• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is God's TRUE CHURCH?

dorcas3000

Squirt said:
Well, an Apostle would have to be called by revelation from God. This revelation would be received by the Prophet and the Holy Ghost would have to confirm to the other Apostles that the revelation was, in fact, from God. There are twelve living Apostles in the Quorum that directs the affairs of the Church, so it is only when one of them dies that a new one would be called to replace him. When any man is called to be an Apostle, he gives up whatever other career he has at the time and serves as an Apostle until his death.

Are 'apostles' well versed in Mormon doctrine when they get this 'revelation?' Like, have there been any apostles that had a 'revelation' before they became Mormon? Have there ever been particularly young apostles? Different races? Or is there a link where I can find this info? I'm curious to know more about how the 'apostleship' works, since it's such a major claim of the Mormon church. It's seems rather 'hush hush' from my viewpoint though.

dorcas3000

Squirt said:
They were the foundation upon which He built His Church. If the foundation of any structure is removed, it can't expect to stand strong.

As an architect, I can assure you that once the foundation is laid - it is laid. Just because a steeple or a window is built of different materials and looks different than the foundation doesn't mean it doesn't rely on the foundation.

FFH

Veteran Member
The true church of Christ will preach the first principles and ordinances of the gospel, which are:

Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ
Repentance of sins

Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins (by one who has the authority of the Aaronic Priesthood)
Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost (by one who has the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood)

Christ said, “But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men” (Matt. 15:9). In Mark’s parallel account of this statement, He continued, “Full well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your own tradition” (7:9).All those who sincerely believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior comprise the true Church.

MOD EDIT: Source found at http://www.thercg.org/books/wigtc.html.

Bishka

Veteran Member
dorcas3000 said:
Are 'apostles' well versed in Mormon doctrine when they get this 'revelation?' Like, have there been any apostles that had a 'revelation' before they became Mormon? Have there ever been particularly young apostles? Different races? Or is there a link where I can find this info? I'm curious to know more about how the 'apostleship' works, since it's such a major claim of the Mormon church. It's seems rather 'hush hush' from my viewpoint though.

Hush hush? :D Not really, there were a lot of young apostles when the Church was first organized. We also have the quorum of the seventy and things like that. I'm not sure where to find all this, but I'll look, but in the meantime, I bet Squirt will find you something.

A

angellous_evangellous

TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
Christ said, “But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men” (Matt. 15:9). In Mark’s parallel account of this statement, He continued, “Full well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your own tradition” (7:9).All those who sincerely believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior comprise the true Church.

This quote was stolen from "Where is God's True Church" by David Pack available at
http://www.thercg.org/books/wigtc.html

"Christ said, “But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men” (Matt. 15:9). In Mark’s parallel account of this statement, He continued, “Full well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your own tradition” (7:9) The world’s Christianity is filled with traditions. One of the largest is the traditional view of the New Testament Church. Most ministers, theologians and religionists typically define the church in this way: “All those who sincerely believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior comprise the true Church.”

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Did Christ build one, unified, organized Church? Or is His Church divided? He said, “I will build my church”—not “churches,” “fellowships,” “sects,” “denominations” or “communities of believers.” He promised that the “gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Where is it and how can it be identified? Does anyone have any input on this topic?? Thank you

The true church is the church that is doing exactly as the Bible tells them. They are not adding onto it, and they are not taking away from it. It is like the New Testament church.

So is your church doing this? If it is, I believe you are attending a true church. My church does this, so I think it is a true church (not the true church).

And as I have said many times before, the name of your denomination does not matter. As long as your congregation is following the Bible correctly, you are a true church, whether you call yourselves Baptists, Mormons, Nazarenes, whatever.

A

angellous_evangellous

beckysoup61 said:
:confused:

For what? I just showed that you were plagarizing without giving credit.

More than half of that poster's comments are stolen from other websites.

A

angellous_evangellous

TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
Did Christ build one, unified, organized Church? Or is His Church divided? He said, “I will build my church”—not “churches,” “fellowships,” “sects,” “denominations” or “communities of believers.” He promised that the “gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Where is it and how can it be identified? Does anyone have any input on this topic?? Thank you

Yes, even the OP was stolen from http://www.thercg.org/books/wigtc.html!

