• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Should the Unethical Be Illegal?

QuestioningMind

By 'what can reasonably embarass' I am referring to what would generally embarass the average Joe or Jane.

For instance, it is to be expected, at least in my society, that someone would be embarassed if their nude pictures were posted online against their consent.

What do you think of bullying? Is it alright to intentfully make someone feel embarassed again and again? If not, why not?

I didn't say there was a sexual abuse called mobbing. I asked about sexual abuse and mobbing. Mobbing is when a group bullies an individual. What's wrong with both of those practices, when they don't involve anything physical, in your view?

By 'what can reasonably embarass' I am referring to what would generally embarass the average Joe or Jane.

For instance, it is to be expected, at least in my society, that someone would be embarassed if their nude pictures were posted online against their consent.

Again, embarrassment is so personal I don't think you can come up with what the 'average' person would be embarrassed by. As for nude photos, I again say that everyone has to be willing to accept the consequences of their actions. If you take or allow a picture to be taken of you nude then you must accept the risk that this photo might possibly get posted online. If you're not willing to risk that possible embarrassment then make certain you don't let yourself get photographed nude.

What do you think of bullying? Is it alright to intentfully make someone feel embarassed again and again? If not, why not?

I think bullying is pathetic and is practiced by childish and immature people. I generally don't think it's alright to intentionally embarrass someone again and again... unless of course they deserve to be embarrassed. That said, I still don't think it should be illegal for someone to embarrass someone else by simply speaking the truth. It's a matter of free speech. People are allowed to behave childishly and immature in their speech, as long as they are not speaking untruths.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Again, embarrassment is so personal I don't think you can come up with what the 'average' person would be embarrassed by.

Honestly, I am bemused. Do you mean you can't tell whether someone is likely to feel embarassed by your actions? I don't get how anyone would function socially without this.

As for nude photos, I again say that everyone has to be willing to accept the consequences of their actions. If you take or allow a picture to be taken of you nude then you must accept the risk that this photo might possibly get posted online. If you're not willing to risk that possible embarrassment then make certain you don't let yourself get photographed nude.

Do you mean that if somebody's actions make them vulnerable to others that they should not be able to seek compensation, restitution or punishment? How is this different from the victim blaming that often happens in rape cases? Do you agree with victim blaming?

I think bullying is pathetic and is practiced by childish and immature people. I generally don't think it's alright to intentionally embarrass someone again and again... unless of course they deserve to be embarrassed. That said, I still don't think it should be illegal for someone to embarrass someone else by simply speaking the truth. It's a matter of free speech. People are allowed to behave childishly and immature in their speech, as long as they are not speaking untruths.

Do you mean that it shouldn't be illegal to bully on those cases?

QuestioningMind

Honestly, I am bemused. Do you mean you can't tell whether someone is likely to feel embarassed by your actions? I don't get how anyone would function socially without this.

Do you mean that if somebody's actions make them vulnerable to others that they should not be able to seek compensation, restitution or punishment? How is this different from the victim blaming that often happens in rape cases? Do you agree with victim blaming?

That's certainly not what I said. The question is when does someone being embarrassed rise to the level of significant harm? Sure, most everyone would be embarrassed to have a nude photo shown to others. At the same time, I'd say that MOST people would overcome such embarrassment fairly quickly. It's ridiculous to assume that a jury can somehow determine just how much embarrassment any individual will have to any given situation. It far too subjective and varies too much from one person to the next.

That's far too vague a question. It all depends on what the actions were that made them vulnerable and what precisely the victim is attempting to get compensation for. It all depends on the specific situation. If it's the scenario I mention before where a person allows another person to take a nude photo of them, then yes, the person who allowed the picture to be taken has knowingly taken the risk that this person might show the photo to others. IF having such a photo revealed to others would cause you significant psychological damage then you should never allow such a photo to be taken. Is the person who showed the picture without permission a scumbag who should be socially ostracized for their behavior? Yes, I think they should be. But there is no law against sharing a photo that someone else allowed you to take, so revealing such a photo should not lead to criminal charges.

