• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is God's TRUE CHURCH?

Did Christ build one, unified, organized Church? Or is His Church divided? He said, “I will build my church”—not “churches,” “fellowships,” “sects,” “denominations” or “communities of believers.” He promised that the “gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Where is it and how can it be identified? Does anyone have any input on this topic?? Thank you

MOD EDIT: Source found at http://www.thercg.org/books/wigtc.html.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Oh, there are many churches/sects/beliefs that have an opinion on it, and they all claim to be His one true Church.

I don't want to be flamed, but shouldn't we look for in a Church what Christ established? He had apostles, preachers and teachers, right? That's one thing I would look for, apostles. :)

I'll just let this go though.

Squirt

TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
Did Christ build one, unified, organized Church? Or is His Church divided? He said, “I will build my church”—not “churches,” “fellowships,” “sects,” “denominations” or “communities of believers.” He promised that the “gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Where is it and how can it be identified? Does anyone have any input on this topic?? Thank you
Well, you're probably sure it's your Church and I'm sure it's mine. My prediction that this thread will either die out quickly or will turn into a hostile one where all Christians turn against one another instead of trying to find the common ground which unites them.

Yes, Jesus Christ did establish a Church. He built it on a foundation of Prophets and Apostles, He being the chief cornerstone. Where is it today? I'd say that, for starters, it would have to be one that exists on a foundation of Prophets and Apostles. :D You take it from there...

standing_alone

I don't know, but when I was a Christian (Lutheran), my church had this idea of "visible" curches and "invisible" churches.

Here's how those are defined in Luther's Catechism:

"Visible" churches were defined as "[g]roups of people who gather to use the means of grace."

"Invisible" churches were defined as "[t]he group consisting of all those everywhere who believe in Jesus as their Savior. They cannot be identified with absolute certainty because only God can see faith in the heart."

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but it's the first thing I thought of when reading your post.

standing_alone

stupid little me said:
I don't know, but when I was a Christian (Lutheran), my church had this idea of "visible" curches and "invisible" churches.

Here's how those are defined in Luther's Catechism:

"Visible" churches were defined as "[g]roups of people who gather to use the means of grace."

"Invisible" churches were defined as "[t]he group consisting of all those everywhere who believe in Jesus as their Savior. They cannot be identified with absolute certainty because only God can see faith in the heart."

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but it's the first thing I thought of when reading your post.

To go further with my point, I guess there isn't one denomination or whatever that is the "true" church, but only those people who genuinely believe Jesus is their Savior. I don't know; something like that. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

While it has been said, “They can’t all be wrong,” it is more correct to say, “They cannot all be right.” If Christ built His Church as He said, then it can be found somewhere on earth today—and it is the only right Church. But we must ask: How do we find it—what do we look for—how do we identify it—how do we know it if we see it?
I just like to know if we can truly find it by studying God's Word.And my wish is for a christian debate,not a hostile lynching.

MOD EDIT: Source found at http://www.thercg.org/books/wigtc.html.

standing_alone

TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
How do we find it—what do we look for—how do we identify it—how do we know it if we see it?

I think only God can see his "true" church - and I wouldn't think it would be a certain denomination, sect, or whatever of Christianity, but rather a group of people from all different denominations, sects, etc. that believe in their heart that Jesus is Savior.

Squirt

standing_alone said:
I think only God can see his "true" church - and I wouldn't think it would be a certain denomination, sect, or whatever of Christianity, but rather a group of people from all different denominations, sects, etc. that believe in their heart that Jesus is Savior.
I agree that there are, in fact, sincere believers within all Christian denominations who accept Jesus as their Savior and, in a sense, these people do comprise His Church. On the other hand, it doesn't seem logical to me that we can simply dismiss the importance of (1) true doctrines and (2) authorized leadership. It is mathematically impossible for two or more Christian denominations who are teaching conflicting and contradictory doctrines to both be teaching the truth. Furthermore, I don't think God would authorize more than one denomination to operate under His Authority. I disagree with TheTruthWillSetUFree, however, that that Church has to exist somewhere. I think it would be theoretically possible for there to be no "100% true" Church on the face of the earth today.

standing_alone

Squirt said:
It doesn't seem to me that we can simply dismiss the importance of (1) true doctrines and (2) authorized leadership.

I guess I should have clarified that these various people scattered about the globe and about different denominations and sects and such would believe in what would be considered "true doctrine" and wouldn't the only "authorized leadership" that matters be the leadership of God himself?

