• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where to meditate?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Meditation can be done anywhere one feel is good, but sometimes one find a place that make the meditation more easy, and to me that is deep within the forest or a mountain.

Do you have some area you meditate more often or does it not matter?

Attachments

• 17881385_1825388551045058_7476330034064523264_n.jpg
    17881385_1825388551045058_7476330034064523264_n.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Walking meditation tends to work better for me in the afternoon as my monkey-mind tends to chatter too much for sitting meditation, but the latter is better for me in the early morning because if I use walking meditation I'd undoubtedly be slamming into trees.

BTW, I use the latter more when at mass.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Meditation can be done anywhere one feel is good, but sometimes one find a place that make the meditation more easy, and to me that is deep within the forest or a mountain.

You're lucky as you live in Norway, with it's beautiful natural landscapes. I live in central Ohio, in a boring bland city with very little natural beauty. It's very uninspiring.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You're lucky as you live in Norway, with it's beautiful natural landscapes. I live in central Ohio, in a boring bland city with very little natural beauty. It's very uninspiring.
Yes Norway do have beautiful nature and a lot of life within it :)
Maybe you could try meditation on top of a skyscraper?

ManSinha

if I use walking meditation I'd undoubtedly be slamming into trees.
I walk from 4-5 miles daily and am fortunate enough to have a park nearby with a walking trail. I often step off the path onto the gravel as I frequently find myself walking with my eyes closed as I am meditating - the few animal walkers nod and continue their way (when I hear footfalls I open my eyes)

That said - it is addressed as such in SGGS

upload_2019-3-12_12-37-21.png

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes Norway do have beautiful nature and a lot of life within it :)
Maybe you could try meditation on top of a skyscraper?
I'm afraid of heights but there is a skyscraper that has nice views on the top. I would prefer a forest or wooded area to commune with the gods, though.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm afraid of heights but there is a skyscraper that has nice views on the top. I would prefer a forest or wooded area to commune with the gods, though.
That i understand :)

I have experienced that animals are not afraid of me when i sit in meditation in the forest :) maybe they are curious

Jumi

I have experienced that animals are not afraid of me when i sit in meditation in the forest :) maybe they are curious
Yeah they sometimes react when meditating outside in nature. It's quite interesting. I've had a few such encounters. One wonders if this is how people domesticated pets at first.

Jumi

I just love walking in the forest or by the river, certainly helps clear the mind
That's very close to walking meditation. Doing such things naturally is of course better than thinking you're about to do some walking meditation... :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yeah they sometimes react when meditating outside in nature. It's quite interesting. I've had a few such encounters. One wonders if this is how people domesticated pets at first.
Honestly that i do not know :)
But i have had fox come close to and when i open my eyes when i was ending the meditation the fox was next to me sleeping

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That's very close to walking meditation. Doing such things naturally is of course better than thinking you're about to do some walking meditation... :)

I think there can be a lot of elitist hype attached to the word meditation, i consider it thinking and working things out. When i have said this before to people who dont think but meditate, i am always told i dont know how to meditate or i am trivialising it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I find it very hard in my home environment. I visit Scotland a lot and some of my best meditation has been there.
I did a meditation in middle of the capitiol ofNorway (Oslo) and actually it was no proble, because when i meditate even the sound will disapear when doing it right :) But i know not everyone will meditate when there is many people around

rocala

I did a meditation in middle of the capitiol ofNorway
I agree with you on this point Amanaki. With me however I think it is more a 'state of mind'. As I have grown older the city increasingly represents all that I find wrong with life and this can really get to me. When I stay in rural areas, within a few days, I am a different person.