When someone is 'bullying' by repeating a truth? No. To make it illegal for someone to repeat a truth just because it embarrasses someone violates free speech laws. If there was such a law politicians and people in the public eye would constantly be suing newspapers for printing truths about them that they find embarrassing. You could prevent newspapers from printing virtually any truth by simply claiming that revealing that truth causes you intense embarrassment.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

That's certainly not what I said. The question is when does someone being embarrassed rise to the level of significant harm? Sure, most everyone would be embarrassed to have a nude photo shown to others. At the same time, I'd say that MOST people would overcome such embarrassment fairly quickly. It's ridiculous to assume that a jury can somehow determine just how much embarrassment any individual will have to any given situation. It far too subjective and varies too much from one person to the next.

I have no idea why you have come to the conclusion that most people would overcome such embarassment fairly quickly. If it was simple like that, don't you think there wouldn't exist laws against publishing someone else's nude photos without their consent? Why do such laws exist essentially everywhere if it is not a big deal?

That's far too vague a question. It all depends on what the actions were that made them vulnerable and what precisely the victim is attempting to get compensation for. It all depends on the specific situation. If it's the scenario I mention before where a person allows another person to take a nude photo of them, then yes, the person who allowed the picture to be taken has knowingly taken the risk that this person might show the photo to others. IF having such a photo revealed to others would cause you significant psychological damage then you should never allow such a photo to be taken. Is the person who showed the picture without permission a scumbag who should be socially ostracized for their behavior? Yes, I think they should be. But there is no law against sharing a photo that someone else allowed you to take, so revealing such a photo should not lead to criminal charges.

How does engaging in risky behavior excuses, legally, the other person from what he/she has done? So, do you think that if I knowingly walk into a mafia meeting and end up killed, whoever killed me shouldn't be prosecuted? Why?

When someone is 'bullying' by repeating a truth? No. To make it illegal for someone to repeat a truth just because it embarrasses someone violates free speech laws. If there was such a law politicians and people in the public eye would constantly be suing newspapers for printing truths about them that they find embarrassing. You could prevent newspapers from printing virtually any truth by simply claiming that revealing that truth causes you intense embarrassment.

There is telling the truth said to inform people, which might embarass someone, and then there is the truth said to embarass someone just for the laughs.

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

I have no idea why you have come to the conclusion that most people would overcome such embarassment fairly quickly. If it was simple like that, don't you think there wouldn't exist laws against publishing someone else's nude photos without their consent? Why do such laws exist essentially everywhere if it is not a big deal?

How does engaging in risky behavior excuses, legally, the other person from what he/she has done? So, do you think that if I knowingly walk into a mafia meeting and end up killed, whoever killed me shouldn't be prosecuted? Why?

There is telling the truth said to inform people, which make happen to embarass someone, and then there is the truth said to embarass someone just for the laughs.

]I have no idea why you have come to the conclusion that most people would overcome such embarassment fairly quickly. If it was simple like that, don't you think there wouldn't exist laws against publishing someone else's nude photos without their consent? Why do such laws exist essentially everywhere if it is not a big deal?

This simply emphasizes how difficult it would be to try and have a jury determine just how psychologically damaging being embarrassed is for any given individual. EVERYONE has experienced embarrassment at one time or another. How often does that embarrassment lead to genuine psychological issues? MOST people I believe might feel continued embarrassment every time they thought about the fact that someone they hadn't intended to saw their nude photo... but only a small minority would be so effected by the embarrassment that it would have serious negative effects on their life.

And yes, there are laws against publishing a persons picture without their consent... but they only apply in certain circumstances. For instance, if I take your picture while you're in public and attempt to sell that photo to a magazine for profit, I would legally have to have your consent to do so. However, if I take a picture in public and you happen to be in the picture and then I post the photo to Facebook, I do NOT need your permission. Even if the photo is a nude... if for instance you allow me to take and keep a nude photo of you... I can legally post that photo online, as long as I am not attempting to profit from it.

