• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White House Against Iran Sanctions Bill

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
All nuclear technology should be banned, plain and simple. If not, why should the US be lord over who does and doesn't have it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm inclined to side with Obama on this one.
It's a complex issue, one which is above my pay grade.
But this seems the most peaceful path to curbing hostilities & risk.

I wonder....will any lefties remember any of the times I defend Obama or his policies?
Such posts seem invisible...or incapable of generating long term memories.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I stand with Obama on this as well. Screw the DINO in the senate who introduced the bill!

dust1n

Zindīq

I wonder....will any lefties remember any of the times I defend Obama or his policies?

Eh, I generally consider ya one of the good guys, since my top priority is ending war and economic practices that are there to intentionally hurt innocent people.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Eh, I generally consider ya one of the good guys, since my top priority is ending war and economic practices that are there to intentionally hurt innocent people.
You don't count....yer more generous & open minded than many.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Correct. We should do all we can to foster peaceful negotiations with Iran. It doesn't tie our hands if they decide not to negotiate. We can easily ramp up the sanctions that we've recently eased and we can even put in new sanctions. At this point in time I don't think new sanctions in the midst of peace talks is beneficial.

Look at you looking for attention.....:flirt:

I've bookmarked your wolf in sheep’s clothing appraisal....:D

I'm kidding Rev.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Correct. We should do all we can to foster peaceful negotiations with Iran. It doesn't tie our hands if they decide not to negotiate. We can easily ramp up the sanctions that we've recently eased and we can even put in new sanctions. At this point in time I don't think new sanctions in the midst of peace talks is beneficial.
Look at you looking for attention.....:flirt:
I've bookmarked your wolf in sheep’s clothing appraisal....:D
I'm kidding Rev.
I'm more of a sheep in wolf's clothing.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Given the delicate situation in terms of Iran's potentially (I am not 100% sold) shifting domestic situation, I would suggest sanctions would be a very poor move - it would almost certainly undermine Iran's moderates and embolden their more militant.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Given the delicate situation in terms of Iran's potentially (I am not 100% sold) shifting domestic situation, I would suggest sanctions would be a very poor move - it would almost certainly undermine Iran's moderates and embolden their more militant.

Exactly. Iran officials have already said that if more sanctions were added at this point in their talks then that would certainly end the discussion. Why this senator and others would want to disrupt the process is beyond me....then again...it is an election year..!!

:confused:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Exactly. Iran officials have already said that if more sanctions were added at this point in their talks then that would certainly end the discussion. Why this senator and others would want to disrupt the process is beyond me....then again...it is an election year..!!

I think you've hit the nail square on the head. At this point, to impose additional sanctions is totally absurd because we should try and give peace a chance but without putting any trust in the Iranian government to actually deliver. If they don't deliver, then I can see some action being taken by the Israelis with some support from the U.S.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I think you've hit the nail square on the head. At this point, to impose additional sanctions is totally absurd because we should try and give peace a chance but without putting any trust in the Iranian government to actually deliver. If they don't deliver, then I can see some action being taken by the Israelis with some support from the U.S.

Yeah, we just see what happens. Our current level of sanctions are still in place but some have been eased for negotiating purposes. Iran knows that if they walk away from the peace talks then these sanctions can be ramped up and increased. I explicitly hear the President say that on more than one occasion.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Some times there is no answer. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. The thing is, no matter what we do, this is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
It seems that Iran is taking a different view of the agreement.

Iran calls nuclear pact a Western 'surrender'

from the above story

Actually NO....as usual....

from the link you provided....
The push for the bill comes as Iran agreed Sunday that an interim deal it agreed to will go into effect Jan. 20. The so-called Joint Plan of Action requires Iran to limit some of its nuclear activities for six months in return for about $7 billion in sanctions relief while more negotiations continue.

Who ever said both sides would like everything about a compromise. Even still....the bill out of the senate to add more sanctions at this junction is stupid....dems and pubs need to sit this one out but jump in only when the peace talks stop....

Jeremy Mason

I agree.

I noted it before and will note it again. :clap

Alceste

Vagabond

The military industry has not forgotten they want a ground war with Iran just because Obama beat out their own bought candidates (in both parties). Their candidates will keep doing everything they can to derail the peace process and escalate the tension until the industry gets their war, or until the US loses enough of its geopolitical influence that it can no longer bully and manipulate other countries into supporting it's pointless and costly military campaigns.