• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When they ask me, how do I know the Bible is TRUTH

Abram

Abraham
beckysoup61 said:
What? How does 'love' remarks make one LDS? Just curious?
Well beckysoup61 it's because the LDS portray more love then any other religious group out there as a whole.

Abram

Abraham
beckysoup61 said:
And that is bad?
I don't ever remember saying it was bad. In fact I think it would be called good. I have nothing against any religion. It's okay beckysoup I'm not trying to put your faith down, I was complementing it.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Abram said:
I don't ever remember saying it was bad. In fact I think it would be called good. I have nothing against any religion. It's okay beckysoup I'm not trying to put your faith down, I was complementing it.

Sorry, I'm having a bad day.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Abram said:
I like what you wrote and I can see it from your prospective. I love how you improved my Bible explanations (except you denial of Christ being God.) But thats a different subject for a different day. I didn't like you sarcastic quote to make fun of mine. But I understand you were just trying to be funny.

Where you and I see differently, if I understand you correctly is that I feel that if God could create the world and heavens he could deliver a book to us and say exactly what he wants it to. With out the Bible there would be no way for us to know who he was. He reveled himself to us through the Bible and became man to finish his revelation and save the world. You I think you believe that man (being man) and the writers of this book may have misunderstood, not understand the entire being of God. So the book could be at fault. Your right it could be? But for me it proves to change my life and make me a better person in the sight of him. So I belive every word, every comma, every dot was put there by the hand of God for me to learn from.

Are you Christian, LDS, or a JW? I think by all the love remarks your LDS?

I didn't mean to imply that Jesus is not God -- only that Jesus is not Creator. As I said, it's a subtle difference.

God didn't deliver a book to us. Human beings delivered a set of writings about God to us. Yes, God reveals God's self through these writings, because God chooses to do so, but the writings are products of humanity and, therefore, not inerrant. BUT ... God isn't found in the words and letters and punctuation marks. God is found in the message! I'm glad it has changed yhour life. It has changed my life, too. That's why we continue to read the Bible. The Bible hasn't lasted because it's true. It has lasted because it is revelatory.

Actually, I am mainstream protestant.

My quotation wasn't meant in fun. This isn't a laughing matter to me. It was said in all seriousness. Let me exploain. While eating an apple each day is a healthful thing to do, we know that it does not particularly "keep the doctor away." Similarly, while reading the Bible is a good spiritual habit to build, it will not particularly keep us from sinning. As popular and loved and effective as Billy Sunday was, I think it's a rather shallow statement about the spiritual importance and depth of holy scripture.

Abram

Abraham
sojourner said:
I didn't mean to imply that Jesus is not God -- only that Jesus is not Creator. As I said, it's a subtle difference.

God didn't deliver a book to us. Human beings delivered a set of writings about God to us. Yes, God reveals God's self through these writings, because God chooses to do so, but the writings are products of humanity and, therefore, not inerrant. BUT ... God isn't found in the words and letters and punctuation marks. God is found in the message! I'm glad it has changed yhour life. It has changed my life, too. That's why we continue to read the Bible. The Bible hasn't lasted because it's true. It has lasted because it is revelatory.

Actually, I am mainstream protestant.

My quotation wasn't meant in fun. This isn't a laughing matter to me. It was said in all seriousness. Let me exploain. While eating an apple each day is a healthful thing to do, we know that it does not particularly "keep the doctor away." Similarly, while reading the Bible is a good spiritual habit to build, it will not particularly keep us from sinning. As popular and loved and effective as Billy Sunday was, I think it's a rather shallow statement about the spiritual importance and depth of holy scripture.
Okay I like how your coming off here and you seem to write with some knowledge.
Let me ask you, do you think if you read the Bible every day and became strong in the word, do you think you would have a better chance of defeating temptations? Therefore sin less.
Maybe your right, it is the one of the first question I will ask on judgement day. I just saw how Jesus quoted and relied so much on the Old Testament during his ministry here on earth. He was known as the word of God, he can be found throughout the OT. Jesus was the product of the Hebrews and the entire OT. The book all pointed to his very life. Man could have never predicted his arrival, life and death with so much accuracy. The word of God is the words of the Bible then transformed into Jesus.
Matthew 4 Jesus and Satan speak and Jesus is tempted by him. Jesus used the OT as a weapon to drive him away.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Abram said:
Okay I like how your coming off here and you seem to write with some knowledge.
Let me ask you, do you think if you read the Bible every day and became strong in the word, do you think you would have a better chance of defeating temptations? Therefore sin less.
Maybe your right, it is the one of the first question I will ask on judgement day. I just saw how Jesus quoted and relied so much on the Old Testament during his ministry here on earth. He was known as the word of God, he can be found throughout the OT. Jesus was the product of the Hebrews and the entire OT. The book all pointed to his very life. Man could have never predicted his arrival, life and death with so much accuracy. The word of God is the words of the Bible then transformed into Jesus.
Matthew 4 Jesus and Satan speak and Jesus is tempted by him. Jesus used the OT as a weapon to drive him away.

You ask a very good question, but I feel as though it's a little simplistic. I think it depends a lot on how you read the Bible. But...we have to remember that the Bible was not meant to defeat temptation. Not even the crucifixion and resurrection could do that. The point of the gospel isn't that Jesus can save us from temptation. The point is that Jesus has saved us from the consequence of sin.