It's excused legally if it isn't against the law. So if I knowingly go into a Mafia meeting and someone murders me, OF COURSE they should be prosecuted for having committed the crime of murder. HOWEVER, if I knowingly walk into a Mafia meeting and the people in the meeting yell at me and scare me really bad, I can't take them to court for having scared me... simply scaring someone is not against the law. And it could certainly be argued that I'm responsible for having been scared by knowingly walking into a Mafia meeting that I wasn't invited to. If I knew that such a scare would have serious psychological damages to me then I should NOT have knowing walked into that meeting.

Thus, since it is not illegal for someone who you gave a nude photo to to then post it online, if you don't want to be embarrassed by having your photo posted, do NOT give nude photos to anyone.

There is telling the truth said to inform people, which make happen to embarass someone, and then there is the truth said to embarass someone just for the laughs.

And who gets to decide if something was done to inform people or just for laughs? If you ended up posting something that you thought was interesting/funny/important/exciting etc.. and think others might think so too, but the subject of the posting claims you only did it 'for the laughs', how would you go about defending yourself in court?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
]I have no idea why you have come to the conclusion that most people would overcome such embarassment fairly quickly. If it was simple like that, don't you think there wouldn't exist laws against publishing someone else's nude photos without their consent? Why do such laws exist essentially everywhere if it is not a big deal?

This simply emphasizes how difficult it would be to try and have a jury determine just how psychologically damaging being embarrassed is for any given individual. EVERYONE has experienced embarrassment at one time or another. How often does that embarrassment lead to genuine psychological issues? MOST people I believe might feel continued embarrassment every time they thought about the fact that someone they hadn't intended to saw their nude photo... but only a small minority would be so effected by the embarrassment that it would have serious negative effects on their life.

I take it you mean by 'serious negative effects' something like being unable to work due to the trauma the experience caused, right?

Ok. Let me put it this way: Even a physological bruise is sufficient to justify some sort of payment or punishment. I am not saying that the harm must be as big as a broken arm.

And yes, there are laws against publishing a persons picture without their consent... but they only apply in certain circumstances. For instance, if I take your picture while you're in public and attempt to sell that photo to a magazine for profit, I would legally have to have your consent to do so. However, if I take a picture in public and you happen to be in the picture and then I post the photo to Facebook, I do NOT need your permission. Even if the photo is a nude... if for instance you allow me to take and keep a nude photo of you... I can legally post that photo online, as long as I am not attempting to profit from it.

I am intrigued because the laws I know don't make an exception for that. What law are you referring to, just out of curiosity?

It's excused legally if it isn't against the law. So if I knowingly go into a Mafia meeting and someone murders me, OF COURSE they should be prosecuted for having committed the crime of murder. HOWEVER, if I knowingly walk into a Mafia meeting and the people in the meeting yell at me and scare me really bad, I can't take them to court for having scared me... simply scaring someone is not against the law. And it could certainly be argued that I'm responsible for having been scared by knowingly walking into a Mafia meeting that I wasn't invited to. If I knew that such a scare would have serious psychological damages to me then I should NOT have knowing walked into that meeting.

Thus, since it is not illegal for someone who you gave a nude photo to to then post it online, if you don't want to be embarrassed by having your photo posted, do NOT give nude photos to anyone.

Do you mean that as long as there is a law that specifically addresses a given situation you are fine with it? Honestly, I don't mind. I doubt the legislators would be bothered though so we have to make do with more generic laws.

And who gets to decide if something was done to inform people or just for laughs? If you ended up posting something that you thought was interesting/funny/important/exciting etc.. and think others might think so too, but the subject of the posting claims you only did it 'for the laughs', how would you go about defending yourself in court?

