• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is God's TRUE CHURCH?

LaSal

A stoic Mormon is one who evaluates and acts based not upon being dictated to doing so, but based upon whether it is right. Example, do I visit a neighbor because I'm told it is my responsibility to do so once a month, or do I make the visit because it is the right thing to do.

LaSal

truth: It is not founded, it is a philosophical approach that I am in the evolutionary states of becoming. Being told to do and a blessing will be waiting at the end doesn't work. As a psychologist I've seen this in behavioral modification attempts.

LaSal

Diogenes writes, "Philosophical doctrine, say the Stoics, falls into three parts: one physical, another ethical, and the third logical." The Stoics stressed, that these three divisions of philosophy are interdependent; one cannot study one without touching upon the others. It was the ethics, however, that was so greatly valued among the later Stoics; Stoics ethics provided its adherents with a theoretical framework with which to protect oneself psychologically against the vicissitudes of life. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

LaSal

Nutshell: Do you believe "blessings" are necessary? Or can our actions be based upon other motives?

Squirt

LaSal said:
Do you believe "blessings" are necessary? Or can our actions be based upon other motives?
I know for a surety that my actions are based upon my love for God and my desire to please Him. He has already blessed me far beyond what I deserve, so additional blessings are not really an issue with me. I do believe that He will "reward every man according to his works," though. The scriptures are full of promised blessings for those who are obedient to God's commandments. It's really pretty difficult to pretend they don't exist, wouldn't you agree?

dorcas3000

Squirt said:
You're right. We believe that Peter was the senior Apostle. Christ gave him all of the keys of authority when He said, "And upon this rock I shall build my Church..." We follow the same tradition.

Thanks for answering. Now, you didn't answer one of my questions earlier, so I will ask it again. You said that all revelations come through the senior apostle only - and this idea comes from....the Bible? What is your (or the LDS) take on the Gentile church, since this revelation did NOT originate through Peter, it originated through Paul? Peter in fact took awhile before he accepted this revelation.

Bishadi

I don't think God would authorize more than one denomination to operate under His Authority. I disagree with TheTruthWillSetUFree, however, that that Church has to exist somewhere. I think it would be theoretically possible for there to be no "100% true" Church on the face of the earth today.

Your right there isn’t one Chursh because the interpretations have not been completed. And God does not “authorize” he is the total and what is going to be is already known. Time is relevant in any picture and it can’t be refuted based on the fact that prophecies and seeing is very real. Have you ever had dejavu? I should get a big “yes” from every person on this forum, well you tasted seeing yourself.

I guess I should have clarified that these various people scattered about the globe and about different denominations and sects and such would believe in what would be considered "true doctrine" and wouldn't the only "authorized leadership" that matters be the leadership of God himself?
God is not a separate “thing” His existence is within all things and the whole universe at once and every thought, revelation, process or anything is a part of this total at the same time. It is usually only the humble who are willing to share what they saw or have finally realized.

God's Chruch is made up of those who obey His command, or who at least commit themselves to trying. His command? Love one another (John
15:17, 1 Thess 4:9, 1 Peter 4:8).

Also, the Body is made up of many parts. All different, all serving, all important
This is so important. We are a part of the total and as we do anything we affect everything and everybody whether we know it or not.
All the prophets have been telling us to Love one another as the conscious things we are all have a direct link to the collective.

Luke 17:20,21: "The
kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you.
Just like it says, we are of Him, the collective. God is not some thing on a throne.

You said that all revelations come through the senior apostle only - and this idea comes from....the Bible?
All have the ability to see but most are too wrapped up in the self to ever know this ability. Remove any need of your self and become a “senior” apostle finally realizing the same thing most of our the prophets and disciples knew but if you really want an immediate taste go the Eastern theology and there is a direct set of steps to acknowledge this uniform existence right now.

SO do any single sects have it right, absolutely not, but they all have a good idea and it is because the sciences cannot share the complete picture we continue to have unrest. Well that is changing.

nutshell

LaSal said:
Nutshell: Do you believe "blessings" are necessary? Or can our actions be based upon other motives?

I think each individual has his or her own unique set of motives, which may or may not include "blessings."

Squirt

dorcas3000 said:
Thanks for answering. Now, you didn't answer one of my questions earlier, so I will ask it again. You said that all revelations come through the senior apostle only - and this idea comes from....the Bible? What is your (or the LDS) take on the Gentile church, since this revelation did NOT originate through Peter, it originated through Paul? Peter in fact took awhile before he accepted this revelation.
Sorry, I guess I'm not clear on the question. We believed that Jesus Christ gave the keys of authority to Peter. We just don't believe this authority was ever passed from Peter to the first Pope (Clement, I believe? Hmmm. Not sure.) While we believe that there is biblical support for most of our doctrines, the details of such things as apostolic succession, etc. are based on modern-day revelation.

JRR

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true and living church upon the earth. God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith and he was called as the first modern day prophet. Priesthood authority was restored to him John the Baptist and the apostles Peter, James and John. Gifts of the spirit, visions and revelations from God are never ending in this church. It is God's kingdom on earth.

Squirt

JRR said:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true and living church upon the earth. God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith and he was called as the first modern day prophet. Priesthood authority was restored to him John the Baptist and the apostles Peter, James and John. Gifts of the spirit, visions and revelations from God are never ending in this church. It is God's kingdom on earth.
Hello, JRR.

Welcome to the forum. I'm happy to see that you have such a strong testimony. My guess is that your experience on forums such as this one is rather limited? Am I right?

gnostic

The Lost One
I believe that the True Church died out 2-3 generations after Jesus' time had departed. Different sects came out of it, after the 1st century AD. The churches was already changing by the end of 1st century.

nutshell

gnostic said:
I believe that the True Church died out 2-3 generations after Jesus' time had departed. Different sects came out of it, after the 1st century AD. The churches was already changing by the end of 1st century.

I agree.

But I also think God has brought the True Church back after this falling away.

I believe the TRUE CHURCH has to obey God's comandments.And that would have to be a church that REMEMBERS THE SABBATH DAY.the 7th day.And worships and rests on that day.SATURDAY.

nutshell

TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
I believe the TRUE CHURCH has to obey God's comandments.And that would have to be a church that REMEMBERS THE SABBATH DAY.the 7th day.And worships and rests on that day.SATURDAY.

Unless there is continuing revelation and God changed it.