• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When they ask me, how do I know the Bible is TRUTH

I get alot of people tell me ,how do I know that the writings in the Bible are true.?You know it happened so long ago,what makes you think any of that stuff really happened.Every time I try to explain some scriptures ,they always question there accuracy.I'll tell them that its History that is documented over 2000 years.They still have there excuses.So anymore I just say to them,who was the first President of the United States.And they say George Washington.And I say how do you know that.They say it is written in history books.And I say ,how do we know those writers are telling the truth.You get my point?History is hisory.The BIBLE is History.It did happen.No excuses,It is GOD's Word.Its the Truth.and it is all Inspired by God.

Ori

Angel slayer
It didn't happen. No excuses, there is no evidence to support your claim any credence, thus it is false, invalid, hogwash and superstition, to be merely viewed as myth. It didn't happen. No excuses, there is not one shred of evidence, there is no God.

Orichalcum said:
It didn't happen. No excuses, there is no evidence to support your claim any credence, thus it is false, invalid, hogwash and superstition, to be merely viewed as myth. It didn't happen. No excuses, there is not one shred of evidence, there is no God.

I repect your opinion.But I must say that I think you are totally wrong.But,if thats your belief,I dont think there is anything I can tell you to change your mind.Is There??

jewscout

Religious Zionist
TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
I get alot of people tell me ,how do I know that the writings in the Bible are true.?You know it happened so long ago,what makes you think any of that stuff really happened.Every time I try to explain some scriptures ,they always question there accuracy.I'll tell them that its History that is documented over 2000 years.They still have there excuses.So anymore I just say to them,who was the first President of the United States.And they say George Washington.And I say how do you know that.They say it is written in history books.And I say ,how do we know those writers are telling the truth.You get my point?History is hisory.The BIBLE is History.It did happen.No excuses,It is GOD's Word.Its the Truth.and it is all Inspired by God.

the bible is not history.

if it is history it's some shoddy and poorly done history.

Pah

Uber all member
History can only be judged as truth when it is beyond opinion and where facts, confirmed by other period writings and/or documents are present.

The only measure of truth in the Bible is through personal revelation.

George Washington is a poor example for you to cite. He left behind writings, official documents (like a death certificate, general military orders or presidential proclamations) even has portraits for which he sat. We don't need history books written 30-60 years after his death to know the existence of George Washington - we have originals artifacts.

SoyLeche

meh...
jewscout said:
where are your artifacts for Joshua?
I want to see Haggi's artifact too. I wonder what it could be.... And, how do you prove that it belonged to him.....

The comment that "History is history" is laughable. If there is a discipline that has more divergent theories and viewpoints than the study of history does, I don't know what it is.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Orichalcum said:

There doesn't have to be evidence or support for the believer to believe.

The believer walks by faith...not by sight.

Ody

Lmao, the books of Torah are not supposed to be a history textbook, but a book of greater truths!

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I'll tell them that its History that is documented over 2000 years.They still have there excuses.
In regards to historical places, the Bible has been accurate on many accounts. It has also been proven accurate regarding certain events. The places it has not been proven accurate is in the "myths"and certain questionable morals. And the reason a lot of people don't take religious people seriously is because people seem so eager to believe in the "myths" at face value.

A

angellous_evangellous

I can't imagine people asking you anything about the Bible. It seems to me that you've partially edited someone else's work, perhaps a Bible teacher well-known in Adventist circles who is actually questioned by some people.

may

the bible is a history book , the bible is a book of fullfilled prophecy, and prophecy yet to happen, and it is for our benefit because if we are humble enough to listen to what it tells us, we have a great futureJehovah God’s written Word to humankind. He used some 40 human secretaries over a period of 16 centuries to record it, but God himself actively directed the writing by his spirit. Thus it is inspired by God. A large portion of the record is made up of actual pronouncements made by Jehovah and details as to the teachings and activities of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. In these we find statements of God’s requirements for his servants and what he will do to bring his grand purpose for the earth to completion. To deepen our appreciation for these things, Jehovah also preserved in the Bible a record demonstrating what happens when individuals and nations listen to God and work in harmony with his purpose, as well as the outcome when they go their own way. By means of this reliable historical record Jehovah acquaints us with his dealings with humankind and thus with his own marvelous personality.

Ori

Angel slayer
I repect your opinion.But I must say that I think you are totally wrong.But,if thats your belief,I dont think there is anything I can tell you to change your mind.Is There??

Actually that's not really my opinion, I was just mirroring what you said, albeit in a more sarcastic manner.

See if I wrote the George Bush was the most Christ like person since Christ ;) and someone read this fifty years later, doesn't mean it's true, but then you could also point out that i've mentioned Christ, so where does the truth really begin?

opuntia

Religion is Law
God did not just let the men and women of the Bible write their stories and leave it at that, He allowed certain provisions to be implemented regarding His Scriptures.

First of all, we will begin with Paul the Apostle. He wrote:

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God." (Romans 8:16; KJV).

The Holy Spirit is a testifier, meaning that He will speak to our spirits to let us know if something is true. Paul wrote again:

"Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God." (1 Corinthians 2:12).

We can know of things by observing material things, but things that are spiritual cannot be known by simple observation from earth. If we went to Heaven I suppose we would know without a doubt that Heaven existed. But if that does not happen, then records of people who have written of Heaven is the next best thing, and God Himself will vouch for those who tell the truth.

"Peace I leave with you, my peace, I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27).

Paul wrote:

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7).

Have you heard of the word "ineffable?' It means "incapable of being expressed in words." Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition (2004), p. 638. When Paul says the peace of God "passeth all understanding," he is saying that he cannot explain to you how it feels, it is something you have to experience personally. It is a very personal experience, it is just between you and God. Everybody else has to approach Him one-on-one, tete-a-tete. Read the Parable of the Ten Virgins in Matthew 25:1-13 (pay attention to the oil's significance). Jesus liked to use parables to couch eternal truths within the stories, by studying them you may receive insight from them. He couched truths in parables to prevent those who are not ready for truth, but those who are ready will see the connections within them.

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

"He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

"For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand." (Matthew 13:10-13).

God's truth has the propensity for injuring the unprepared, so being prepared to receive the truth is very crucial. If God came and told you a truth and you did not follow it, you are liable for that open truth.

"For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins." (Hebrews 10:26).

Jesus cannot help you if you sin after receiving a certain truth. Now do not worry about sinning altogether, we all do that according to Paul. "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23).The sin is in that particular truth revealed to you, whatever that might be, and since we do not know what He will reveal to an individual (besides His peace) we cannot say what the sin is.

In times like that, ignorance is indeed bliss.

So listen to Jesus, and count "the cost" of being a disciple (Luke 14:25-35).

Trifle not with the things of God.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
History is hisory.The BIBLE is History.It did happen.No excuses,It is GOD's Word.Its the Truth.and it is all Inspired by God.
History is history. The Odyssey is History. It did happen. No excuses, It is POSEIDON'S Word. It's the truth. And it is all Inspired by Poseidon.

How is what I said any less valid that what you said?