In Brazil, our constitution grants us a lot of rights and they often clash. We have a right to our image, meaning, for example, that people can't demean us. At the same time, we also have freedom of press. And as you know, the press will often say true things about people that end up tarnishing someone's image.

So when rights clash, we employ multiple techniques to figure out how to proceed. For instance, we ask whether it is possible to find a work-around where both rights remain intact. It just so happens that it is impossible to properly show the news if the news can't tarnish anyone's image.

In your example, if the pic was intended and necessary to properly inform people it gets a free pass. But if it was not, you would need to evoke another constitutional right to justify it. And no, freedom of speech by itself doesn't count. Because if it did, it would render the right to image and honor completely void...always.

Just to simplify matter: what you are worried about is a fairly typical matter dealt by our courts here.

QuestioningMind

I take it you mean by 'serious negative effects' something like being unable to work due to the trauma the experience caused, right?

Ok. Let me put it this way: Even a physological bruise is sufficient to justify some sort of payment or punishment. I am not saying that the harm must be as big as a broken arm.

I am intrigued because the laws I know don't make an exception for that. What law are you referring to, just out of curiosity?

Do you mean that as long as there is a law that specifically addresses a given situation you are fine with it? Honestly, I don't mind. I doubt the legislators would be bothered though so we have to make do with more generic laws.

In Brazil, our constitution grants us a lot of rights and they often clash. We have a right to our image, meaning, for example, that people can't demean us. At the same time, we also have freedom of press. And as you know, the press will often say true things about people that end up tarnishing someone's image.

So when rights clash, we employ multiple techniques to figure out how to proceed. For instance, we ask whether it is possible to find a work-around where both rights remain intact. It just so happens that it is impossible to properly show the news if the news can't tarnish anyone's image.

In your example, if the pic was intended and necessary to properly inform people it gets a free pass. But if it was not, you would need to evoke another constitutional right to justify it. And no, freedom of speech by itself doesn't count. Because if it did, it would render the right to image and honor completely void...always.

Just to simplify matter: what you are worried about is a fairly typical matter dealt by our courts here.

How are you defining a 'bruise'? When it comes to a physical assault you can actually see the bruises that the assault caused. How do you determine if someone was genuinely 'bruised' psychologically? How do you determine that the 'bruise' caused by someone's comment is any worse than what that person would feel if they embarrassed themselves by tripping on a sidewalk curb in front of other people? Is being embarrassed the same as you'd be embarrassed by tripping on a curb sufficient embarrassment that you should be able to sue over it? If YOU wouldn't be 'bruised' by a certain type of embarrassment does that mean that no one else could feel 'bruised' by that exact same type of embarrassment? Does someone who has a VERY low threshold for embarrassment get to sue for things that someone who doesn't have such a low threshold for embarrassment couldn't sue for?

There is no law against it here, so there's no law for me to cite. What law do you have that makes it illegal?

It's the same here. Here we give considerable weight to the right to free speech. In order for someone's right to free speech to be impeded requires a significant harm from that free speech. The instances where that's so are when you say something that simply isn't true. IF what you are saying is true, there are very few if any instances in which your right to say it would be impeded. Just because some people find what I say to be rude doesn't matter. Just because some people might find what I say to be disgusting doesn't matter. Just because some people might be embarrassed by what I say doesn't matter. Your right to not encounter rude people or disgusting people or people who embarrass you is not more important than another person's right to free speech.

I don't know what you mean by this. All I said was that of course a person who commits murder should be arrested, because committing murder is a crime. However, someone yelling at me and scaring me is not a crime, so obviously no one should be arrested in such a case.

Really? So the original example you gave in which I mention that your spouse is cheating on you in front of others and it embarrasses you is against the law? Please share with me what specific law was violated in this case.

And you didn't answer the question I asked before. If you were to say something that you thought others might find informative and you get sued because your statement embarrassed someone, how would you prove that you were just trying to be informative and weren't just 'doing it for a laugh'?

