• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is it permissible to divorce?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When is it permissible to divorce? Are your views of when it is permissible based on your religion?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
When is it permissible to divorce? Are your views of when it is permissible based on your religion?

My views are not religiously inspired.

The question of divorce is never an easy question. When is it better to stay together and attempt to work things out rather than give up?

Certainly, if there is abuse, divorce is legitimate (and usually preferred). Unfortunately, this isn't as rare as we might like.

But beyond that, people grow apart. Goals change. Communication can fail. And it can become clear that one or both people involved are unhappy and also unwilling to do the work to get back to happiness. It may simply not be worth it given the changed perspectives of those involved.

Full disclosure: I have been divorced twice. Both of my ex's have gone on to relationships where they are happier, as have I. I am still friends with my second wife and have no bad feelings toward my first one. But what we wanted out of life changed enough that the relationships, as marriages, were no longer viable.

Now, if anything, I see my second wife as more of a sister than anything else. As she likes to say, we divorced because we love each other.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My views are not religiously inspired.

The question of divorce is never an easy question. When is it better to stay together and attempt to work things out rather than give up?

Certainly, if there is abuse, divorce is legitimate (and usually preferred). Unfortunately, this isn't as rare as we might like.

But beyond that, people grow apart. Goals change. Communication can fail. And it can become clear that one or both people involved are unhappy and also unwilling to do the work to get back to happiness. It may simply not be worth it given the changed perspectives of those involved.

Full disclosure: I have been divorced twice. Both of my ex's have gone on to relationships where they are happier, as have I. I am still friends with my second wife and have no bad feelings toward my first one. But what we wanted out of life changed enough that the relationships, as marriages, we no longer viable.

Now, if anything, I see my second wife as more of a sister than anything else. As she likes to say, we divorced because we love each other.

Your post strikes me as extraordinarily wise, Polymath. Maybe you should tone it down a bit. I mean, this is RF. We don't do wisdom here. :D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When is it permissible to divorce?

As one who is better versed than most on the subject based on experience, it's permissible, in my opinion, to get a divorce when the relationship deteriorates to a level where it causes harm to either party or to their offspring.

Are your views of when it is permissible based on your religion?

My views are based on my moral values, not the dogma or ideals of any religion.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As one who is better versed than most on the subject based on experience, it's permissible, in my opinion, to get a divorce when the relationship deteriorates to a level where it causes harm to either party or to their offspring.

Well stated.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

In Christianity it is permissible to divorce if you have evidence of infidelity. Or if one partner is abusive to you or the children.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Divorce is always permissible.
Advisability is a different question, but
the decision is up to the individual wanting it.
I wonder why nobody ever asks the corollary question: "when is it permissible to force people who despise one another to stay together and pretend to love each other?"

After all, even if it's "for the children," those wee bairns can feel the conflict from an early age -- and they are harmed by it! Why would it be right to insist on that?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder why nobody ever asks the corollary question: "when is it permissible to force people who despise one another to stay together and pretend to love each other?"

After all, even if it's "for the children," those wee bairns can feel the conflict from an early age -- and they are harmed by it! Why would it be right to insist on that?
Aye, the parents might not always make the best decisions,
but no one else should be doing it for them. Kids benefit
from parents doing what the need to do.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Aye, the parents might not always make the best decisions,
but no one else should be doing it for them. Kids benefit
from parents doing what the need to do.
And you say that to a battered child who spent years in institutions to recover and learn to forgive -- taken away from those very parents who tried, in their mutual hatred, to kill him? You think, then, it would have been better for them to have stayed together and me to have remained with them -- and died?

Nice.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And you say that to a battered child who spent years in institutions to recover and learn to forgive -- taken away from those very parents who tried, in their mutual hatred, to kill him? You think, then, it would have been better for them to have stayed together and me to have remained with them -- and died?

Nice.
Perhaps I was unclear, or I misunderstand your post, but here it goes an answer....
I favor parents divorcing (or not) if they feel the need.
Staying together when the marriage is dead or dangerous is bad for kids.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Perhaps I was unclear, or I misunderstand your post, but here it goes an answer....
I favor parents divorcing (or not) if they feel the need.
Staying together when the marriage is dead or dangerous is bad for kids.
Thank you. We are agreed. Perhaps I misread your post, or you left something out, or both, but I think we've cleared that up.

Onyx

Premium Member
If one chooses to get officially married, divorce should always be an option. How it is done is another story with all the legal wranglings that can ensue and effects those battles have on children. I'm actually a proponent of non-marriage, and separate bank accounts. :D