• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When they ask me, how do I know the Bible is TRUTH

It is possible to prove that the Bible was inspired by a God who could foretell the future thousands of years before it occured. Fulfilled prophecy is the proof of the Bible. There are prophecies that were written before the time of Christ that have been fulfilled in history in just the last 200 hundred years, and I believe that it so unlikely that these predictions could have come true just by chance that I believe these prophecies with the history of their fulfillment is a proof that God is the real author of the Bible.

But that is just a first step. Because that can lead to the next question, how do you know that God is telling the truth? This is where faith comes in. I have proven to myself that the Bible is God's word, but I had to make a decision of faith to believe that God is trustworthy and that His word is true and that He will never lie or break His promises. Whether to believe God or not is a decision everyone will have to make at some time or another.

Pah

Uber all member
It is possible to prove that the Bible was inspired by a God who could foretell the future thousands of years before it occured. Fulfilled prophecy is the proof of the Bible. There are prophecies that were written before the time of Christ that have been fulfilled in history in just the last 200 hundred years, and I believe that it so unlikely that these predictions could have come true just by chance that I believe these prophecies with the history of their fulfillment is a proof that God is the real author of the Bible.

But that is just a first step. Because that can lead to the next question, how do you know that God is telling the truth? This is where faith comes in. I have proven to myself that the Bible is God's word, but I had to make a decision of faith to believe that God is trustworthy and that His word is true and that He will never lie or break His promises. Whether to believe God or not is a decision everyone will have to make at some time or another.
If prophesy were a "truth" Nostradamus could well be a God. But what Nostadamus and the Bile have in common is "prophesy" so vague and "results" that don't match the prophesy. No biblical prophesy was been verified as truth.

nutshell

The "proof" in the Bible is in the Spirit that touches your heart and mind when you read it with an open heart and contrite spirit.

Pah

Uber all member
nutshell said:
The "proof" in the Bible is in the Spirit that touches your heart and mind when you read it with an open heart and contrite spirit.
Indeed, that is the only "proof" that carries any weight.

Pah said:
No biblical prophesy was been verified as truth.

Wrong. There are prophecies that have been fulfilled, but you won't find them. You won't find them because you won't look. You won't look because you already made up your mind they are not there. And if you found them, you would not recognize them because you don't want to.

Pah

Uber all member
Wrong. There are prophecies that have been fulfilled, but you won't find them. You won't find them because you won't look. You won't look because you already made up your mind they are not there. And if you found them, you would not recognize them because you don't want to.
Please show me an unambigious prohecy that can be verified

A

angellous_evangellous

Pah said:
Please show me an unambigious prohecy that can be verified

It's possible I think that Jeremiah's prophesy of the fall of Jerusalem in 587 BCE(prophesied in 609). It's interesting that the Temple Sermon (Jerm 7.1-12 or so) fits within a very specific genre of pre-exhilic Judasim, but predicts the destruction of the temple. It's either right before the fall of the temple or right after, depending on how we interpret the mixing of exhilic and post-exhilic vocabulary.

I've been taught that most prophesy in the OT comes after the fact - it is people making sense theologically out of what happened to them.

However, in my attempt to interpret Jerm 7.1-12 in an exhilic context is frustrated by several elements that would make much more since in a pre-exhilic context.

Pah

Uber all member
angellous_evangellous said:
It's possible I think that Jeremiah's prophesy of the fall of Jerusalem in 587 BCE(prophesied in 609). It's interesting that the Temple Sermon (Jerm 7.1-12 or so) fits within a very specific genre of pre-exhilic Judasim, but predicts the destruction of the temple. It's either right before the fall of the temple or right after, depending on how we interpret the mixing of exhilic and post-exhilic vocabulary.

I've been taught that most prophesy in the OT comes after the fact - it is people making sense theologically out of what happened to them.

However, in my attempt to interpret Jerm 7.1-12 in an exhilic context is frustrated by several elements that would make much more since in a pre-exhilic context.
Sure sounds ambigious to me

ProfLogic

TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
I get alot of people tell me ,how do I know that the writings in the Bible are true.?You know it happened so long ago,what makes you think any of that stuff really happened.Every time I try to explain some scriptures ,they always question there accuracy.I'll tell them that its History that is documented over 2000 years.They still have there excuses.So anymore I just say to them,who was the first President of the United States.And they say George Washington.And I say how do you know that.They say it is written in history books.And I say ,how do we know those writers are telling the truth.You get my point?History is hisory.The BIBLE is History.It did happen.No excuses,It is GOD's Word.Its the Truth.and it is all Inspired by God.

It really depends on your point of view. It shouldn't matter your beliefs or another's. The problem starts when someone who based their knowledge of the bible on other's writings says that they know what the correct meaning is, I will be highly suspicious. Since I experienced the curse/ other says gift of prophecy, I know what the bible truly is. If you really are at a loss, it don't really matter since it is your own belief. I don't base it on anyone's writing but an actual experience. My suggestion to you is no matter what happens always be in control of your life. No self proclaimed god can ever take that away from you.

RevOxley_501

TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
I get alot of people tell me ,how do I know that the writings in the Bible are true.?You know it happened so long ago,what makes you think any of that stuff really happened.Every time I try to explain some scriptures ,they always question there accuracy.I'll tell them that its History that is documented over 2000 years.They still have there excuses.So anymore I just say to them,who was the first President of the United States.And they say George Washington.And I say how do you know that.They say it is written in history books.And I say ,how do we know those writers are telling the truth.You get my point?History is hisory.The BIBLE is History.It did happen.No excuses,It is GOD's Word.Its the Truth.and it is all Inspired by God.

wow...

that should take you far in life!! :rolleyes:

A

angellous_evangellous

Pah said:
Sure sounds ambigious to me

You're not a Hewbrew Bible scholar using German methodology to classify and interpret the textual and archeological evidence. :D

Tiberius

But how do we know that Biblical prophesy wasn't written AFTER the event that was prophecised?

How do we know that, say, a town wasn't destroyed in an earthquake, and someone said, "Oh, a town destroyed in an earthquake, I'll add that into the Bible." Then the guy writes that God said that the town in question would be destroyed, and low and behold, you have a prophecy which he can pass off as, "Hey, you know that town that was destroyed last week? Well, it was prophecised a hundred years ago!"

it's remarkabvly easy to do, y'know.