Koldo

Outstanding Member

How are you defining a 'bruise'? When it comes to a physical assault you can actually see the bruises that the assault caused. How do you determine if someone was genuinely 'bruised' psychologically? How do you determine that the 'bruise' caused by someone's comment is any worse than what that person would feel if they embarrassed themselves by tripping on a sidewalk curb in front of other people? Is being embarrassed the same as you'd be embarrassed by tripping on a curb sufficient embarrassment that you should be able to sue over it? If YOU wouldn't be 'bruised' by a certain type of embarrassment does that mean that no one else could feel 'bruised' by that exact same type of embarrassment? Does someone who has a VERY low threshold for embarrassment get to sue for things that someone who doesn't have such a low threshold for embarrassment couldn't sue for?

You figure out whether someone was genuinely psychologically bruised by the action and by its consequences.

If someone is missing for days and footage is found of somebody shooting him in the head, do we eventually presume that this person died? Yes. Why? Because it is reasonable to assume that someone under those circumstances would be dead. It is reasonable to presume that certain actions lead to certain consequences.

The second factor to consider here is whether the impact can be measured through experts, witnesses and so on. How did the victim react after the event?

Take both into consideration and then evaluate whether any compensation is due.

There is no law against it here, so there's no law for me to cite. What law do you have that makes it illegal?

Brazilian's penal code. Article 218-C, for example.

"Offer, exchange, make available, transmit, sell or exhibit for sale, distribute, publish or disclose, by any means - including through mass communication or a computer or telematics system -, photography, video or other audiovisual record containing a scene of rape or rape of vulnerable or who condone or induce their practice, or, without the consent of the victim, sex scene, nudity or pornography"

It forbids publishing rape videos on all cases, and sex scenes, nudity and pornography when done without consent.

It's the same here. Here we give considerable weight to the right to free speech. In order for someone's right to free speech to be impeded requires a significant harm from that free speech. The instances where that's so are when you say something that simply isn't true. IF what you are saying is true, there are very few if any instances in which your right to say it would be impeded. Just because some people find what I say to be rude doesn't matter. Just because some people might find what I say to be disgusting doesn't matter. Just because some people might be embarrassed by what I say doesn't matter. Your right to not encounter rude people or disgusting people or people who embarrass you is not more important than another person's right to free speech.

Does it matter if you damage someone's image and honor though?

I don't know what you mean by this. All I said was that of course a person who commits murder should be arrested, because committing murder is a crime. However, someone yelling at me and scaring me is not a crime, so obviously no one should be arrested in such a case.

Sure. I was asking you if, for example, it became a crime to yell at others you would be fine with people being arrested because of that.

Really? So the original example you gave in which I mention that your spouse is cheating on you in front of others and it embarrasses you is against the law? Please share with me what specific law was violated in this case.

Depending on the circumstances, it can be considered defamation in Brazilian's penal code, article 139.

"Defame someone, imputing an offensive fact to their reputation"

Just to make it clear: saying the truth doesn't excuse defamation.

And you didn't answer the question I asked before. If you were to say something that you thought others might find informative and you get sued because your statement embarrassed someone, how would you prove that you were just trying to be informative and weren't just 'doing it for a laugh'?

It is up to the one that accuses the other of doing something wrong to prove it. Plus, in case of reasonable doubt the verdict will be not guilty.

The proof here though is centered around the surrounding circumstances and the way the statement was phrased and uttered. If you are a jornalist saying that someone is suspect of commiting a given crime, you are merely relaying information. If however, you decide to spread around that MR. X has the smallest stick you have ever seen, even if it is true, your intent is clearly to make him lose face.

QuestioningMind

You figure out whether someone was genuinely psychologically bruised by the action and by its consequences.

If someone is missing for days and footage is found of somebody shooting him in the head, do we eventually presume that this person died? Yes. Why? Because it is reasonable to assume that someone under those circumstances would be dead. It is reasonable to presume that certain actions lead to certain consequences.

