• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Should Lead?

tytlyf

Not Religious

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm curious of how americans (I'm one myself) would feel if an openly attired woman muslim became president or an openly effiminate gay man or a street thug (focused on stereotype not intelligence) became president.

Kind of a sensitive question but we've had predominate white presidents for centuries. Probably mostly christian and more likely straight (sexual orientation).

Do you think americans would be uncomfortable?

I know my parent said if a muslim became president, ISIS has taken over.
Americans don't seem to want a competent organizer or technician as president. They want a charismatic figurehead that mirrors their opinions and attitudes. Someone not like them, an Other, would make them feel very uncomfortable.

Maybe Americans need some sort of royal figurehead, attended with pomp and circumstance; and surrounded with patriotic symbols.
This would free the CEO of the executive department to attend to the technical management of the government.

epronovost

as I am certain that America is an economically based society....

It seems to me.....a businessman should be president

not some old politician who doesn't know how to carry a speech

yeah.....I have an opinion

A government isn't a business neither is a society. The experience and skills of a businessman are unaplicable when it comes to legislation. Lawyers and judges are better choices. As are philosophers or political historians

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the president, along with the seats for Senate and Congress, should all be chosen like they choose for jury duty; randomly and required. That's the only way to get a fair idea of who's in America, and a chance for people to feel actually represented.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A government isn't a business neither is a society. The experience and skills of a businessman are unaplicable when it comes to legislation. Lawyers and judges are better choices. As are philosophers or political historians
We have too many lawyers in public office. They benefit
from a bloated byzantine system that wastes both client
& opponent resources.. They've strong incentive to continue
a system that rewards frivolous suits.

Romney struck me as having a good background...both
business management & government management (as a
governor) experience. Compare him with Trump, who had
business experience but had no idea how government
worked. When he assumed office, he was clueless how
to transition. He had some other failures too.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I think the president, along with the seats for Senate and Congress, should all be chosen like they choose for jury duty; randomly and required. That's the only way to get a fair idea of who's in America, and a chance for people to feel actually represented.
That's how the ancient Greeks handled it. It also kept everyone on their toes. Nobody wanted to be called into an office and fail so everyone was educated and up to date with public affairs.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's how the ancient Greeks handled it. It also kept everyone on their toes. Nobody wanted to be called into an office and fail so everyone was educated and up to date with public affairs.
Except the women and slaves, of course.;)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
business and law are brothers
laws are passed to support business

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Worst possible choice -- after Priest, Rabbi, Mullah, etc. I'd rather have a decent electrician with a wife, 3 kids, a dog and a parakeet.

epronovost

business and law are brothers
laws are passed to support business

Some yes, but not all and not by necessity. Laws are for the population and often to restrict, control, oversee and regulate businesses. Plutocracies and kleptocracies are quick to fall and ring much misery.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Except the women and slaves, of course.;)
And poor people. You had to be a property owning male to be counted as a citizen in old Athens. And you had to be fit for military service in Sparta.
But then again, holding public office would have been an undue burden for the not-so-well-to-do since you didn't get paid and were expected to stem all the expenses that came with the office. You could call it a wealth tax combined with a public service sentence.

esmith

Veteran Member
The presidency is a leadership position. Business people are not good leaders by default. One of the worst businesspeople in the world was elected in 2016 and he did not have leadership qualities. (you can see where that got us)

Obama wouldn't be considered a businessperson to me, he was a constitutional scholar and community organizer.

Constitutional scholar = Understands the constitution thoroughly
Community organizer = Leadership qualities obtained
You know the country really needs some comedic relif now and you seem to be able to deliver.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You know the country really needs some comedic relif now and you seem to be able to deliver.
I wonder....
We always hear that Obama is a "constitutional scholar".
Yet I've been unable to find any scholarly articles he's
authored. Yes, he was an instructor in some law classes
(not a full professor), but that's a rather low level job.
How is he a constitutional scholar?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Anybody that is not a lawyer. You know what lawyers can do to this country.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I wonder....
We always hear that Obama is a "constitutional scholar".
Yet I've been unable to find any scholarly articles he's
authored. Yes, he was an instructor in some law classes
(not a full professor), but that's a rather low level job.
How is he a constitutional scholar?
Easy. Its a clear lie.