• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who created universe ?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Quite apart from the silliness of trying to retrospectively calculate probabilities (every result of shuffling a deck of cards produces a sequence with a probability of 1 in 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,403,766,975,289,505,440,883,277,824,000,000,000,000) from a position of near complete ignorance of any context, regardless of how improbable you think this universe must be, a creator, that then decides to create this universe, adds more constraints, so must be even more improbable.

I believe omnipotence can't be viewed as a constraint. As for the probability of one existing, that is 50/50.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I believe omnipotence can't be viewed as a constraint. As for the probability of one existing, that is 50/50.

You don't seem to understand. If you calculate the probability of something and then add something additional that also needs to happen then (unless its probability is 1) you necessarily reduce the probability.

Hence the probability of a universe like ours existing must be greater than that of a universe like ours existing and it being planned and created by some god.

I've no idea how you'd genuinely calculate the probability of either because we have no idea of the context and merely being improbably doesn't by any means rule something out, as my example with the cards shows, things with very low probability happen all the time.

However, the idea that the probability of omnipotence existing being 50/50 is absurd because it's nothing more than a guess so you'd have to calculate how many guesses we could make about, well, everything really, and see how many involved omnipotence. Otherwise we'd have to conclude that there's a 50/50 chance that (say) there's an invisible dragon in my garage because there are only two options.

ecco

Veteran Member
Which omnipotence? There are so many that the odds of yours being the actual one is quite small.

Milton Platt

No. I am stating that if your God was omniscient, He knew A&E would disobey Him long before He created them. This is true even if man has free will.

Why would you write "your god" when you can plainly see I am an atheist?

My god? I don't have a god.
I must have posted to the wrong person.............

alsome

Amazing thread this. What really was the ultimate inertia behind the emergence of the Cosmos ?
What container did 'it' have, the absence of nothing being 'it'.

MNoBody

just to add this idea to the mix..
it may be that this entire cosmos we appear to be entangled in is just as the gnostics indicated, in their language of the day, paraphrased, an Archonic trap, run by a whole different order of life ....
as cheesy as tv series are, star trek did an interesting take on this in a particular episode, [brought in only to paint the picture in more detail, not because I think star trek proves anything]