (pending dissertation) in New Testament from a prominent Christian seminary', is stated, I am still curious about the dissertation angellous is working on.

My apologies on the late reply....

My dissertation is about how philosophically educated women in 1st century Corinth would have read that letter.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's clear angellous is actually an atheist. He just has too much time and money invested in his education to change course now.

A

angellous_evangellous

It's clear angellous is actually an atheist. He just has too much time and money invested in his education to change course now.

:biglaugh:

I actually thought about converting to Islam today just for the heck of it.

If I were an atheist, I would not reveal it until I made tenure. :angel2: