• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where to meditate?

Shantanu

I would say that should keep you from seeing the Obvious, until you stop such a pursuit. :) It is "Just this". That's the fullest possible exposition.
No, we are still on the subject of God and what He does and wishes: you need to address whether He sets out to destroy the evil that He created through Brahman Consciousness.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, we are still on the subject of God and what He does and wishes:
Your words were, "Knowledge is what I live for and I will not stop until I have found the fullest possible exposition of the Ultimate Reality." Are you in agreement with me now then that God is the Ultimate Reality, or Nirguna Brahman?

I thought you said God is a deity, not Ultimate Reality. So it seems you brought the topic back to that then, away from God. My response was apropos then. To have the fullest exposition of Brahman, or Ultimate Reality (which I chose to call God), then, is to not seek to have one. It is "Just This".

The key to this is this. If you can wrap your mind around it, it's your ego. If you can contain Ultimate Reality within your thoughts, then your ego is claiming it can comprehend the Universe with its thoughts. That pursuit will land you right back in the ego, and your pursuit of Truth will never be Realized. It is only in letting go of, surrendering such pursuits that you Awaken.

you need to address whether He sets out to destroy the evil that He created through Brahman Consciousness.
I don't recall that question being posed to me. It makes no sense to me in my thinking, in that I see God as All That Is. "Destroying evil" presumes such a thing exists. That's dualistic, not nondual.

Shantanu

Are you in agreement with me now then that God is the Ultimate Reality, or Nirguna Brahman?

God exists if one wishes God to exist in the living reality to seek guidance from on one's dharma (duties and righteous actions). This God is not the Ultimate Reality for once one has taken care of ones persecutors one is left with no dharma to perform, apart from mundane things relating to existence. So one becomes non dual in one's outlook.

Have you heard the sloka from Bhagavad Gita, Jada jada his dharmasya, glanir bhavati bharata, abhyithyanam dharmasya tadatmanam srijanmayam, paritranaya sadhuna vinasha chaya chdrstikaam, dharma sanasthapanarthaya sambhavami juge juge.

In English it means: 'when there is a preponderance of evil in this world I manifest myself to protect the weak but good and establish dharma'.

This is in the world that we have to survive in: Beyond that there is Nirguna Brahman Consciousness that directs the advaitin into his activities.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God exists if one wishes God to exist in the living reality to seek guidance from on one's dharma (duties and righteous actions).
Yes, God can be understood that way too. That's how you exclusively understand God. That's how I partially understand God.

Let me see if I cannot explain this further. One can experience the Ultimate Reality (which term you and I seem to agree upon), in three different ways. 1st person, 2nd person, and 3rd person. This is so because we as human beings experience life in one of these three ways. So the Absolute can be approached and experienced in each of these three ways.

3rd person is the objective "it". So Reality can be perceived and experienced as other to oneself. This could be a Pantheistic view where all of nature is Spirit, or God, or the Absolute (all the same in my language).

2nd person is relational, the "Holy Other". It is seen as other to you, but there is a personal, intimate relationship. It is an I-Thou relationship. This is how I see you interpreting and understanding what God is, exclusively in your case.

1st person is Self identification as the Ultimate Reality. "Thou art that", "I AM". You recognize that you are God.

I see God, and speak of God in all three senses. You seem to see it as only one thing. And that's fine. But you have to allow that others understand it in other ways, such as 3rd, and 1st person views.

In English it means: 'when there is a preponderance of evil in this world I manifest myself to protect the weak and establish dharma'.
Sure, this is God in 2nd person perspective.

This is in the world that we have to survive in: Beyond that there is Nirguna Brahman Consciousness that directs the advaitin into his activities.
You are dividing things. Dividing things is not nonduality.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Indeed. God interjects into the affairs of humans, as in my case. I have conclusive proof of that.
If you are Braham, and Brahman is Ultimate Reality, then how are you not God? Isn't Ultimate Reality God as well? Doesn't Ultimate Reality mean the Absolute? How can the Absolute not be everything, including God?

Shantanu

If you are Braham, and Brahman is Ultimate Reality, then how are you not God? Isn't Ultimate Reality God as well? Doesn't Ultimate Reality mean the Absolute? How can the Absolute not be everything, including God?
I am definitely not God, I am a jivatman merging with Brahman, the Ultimate Reality which is satchitananda. This Brahman is Nirguna Brahman and is the Absolute Reality. Through maya Nirguna Brahman is transformed into Saguna Brahman who we Hindus refer to as God (Ishwar). This God can and does manipulate and coerce us when we surrender to it in order to fulfill our survival requirements. The jivatman is not merging with this God but only periodically consults Him and worships Him through the digital clock type gadgets and idol worship etc. that I have told you about.I may chose to disassociate myself from this God if I no longer need Him for my survival needs.

As an advaitin I only merge with Brahman and attain satchitananda.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Meditation can be done anywhere one feel is good, but sometimes one find a place that make the meditation more easy, and to me that is deep within the forest or a mountain.

Do you have some area you meditate more often or does it not matter?
My favorite place is the forest for both sitting and walking meditation. But any place will do. A few places for the last several days are: work, dentist chair, driving to town, the woods of couse, and an airplane. I think the key to meditation is to get to the point where a person can meditate anywhere at any time which is wanted or needed. It is such an invaluable tool to be able to use.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, we can add an MRI tube to the list. I had a great 45 minute meditation in one this morning.

Unguru

I am a Sikh nice to meet you
Meditation can be done anywhere one feel is good, but sometimes one find a place that make the meditation more easy, and to me that is deep within the forest or a mountain.

Do you have some area you meditate more often or does it not matter?

Where did you go?
I popped out for a few days and now you've disappeared???