• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Should the Unethical Be Illegal?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Cheating on your spouse can be considered immoral...but the law cannot and must not condiders it illegal.
This is exactly where my mind went; only the opposite. I am still shocked that adultery is legal. It makes me wonder what the point of marriage is.

HonestJoe

Under what circumstances should things that are unethical also be illegal?
When they're also potentially harmful. Ethics is about what you choose to do. The law is about what you're required to do. There is obviously crossover but they're still fundamentally separate concepts.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Because marriage is a contract.
So therefore, there can be civil responsibility of the unfaithful spouse, but no penal responsibility of two adulterers.

Civil and penal responsibility are two different things.

Also because we live in secular states...at least in the West.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
When they're also potentially harmful. Ethics is about what you choose to do. The law is about what you're required to do. There is obviously crossover but they're still fundamentally separate concepts.

I tend to agree, although with the caveat that the law often dictates what's allowed, not what's required.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Because marriage is a contract.
So therefore, there can be civil responsibility of the unfaithful spouse, but no penal responsibility of two adulterers.

Civil and penal responsibility are two different things.

Also because we live in secular states...at least in the West.

Sure. But I was thinking of legality as including civil liability.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This is exactly where my mind went; only the opposite. I am still shocked that adultery is legal. It makes me wonder what the point of marriage is.
Legally, it's the state recognising a relationship between two people who chose it. If they choose to dissolve it, that's also their prerogative.
But keep your filthy political nose out of my business unless I invite you.
Tom

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
It would be nice if you told us what you mean by unethical, giving an example. :)

I wanted to leave it open-ended, since I know people use different ethical systems.

An example of an act I think is unethical and should be illegal is murder.

An example of an act I think is unethical but shouldn't be illegal is a lie (other than under oath, etc.).

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I disagree completely.

I consider elective abortions unethical. Do you think my opinion should be legally enforced? Should the government have the right and duty to investigate miscarriages?
Tom

First we would need to vote on what counts as unethical, and then proceed to figure out not only the proper sanctions but also if it is viable to employ said laws and what is the ideal method.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Legally, it's the state recognising a relationship between two people who chose it. If they choose to dissolve it, that's also their prerogative.
But keep your filthy political nose out of my business unless I invite you.
Tom
But if they're legally allowed to break the contract whenever they want, what's the point of the contract? Just get rid of marriage in that case.