The second factor to consider here is whether the impact can be measured through experts, witnesses and so on. How did the victim react after the event?

"Offer, exchange, make available, transmit, sell or exhibit for sale, distribute, publish or disclose, by any means - including through mass communication or a computer or telematics system -, photography, video or other audiovisual record containing a scene of rape or rape of vulnerable or who condone or induce their practice, or, without the consent of the victim, sex scene, nudity or pornography"

It forbids publishing rape videos on all cases, and sex scenes, nudity and pornography when done without consent.

Sure. I was asking you if, for example, it became a crime to yell at others you would be fine with people being arrested because of that.

Depending on the circumstances, it can be considered defamation in Brazilian's penal code, article 139.

It is up to the one that accuses the other of doing something wrong to prove it. Plus, in case of reasonable doubt the verdict will be not guilty.

The proof here though is centered around the surrounding circumstances and the way the statement was phrased and uttered. If you are a jornalist saying that someone is suspect of commiting a given crime, you are merely relaying information. If however, you decide to spread around that MR. X has the smallest stick you have ever seen, even if it is true, your intent is clearly to make him lose face.

You didn't answer my other questions. Would someone who has a very low threshold for embarrassment be able to sue me for something I said that I couldn't be sued for by someone who has a higher threshold for embarrassment? That is to say could the exact same words coming out my mouth be legal if I say it to person A but illegal if I say it to person B?

Here's another scenario. I have a very low threshold for embarrassment and when I'm walking I almost trip and fall. Someone sees it and laughs. Because of my very delicate nature I can show in court that my behavior changed in a negative way due to hearing that laughter. Can I sue the person who laughed, just because they happened to find the sight of me flailing my arms trying not to fall amusing?

Is this only about publishing such images for profit? Would it still be illegal if the photos were simply shown to someone else? 'Publishing' usually suggest for profit.. and if that's the case. the same laws apply here. But there's a difference between publishing something for profit online and simply posting something online.

Only if you did such damage by telling untruths. I should not be held legally responsible if some truth happens to damage another person's image or honor.

If a law were to be passed where it becomes illegal for a person to yell at another person who comes into a meeting uninvited I would be 100% against it. What did I write that made you think I might support such a law?

Okay, you're going to have to provide your definition of defamation then. Because the accepted definition is this:

Defamation is defined as the act of ruining someone's reputation through slander or libel. An example of defamation is spreading lies about a public figure that destroys his career. "Defamation." YourDictionary.

If by definition it's about spreading lies, how can the truth be considered defamation?

You're basically talking about making it illegal for anyone to voice a negative truth about anyone else. You're saying that if a woman who dated and broke up with Mr. X is out with several of her girlfriends and she says" "Not only was he a lousy boyfriend, but he had the smallest stick I've ever seen." she could be successfully sued by Mr. X. She spread around to several of her girlfriends a truth about Mr. X that was clearly intended to make him look bad.

Sorry, but that sounds very scary to me and like a serious infringement on free speech.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member

You didn't answer my other questions. Would someone who has a very low threshold for embarrassment be able to sue me for something I said that I couldn't be sued for by someone who has a higher threshold for embarrassment? That is to say could the exact same words coming out my mouth be legal if I say it to person A but illegal if I say it to person B?

Here's another scenario. I have a very low threshold for embarrassment and when I'm walking I almost trip and fall. Someone sees it and laughs. Because of my very delicate nature I can show in court that my behavior changed in a negative way due to hearing that laughter. Can I sue the person who laughed, just because they happened to find the sight of me flailing my arms trying not to fall amusing?

Only if you were aware that your words would hurt person B. It is no different from offering a dish with corn to someone. There is nothing wrong with it, unless you know that person is allergic to corn.

Regarding laughing: If you are laughing in an instant reaction, you have done nothing wrong. You can't possibly control what you find funny.

