• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Created Your Religion?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Before you respond, this isn't asking who passed down commandments or issued laws or duties to live by, but who actually created the rituals, practices, dogma, tenets, etc. of the religion you follow for the purpose of worship or reverence to your flavor of the divine?

Who or what was it that institutionalized these items into what became your religion? Was your religion created by your god or was it humans that created your religion?

capumetu

Before you respond, this isn't asking who passed down commandments or issued laws or duties to live by, but who actually created the rituals, practices, dogma, tenets, etc. of the religion you follow for the purpose of worship or reverence to your flavor of the divine?

Who or what was it that institutionalized these items into what became your religion? Was your religion created by your god or was it humans that created your religion?

If religion is understood to mean belief in and worship of a God. My answer will be based on that understanding. We believe that anything to do with a god is of course a religion. So I will have to say my religion started with my God Jehovah. However, it was not until just before 1500 BCE that Jehovah's people became an organized covenanted people sir. Some might consider that the starting point of the faith, as it was at that point we became His nation.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If religion is understood to mean belief in and worship of a God. My answer will be based on that understanding. We believe that anything to do with a god is of course a religion. So I will have to say my religion started with my God Jehovah. However, it was not until just before 1500 BCE that Jehovah's people became an organized covenanted people sir. Some might consider that the starting point of the faith, as it was at that point we became His nation.

If Jehovah created a religion without the involvement of the faith of the people, what was the purpose of that religion?

In what ways, for you, is the starting point of the faith different than the starting point of your religion?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Yup, same. Which is pretty standard fare for those who are in the general spectrum of religious demographics I align with. The religious demographics under which my path falls are barely (if at all) institutionalized, and where they are, they are not dogmatized. It is expected that practitioners create a living tradition that makes sense within the context of their way of life. This is, of course, inevitably influenced by the ecosystem one finds oneself in, but there's no central controlling authority beyond oneself.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

A human, followed by more humans. The first was Siddhattha Gotama. After that, it gets complicated...Bodhidharma, Eihei Dogen....2000 years is a big lineage to map out...all the way through to...me :)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
same here........but I can't call it a religion

there's no dogma
no ritual or ceremony
no rug for your knee
no beads for your hand
no cap for your head

I'm kinda out here on my own

still.....some point a finger and use the word......religious

I know of no religion that would claim me as a participant

I have a strong catholic background
but even so......

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Who created the Baha'i Faith? Baha'u'llah and those who followed Him. Did God Reveal Himself through Baha'u'llah and any of His followers? That is a matter that anyone investigating the Baha'i Faith may wish to consider. Like many other religions it comes down to faith.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Yahweh.