• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where to meditate?

Shantanu

You see meditation as a attachment?
Once a person is enlightened there is no need for meditation.
Do you still get mad at government when you get a letter or think of what you felt was done toward you?
No I do not get mad because I have nothing to fear: I have no fear, no love, no compassion, no emotions, no ego, nothing left but the Self.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Once a person is enlightened there is no need for meditation.
No I do not get mad because I have nothing to fear: I have no fear, no love, no compassion, no emotions, no ego, nothing left but the Self.
Ego is self :) when you become selfless but full of compassion toward all living beings then you get closer to enlightenment :) Love and kindness is a part buddhism

Jumi

I think there can be a lot of elitist hype attached to the word meditation, i consider it thinking and working things out. When i have said this before to people who dont think but meditate, i am always told i dont know how to meditate or i am trivialising it.
There are different types of meditation for different purposes. I probably used to think the way you're describing when I had just gotten the keys to my supposed meditation sportscar ;) I'm mellowed quite a lot with experience later... When you start to see that people meditate naturally and effortlessly, it's how a lot of folks charge their batteries, going fishing or taking walks. Of course there's meditation types that take you somewhere completely different and into the deeper waters... but those are not just for everyone. I get most out of the relaxing type of meditation nowadays. I think I got most of what I was looking for in the deeper part of the ocean..

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Meditation can be done anywhere one feel is good, but sometimes one find a place that make the meditation more easy, and to me that is deep within the forest or a mountain.

Do you have some area you meditate more often or does it not matter?
Best place to meditate is in a field of screaming monkeys.

I do generally however prefer a quiet room and incense.

ManSinha

Not wanting to turn this into a medical discussion :)
But most anything in moderation is considered safe

Some individuals (myself included) rely on their devices ( watch) to nudge me when I am sitting too long at a stretch (blasted thing even nudges me in the gurdwara)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Not wanting to turn this into a medical discussion :)
But most anything in moderation is considered safe

Some individuals (myself included) rely on their devices ( watch) to nudge me when I am sitting too long at a stretch (blasted thing even nudges me in the gurdwara)

Well you said that “sitting is the new smoking.” So by your logic, one would conclude that since sitting in moderation is safe, then smoking in moderation is safe. Would you agree with that statement?

ManSinha

Well you said that “sitting is the new smoking.” So by your logic, one would conclude that since sitting in moderation is safe, then smoking in moderation is safe. Would you agree with that statement?

I did use the word "most" - if you want to nitpick - by all means - there is a reason most physicians ask how long and how much someone has smoked
Some illnesses such as COPD are directly linked to this - others such as lung cancer have a stronger overlay of genetics and environment

What I can say that in my years of taking care of ill people I have never seen someone get chronic lung problems from smoking one cigarette a week for 2 years in their life - this is unscientific and anecdotal - but it kinda makes the point i am trying to

By the same token - you could say having just one affair outside of one's marriage should be safe - but in reality it is likely - if discovered - to end up in divorce or harmed by the cuckolded spouse - I never said "Moderation taking leave of common sense" :D now did I?

Unguru

I am a Sikh nice to meet you
Go out to a forest or by the water (if you're near a harbor or sea etc) and spend a few ours meditating, it's amazing. Just make sure that it's not windy and that it's not freezing cold. Otherwise, those are my ideal kinds of places

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I should have been more specific and said the office chair in my home.

I don't think meditating at my desk at our corporate office would go over too well.
It depends on the company. Sadly, Buddhist principles, with things like mindfulness meditation are actually being taught and promoted in larger corporations, such as the one I work for. They even hand out "Be Here Now" signs to put at your desk. Now while this may sound good, because after all it reduces stress and potential sick-days, it is driven by greed at its heart of greater employee productivity. It's not driven by a moral compass, but a capitalist compass. And that has inherent, contradictory problems.

Here's an interesting interview on just this topic: https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea.../mindfulness-meditation-buddhism-david-forbes

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on the company. Sadly, Buddhist principles, with things like mindfulness meditation are actually being taught and promoted in larger corporations, such as the one I work for. They even hand out "Be Here Now" signs to put at your desk. Now while this may sound good, because after all it reduces stress and potential sick-days, it is driven by greed at its heart of greater employee productivity. It's not driven by a moral compass, but a capitalist compass. And that has inherent, contradictory problems.

Here's an interesting interview on just this topic: https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea.../mindfulness-meditation-buddhism-david-forbes

While it's not officially sanctioned by my company I make it a point to mentor my managers in processes that reduce stress and aid them in mindfulness.

I, personally, have the luxury of leaving a restaurant and meditating in my car between restaurant visits (until the cell phone rings, that is :D ).

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I did not meditate in this manner. When I meditated it was by utter concentration of the mind to focus on nothing but the divine being so as to enable only pristine truth to flow into the mind. Such meditation was performed by simultaneously paying devotional reverences to God when I felt that I had some fresh insights that had arrived into the mind. It led me to pleasant sensations, joy, contentment and utter peacefulness so I could get on with living my dharmic life.
You are confused with terms here. There are two basic types of meditation; Concentrative meditation, and Insight, or Awareness meditation. Concentrative is a single point of focus meditation, whereas Insight or Awareness meditation is a defocal meditation.

If you wish to learn more about these, this is a great summary by Ken Wilber explaining the differences and the various stages of meditation associated with Insight meditation. "Devotion to God" is not really a Buddhist practice, but it certainly can be part of Insight meditation, when entering the high-subtle and low-causal states in meditation. At high causal, deity forms disappear into pure Emptiness.

From the interview:

It is common among scholars to divide meditation into two broad categories, called “concentration” and “awareness” (or “insight”) meditation. Or, “opened” and “closed”. For example, let’s say you are looking at a wall that has hundreds of dots painted on it. In concentration meditation, you look at just one dot, and you look at it so fiercely that you don’t even see the other dots. This develops your powers of concentration. In awareness training, or insight meditation, you try to be as aware of all the dots as you can be. This increases your sensitivity, awareness, and wisdom, in that sense.

In concentration meditation, you put your attention on one object—a rock, a candle flame, your breathing, a mantra, the heart prayer, and so on. By intensely concentrating on a single object, you as subject gradually become “identified” with that object. You start to undercut subject/object dualism, which is the basis of all suffering and illusion. Gradually, higher and higher realms of existence, leading toward the ultimate or nondual dimension, are all made obvious to you. You transcend your ordinary self or ego, and find the higher and subtler dimensions of existence—the spiritual and transcendental.

However, this is reaching the higher dimensions by “brute force”, so to speak. And although concentration meditation is said to be very important, by itself it doesn’t uproot our tendencies to create dualism in the first place. In fact, it just ignores them, it tries to bypass them. It focuses on one dot and ignores all the others. Concentration meditation can definitely show us some of the higher realms, but it can’t permanently install us at those higher realms. For that, you have to look at all the dots. You have to investigate all of experience, with detachment, nonjudgmentalism, equanimity, and crystal clear awareness.
Read more here: Ken Wilber Stages Of Meditation | Awaken