Is this only about publishing such images for profit? Would it still be illegal if the photos were simply shown to someone else? 'Publishing' usually suggest for profit.. and if that's the case. the same laws apply here. But there's a difference between publishing something for profit online and simply posting something online.

Merely posting it online without consent is already against the law.

Only if you did such damage by telling untruths. I should not be held legally responsible if some truth happens to damage another person's image or honor.

If a law were to be passed where it becomes illegal for a person to yell at another person who comes into a meeting uninvited I would be 100% against it. What did I write that made you think I might support such a law?

You have said: "But there is no law against sharing a photo that someone else allowed you to take, so revealing such a photo should not lead to criminal charges."

Didn't you mean that as long as there is a law prohibiting some sort of behavior you are fine with it leading to criminal charges? If not, why did you mention that?

Okay, you're going to have to provide your definition of defamation then. Because the accepted definition is this:

Defamation is defined as the act of ruining someone's reputation through slander or libel. An example of defamation is spreading lies about a public figure that destroys his career. "Defamation." YourDictionary.

If by definition it's about spreading lies, how can the truth be considered defamation?

It is always tricky to translate things because often enough something might be off.

The answer is: Because what matters in Brazil is not if you are spreading lies. What matters is the consequence of what you say, particularly if you intended those consequences.

Defamation, the crime, happens when someone intentionally tarnishes someone else's honor, as in the reputation. When it is not intentional, it is not a crime, but payment may still be due.

You're basically talking about making it illegal for anyone to voice a negative truth about anyone else. You're saying that if a woman who dated and broke up with Mr. X is out with several of her girlfriends and she says" "Not only was he a lousy boyfriend, but he had the smallest stick I've ever seen." she could be successfully sued by Mr. X. She spread around to several of her girlfriends a truth about Mr. X that was clearly intended to make him look bad.

Sorry, but that sounds very scary to me and like a serious infringement on free speech.

Just to clarify: your example is a crime in Brazil.
I agree with the law here except that I don't think it should be a criminal offense per se, as it is in Brazil. It should be a civil matter.

It is not scary at all. You really need to go out of your way to break that law. It is similar to the very first rule on this forum. Plus, unlike other crimes, the victim needs to seek your punishment for you to be judged. If the victim can't be bothered nothing happens.

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

Only if you were aware that your words would hurt person B. It is no different from offering a dish with corn to someone. There is nothing wrong with it, unless you know that person is allergic to corn.

Regarding laughing: If you are laughing in an instant reaction, you have done nothing wrong. You can't possibly control what you find funny.

Merely posting it online without consent is already against the law.

You have said: "But there is no law against sharing a photo that someone else allowed you to take, so revealing such a photo should not lead to criminal charges."

Didn't you mean that as long as there is a law prohibiting some sort of behavior you are fine with it leading to criminal charges? If not, why did you mention that?

It is always tricky to translate things because often enough something might be off.

The answer is: Because what matters in Brazil is not if you are spreading lies. What matters is the consequence of what you say, particularly if you intended those consequences.

Defamation, the crime, happens when someone intentionally tarnishes someone else's honor, as in the reputation. When it is not intentional, it is not a crime, but payment may still be due.

I agree with the law here except that I don't think it should be a criminal offense per se, as it is in Brazil. It should be a civil matter.

It is not scary at all. You really need to go out of your way to break that law. It is similar to the very first rule on this forum. Plus, unlike other crimes, the victim needs to seek your punishment for you to be judged. If the victim can't be bothered nothing happens.

Then I'm glad I don't live in Brazil, if in fact you can get sued for simply voicing a true opinion.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Then I'm glad I don't live in Brazil, if in fact you can get sued for simply voicing a true opinion.

It is not really much different from this forum.
To post on this forum we need to refrain from offending others, no matter if we think we have a true opinion.
If you offend people you get some sort of punishment.
Since you are, out of your volition, making use of this forum where such a rule is enforced, I don't get why you would mind a law like this.