Squirt said:
But just to clarify one thing... I don't believe that even if there is a single Church that fits the criteria we're looking for, that makes all other Churches corrupt and evil and all of their membership a bunch of heretics.

And I should probably clarify that I'm not a Christian nor believe in an Abrahamic God, so I'm really just arguing this point just because I find it interesting and not because I really believe it. :D

alexander garcia

Hi,My opinion is that A follower of the truth would call true followers out of the lies. In scripture you have it speaking of being perfect and how to tell the true from the lie. If you can find where they are not holding to the clear word of the Almighty then get away from them. read 1 John chapter 3 and see what it says about who is who. Reality if I believe there is but one creator as the scriptures state and some one else believes in three gods (trinity) we don't believe the sametrue? Or do you think that if you call on Allah is it the same as calling on Elohim? Also the name Jesus Christ is a false name that started as IESOUS in Greek. It is the same as if you believe that child molesters are true followers? Scripturetells you that if some one calls themselves a brother and he is commiting sin know not to even eat with them.

Squirt said:
I disagree. It doesn't seem to me that we can simply dismiss the importance of (1) true doctrines and (2) authorized leadership. I don't think it is possible for there to be more than one Church that teaches only true doctrines (without any false ones mixed in), nor do I think God would authorize more than one Church to operate under His Authority. I disagree with TheTruthWillSetUFree, however, that that Church has to exist somewhere. I think it would be theoretically possible for there to be no "100% true" Church on the face of the earth today.

But just to clarify one thing... I don't believe that even if there is a single Church that fits the criteria we're looking for, that makes all other Churches corrupt and evil and all of their membership a bunch of heretics.

They may not all be corrupt and evil,but if they teach the wrong message,they cant be the TRUE CHURCH.

Squirt

dorcas3000 said:
I have one question... In the Mormon church, who decides if someone is an apostle? Is there certian criteria?
Well, an Apostle would have to be called by revelation from God. This revelation would be received by the Prophet and the Holy Ghost would have to confirm to the other Apostles that the revelation was, in fact, from God. There are twelve living Apostles in the Quorum that directs the affairs of the Church, so it is only when one of them dies that a new one would be called to replace him. When any man is called to be an Apostle, he gives up whatever other career he has at the time and serves as an Apostle until his death.

lunamoth

Will to love
The Church is the Body of Christ and I agree with whoever above said that God knows His Church even if we can't quite figure it out. My little view on this is that God's Church is not restricted to any one denomination, nor to all or most of the denominations, nor to just Christianity. And we can all be at least partially wrong, and partially right.

God's Chruch is made up of those who obey His command, or who at least commit themselves to trying. His command? Love one another (John 15:17, 1 Thess 4:9, 1 Peter 4:8).

Also, the Body is made up of many parts. All different, all serving, all important.

peace,
lunamoth

Squirt

standing_alone said:
I guess I should have clarified that these various people scattered about the globe and about different denominations and sects and such would believe in what would be considered "true doctrine" and wouldn't the only "authorized leadership" that matters be the leadership of God himself?
Well, yes, in a very real sense that would be the case. Jesus Christ was the cornerstone of the Church He personally organized. But the Prophets and Apostles He ordained to serve with Him were all acting under His direction. They were the foundation upon which He built His Church. If the foundation of any structure is removed, it can't expect to stand strong. Christ gave them power and authority to act in His name. If that same power and authority does not exist today, then neither does His true Church.

And I should probably clarify that I'm not a Christian nor believe in an Abrahamic God, so I'm really just arguing this point just because I find it interesting and not because I really believe it. :D
Oh sure, just be a troublemaker! :D

standing_alone

I can't believe I'm using Biblical scripture (NIV) in an argument:p , but here goes:

Luke 17:20,21: "The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you.

Don't know if this means anything or if it's relavant.

standing_alone

Squirt said:
They were the foundation upon which He built His Church. If the foundation of any structure is removed, it can't expect to stand strong.

But isn't the foundation of all of Christianity a love for the Savior Jesus Christ? Certainly love and belief in Jesus Christ as the Savior is the foundation of any church, physical or just in faith.

Squirt said:
Oh sure, just be a troublemaker! :D

That's what I do best. :D

lunamoth

Will to love
standing_alone said:
I can't believe I'm using Biblical scripture (NIV) in an argument:p , but here goes:

Luke 17:20,21: "The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you.

Don't know if this means anything or if it's relavant.

Oh, that's very relavant. Well done! Frubals be upon you.

lunamoth