• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which is Superior

Which is a better trait to have

• The ability to not offend

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • The ability to not be offended

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The ability to not offend.

or

The ability to not be offended.

Not that I go about with an intention to offend anybody but one can't really control what other folks get offended about.

Say you could possess an inherent ability to be the ultimate PC person. You would never utter a word or act in any manner that anyone could possible find offensive.

or

Nothing anyone could say or do could offend you. Insults and cultural offenses just rolled off your back. References to your race or gender or religious belief had no affect on you whatsoever.

Which do you think would provide you with a better quality of life?

And, no you don't have to go around being an ******* to not be offended or be a doormat to be PC. Just which do you see as more important to your well being?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The lack of either is detrimental. The former without the latter is a doorstop, the latter without the former is a sociopath.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The lack of either is detrimental. The former without the latter is a doorstop, the latter without the former is a sociopath.
We do actually idolise sociopathy a lot here without realising it. Businesses and so-on, and we teach people, albeit tacitly, that feelings are weakness (they are) and so forth.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Never being able to insult anyone would quickly result in a very quiet world.
I don't think an ability not to offend means that one would never offend someone else. To me it would mean that if a person cared to he could explain a concept without offending someone. It would seem that on a bad day one still could offend others if one wanted to.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Like I said, it wasn't really an either or question. It's more if you had a chance to improved one or the other, which do think would be more beneficial for you to improve?

A diplomat might want to improve the former. Someone who finds themselves easily offended the later.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The ability to not offend.

or

The ability to not be offended.

Not that I go about with an intention to offend anybody but one can't really control what other folks get offended about.

Say you could possess an inherent ability to be the ultimate PC person. You would never utter a word or act in any manner that anyone could possible find offensive.

or

Nothing anyone could say or do could offend you. Insults and cultural offenses just rolled off your back. References to your race or gender or religious belief had no affect on you whatsoever.

Which do you think would provide you with a better quality of life?

And, no you don't have to go around being an ******* to not be offended or be a doormat to be PC. Just which do you see as more important to your well being?
This is a perfect question because it is related to y very strict belief that The Bible says, "love is not provoked", which they have changed to love is not provoked. And, isn't it funny that I am alone voting that way?

And, I wrote love is not offended at first up above (love is not provoked), but I changed it because that is what is written. And isn't it funny that most everyone in the whole wide world (except me, of course) believes that not being offended (provoked) is better than not offending (provoking)?

I will die believing the God says, "love does not provoke (ie offend)".

Can you hear me now?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What others say about me is a projection of their own reality. The only way I can be offended is if I allow their reality to become mine.

Conversely, I do not offend anyone intentionally. I do my best to be impeccable with my word and use my word with the intention of truth and love. If someone is offended by something I say, it is likely they either intentionally or unintentionally misconstrued what I said. I'm responsible for what I say, not for what you understand. If you make assumptions about that I say without seeking clarification, that's on you.

While I think both are good qualities, I have more control over the latter than the former.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If you "have the ability to not offend" you are a real Master, I mean you offend nobody; you must be "pure Love"
And as a result of being such a "perfect one", obviously you will not be offended yourself.

So it is very clear to better have the first one, because automatically it implies you have the second one

The other one "you never feel offended" ... being a `good` narcissist or sociopath will do

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you "have the ability to not offend" you are a real Master, I mean you offend nobody; you must be "pure Love"
And as a result of being such a "perfect one", obviously you will not be offended yourself.

So it is very clear to better have the first one, because automatically it implies you have the second one

The other one "you never feel offended" ... being a `good` narcissists or sociopath will do
OH! What to rate that one? There is no "best". My first thought was "winner". But then I thought, it has to be "funny". I love it!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The other one "you never feel offended" ... being a `good` narcissists or sociopath will do
I was right! you are a great one. :) I will never strive for such excellence because I like wine.