QuestioningMind

It is not really much different from this forum.
To post on this forum we need to refrain from offending others, no matter if we think we have a true opinion.
If you offend people you get some sort of punishment.
Since you are, out of your volition, making use of this forum where such a rule is enforced, I don't get why you would mind a law like this.

I think that incidents like this should be handled the way it's done on this forum. No one gets fined for behaving in an offensive manner on this forum, they get ostracized by the community. That's the way most offensive behavior should be handled. If the behavior is offensive to enough people then hopefully enough people will frown upon it to get the offender to change. If not... too bad. There's no law against being an offensive a-hole and there shouldn't be, because everyone has a different opinion about what is or is not offensive.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I think that incidents like this should be handled the way it's done on this forum. No one gets fined for behaving in an offensive manner on this forum, they get ostracized by the community. That's the way most offensive behavior should be handled. If the behavior is offensive to enough people then hopefully enough people will frown upon it to get the offender to change. If not... too bad. There's no law against being an offensive a-hole and there shouldn't be, because everyone has a different opinion about what is or is not offensive.

No one gets fined, but you can get banned if you are offensive on this forum (and many many others).
People are not merely ostracized by the community. Considering you are a regular on this forum, I don't get why you wouldn't be fine with people being punished for the very same behavior in other circles.

QuestioningMind

No one gets fined, but you can get banned if you are offensive on this forum (and many many others).
People are not merely ostracized by the community. Considering you are a regular on this forum, I don't get why you wouldn't be fine with people being punished for the very same behavior in other circles.

You're not listening. I'm perfectly fine with them being punished by being socially ostracized. There are plenty of behaviors that we frown upon socially, but are not classified as crimes you could be arrested for or sued for. In my opinion speaking a truth about someone just to make them feel bad is one such behavior. It can be a childish and immature thing to do, but we can deal with it the same way we do with people who insist on speaking loudly on their cell phone on a crowed bus or who fail to bathe on a regular basis.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You're not listening. I'm perfectly fine with them being punished by being socially ostracized. There are plenty of behaviors that we frown upon socially, but are not classified as crimes you could be arrested for or sued for. In my opinion speaking a truth about someone just to make them feel bad is one such behavior. It can be a childish and immature thing to do, but we can deal with it the same way we do with people who insist on speaking loudly on their cell phone on a crowed bus or who fail to bathe on a regular basis.

I took you meant 'social ostracism' as merely avoiding and staying away from people.
But it looks like you are including expelling/banning people from groups on this (even if not done democratically). Why do you think that it is perfectly alright to punish people with that but not in some other form? What is your rationale?

QuestioningMind

I took you meant 'social ostracism' as merely avoiding and staying away from people.
But it looks like you are including expelling/banning people from groups on this (even if not done democratically). Why do you think that it is perfectly alright to punish people with that but not in some other form? What is your rationale?

No, that's not what I said. I didn't make any comments about a site like this banning people and in fact I don't see that it serves any purpose. The punishment for rude behavior should simply be getting ignored or socially frowned upon by those who find you to be rude. That's the cost of free speech... sometimes you get exposed to ideas that you find offensive. The answer isn't to ban everything you find offensive, but to simply ignore that which you find offensive or call the person out for being offensive.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No, that's not what I said. I didn't make any comments about a site like this banning people and in fact I don't see that it serves any purpose. The punishment for rude behavior should simply be getting ignored or socially frowned upon by those who find you to be rude. That's the cost of free speech... sometimes you get exposed to ideas that you find offensive. The answer isn't to ban everything you find offensive, but to simply ignore that which you find offensive or call the person out for being offensive.

Then you didn't address what I have said before: You are, out of your volition, making use of this forum where such a rule (which includes banning people) is enforced. This entails you don't actually mind much about such a rule, because otherwise you wouldn't be here. That would be contradictory.
If it is a big deal to someone else and not a big deal to you, it is only natural to act in accordance with what the other person wants.