Did Christ build one, unified, organized Church? Or is His Church divided? He said, “I will build my church”—not “churches,” “fellowships,” “sects,” “denominations” or “communities of believers.” He promised that the “gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Where is it and how is it identified?

Squirt

standing_alone said:
But isn't the foundation of all of Christianity a love for the Savior Jesus Christ? Certainly love and belief in Jesus Christ as the Savior is the foundation of any church, physical or just in faith.
Certainly one of the core principles of Jesus Christ's Church is love for Him and for our fellow men. But He did establish a Church and the scriptures do say that is was built on a foundation of Prophets and Apostles.

standing_alone

But He did establish a Church and the scriptures do say that is was built on a foundation of Prophets and Apostles.

Okay, so how does this go against my claim that the "true" church wouldn't be an actual "physical" or "visible" church, but the faith, belief, and acceptance of Jesus Christ, the scriptures, and Christianity in a person't heart?

A

angellous_evangellous

:p
beckysoup61 said:
Isn't plagarizing without credit illegal on this forum?

I thought so. I've repeatedly reported this fraudulent imposter. The situation is completely in the hands of the administrators and MODs. At least we know that the thief is among us.

Christiangirl0909 said:
The true church is the church that is doing exactly as the Bible tells them. They are not adding onto it, and they are not taking away from it. It is like the New Testament church.

So is your church doing this? If it is, I believe you are attending a true church. My church does this, so I think it is a true church (not the true church).

And as I have said many times before, the name of your denomination does not matter. As long as your congregation is following the Bible correctly, you are a true church, whether you call yourselves Baptists, Mormons, Nazarenes, whatever.

Sorry, but that last statement makes no sense whatsoever. Baptist, Mormons, and Nazarenes, are three different churches, with three different sets of teachings (Mormon theology is especially distinct from the other two). Yet they all would say they follow the teachings of the Bible, yet all of their teachings are not the same, and therefore cannot all be true. So obviously, a subjective standard of "following the Bible correctly" (which really comes down to how a church interprets the Bible) is not a cannot be the only standard for the One, True Church.

FerventGodSeeker

Squirt

dorcas3000 said:
Are 'apostles' well versed in Mormon doctrine when they get this 'revelation?'
Oh yes. They have all served in various positions within the Church before they are called to the Apostleship. A more all-encompassing term for the entire Church leadership (which includes several quorums of "Seventy") is the "General Authorities."

Like, have there been any apostles that had a 'revelation' before they became Mormon?
No. And Apostles don't individually have revelations of behalf of the Church anyway. Only the Prophet does. In other words, one Apostle couldn't have a revelation on one matter and another Apostle have a revelation contradicting it. They are a unified body and the keys of authority reside with them collectively, not individually.

Have there ever been particularly young apostles?
I'm assuming you're talking about recent times. Joseph Smith founded the Church when he was only 34 years old and many of the Apostles at that time were young. I'm also not quite sure what you're thinking of when you say "young." (To me, everybody's "young." :D ) Thomas S. Monson, who is currently next in line to become the Prophet when Gordon B. Hinckley dies, was called to be an Apostle when he was 36 years old. In looking through the statistics on the current Quroum of the Twelve, it looks like most of them were called to be Apostles during their fifties or early sixties.

Different races?
There have been members of the Seventy who were not Caucasian. I don't believe there have been any non-Caucasian Apostles yet.

Or is there a link where I can find this info? I'm curious to know more about howthe 'apostleship' works, since it's such a major claim of the Mormon church. It's seems rather 'hush hush' from my viewpoint though.
It's not hush-hush at all. You could go to www.mormon.org or to www.lds.org. I'm not sure what you'd find there, but I'll see if I can find some other website with this information for you.

Squirt

dorcas3000 said:
As an architect, I can assure you that once the foundation is laid - it is laid. Just because a steeple or a window is built of different materials and looks different than the foundation doesn't mean it doesn't rely on the foundation.
I think you may have missed my point. I'm not talking about the steeple or windows being built of different materials. I'm just saying that the foundation is the first part of any structure to be built. The walls, roof, etc. aren't erected first, but are added after the foundation is laid. If, once the entire building was erected, someone managed to chip away at the foundation and slowly damage it, the remainder of the building would eventually topple. Wouldn't you agree?