Reading the Bible can make us more aware of God and how God works in us and through us. Finally, it is the revelation of God through the Bible than can strengthen us against temptation, and not the words of the Bible itself. Words are just words. They have to be internalized and become part of us in order to be effective.

The temptation to sin can be frightening to some folks. We all want to do what's right. Just remember that we please God the most just by being who we are, not by doing what we do.

Abram

Abraham
sojourner said:
You ask a very good question, but I feel as though it's a little simplistic. I think it depends a lot on how you read the Bible. But...we have to remember that the Bible was not meant to defeat temptation. Not even the crucifixion and resurrection could do that. The point of the gospel isn't that Jesus can save us from temptation. The point is that Jesus has saved us from the consequence of sin.

Reading the Bible can make us more aware of God and how God works in us and through us. Finally, it is the revelation of God through the Bible than can strengthen us against temptation, and not the words of the Bible itself. Words are just words. They have to be internalized and become part of us in order to be effective.

The temptation to sin can be frightening to some folks. We all want to do what's right. Just remember that we please God the most just by being who we are, not by doing what we do.
Very impressed by your view and way of explaining it, great insight. Thank you!:clap

Abram

Abraham
Its a God-Book. The Bible says 2500 times "God said... The Lord said...thus said the Lord. I think God makes it very clear He is speaking though this book.

Ori

Angel slayer
Abram said:
Its a God-Book. The Bible says 2500 times "God said... The Lord said...thus said the Lord. I think God makes it very clear He is speaking though this book.

Yes, but which God? :p

Abram

Abraham
Orichalcum said:
Yes, but which God? :p
Lol! You goof ball. Only the creator of the heavens and earth. The word was told through man by the Bible, then again told through man by Christ.

Pah

Uber all member
Abram said:
That is commonly known as a logical fallacy. The Bible can not be termed truth because it says it is. I would suggest you find another standard of truth.

Abram

Abraham
Pah said:
That is commonly known as a logical fallacy. The Bible can not be termed truth because it says it is. I would suggest you find another standard of truth.
Why? So I can go get lost in all the other false truths. If its not broke don't fix it. It can be termed truth because it fulfills its prophecy and promises. I need no more then that.

Pah

Uber all member
Abram said:
Why? So I can go get lost in all the other false truths. If its not broke don't fix it. It can be termed truth because it fulfills its prophecy and promises. I need no more then that.
It forefills it's prophecy by saying it forefilled it's prophecy. The Bible is nothing spiritually without external verification. Would my Bible of the Invisible Pink Unicorn (it's called Stable Writings) prove that the Invisible Pink Unicorn exists because I attributed quotes to her?

ashai

TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
I get alot of people tell me ,how do I know that the writings in the Bible are true.?You know it happened so long ago,what makes you think any of that stuff really happened.Every time I try to explain some scriptures ,they always question there accuracy.I'll tell them that its History that is documented over 2000 years.They still have there excuses.So anymore I just say to them,who was the first President of the United States.And they say George Washington.And I say how do you know that.They say it is written in history books.And I say ,how do we know those writers are telling the truth.You get my point?History is hisory.The BIBLE is History.It did happen.No excuses,It is GOD's Word.Its the Truth.and it is all Inspired by God.

Ushta The Truth will set you free

I am sorry but the analogy you used is flawed ,:eek: it does not work. We have not only eyewitness and the self testimony of Washington himself that he existed but we have the mementos of the very things he owned Some of his clothes, portraits, even his wooden teeth!:D . Then there is the historically recorded fact of the War of Independence, the Constitution, the Continental, Congress, personal correspondence, a mountainous and overwhelming amount factual evidence from many sources , both pro and con and also neutral .

The Bible as the word of God, infallible et all has the testimony of... the Bible!!:eek:

Ushta te
Ashai
The Doctrine of the Most Wiseis to love mankind!
Denkard :dan:

ashai

Orichalcum said:
It didn't happen. No excuses, there is no evidence to support your claim any credence, thus it is false, invalid, hogwash and superstition, to be merely viewed as myth. It didn't happen. No excuses, there is not one shred of evidence, there is no God.

Ushta Orichalcum

Yes and the billions of believers that have a relationship and communion with the creator are
1 ... not evidence because you say so:biglaugh:
2. all hallucinating:biglaugh:

And the evidence for life evolving from inert matter is....:biglaugh:

Oh you atheists! You have more faith than any of us!!:biglaugh:

ashai

TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
We have original artifacts of all the prophets.Including Jesus
:rolleyes:

Where?

The Shroud ? :confused:It cannot be proven to be Jesus
Moses? Where is his staff, or the tablets from Mt Sinai?:confused:

And the rest of Biblical prophets?:confused:

I am all ears! Please sources, photos, et al!

Ushta Te
Ashai

Ushta Te
Ashai

ashai

ashai said:
Ushta Orichalcum

Yes and the billions of believers that have a relationship and communion with the creator are
1 ... not evidence because you say so
2. all hallucinating

And the evidence for life evolving from inert matter is....

Oh you atheists! You have more faith than any of us!!

Ushta orichalcum

Sorry!:( :( I thought you were serious! The :devil: made me do it that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!:D