• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When evangelists knock on your door...

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
How many people in the western world have not heard of Jesus? Given how many people mock JWs and Mormons and other evangelicals, don't you think people are a bit tired of it being overdone?
Reminds me of a Buddhist anecdote: "Monk sees scorpion drowning in river ... gets in ... picks up the scorpion .. gets stung ... drops ... ad infinitum".
You can't blame a scorpion for it's instinct. But humans can decide to learn from mistakes. Some do, some don't.

Last edited:

stvdv

So far I have not come across anyone from JW who tries to contradict me when we discuss. because when they ask me, can we talk with you about God, I always say yes, of course, you can come in. or if it is on the street I stop and we can talk even for an hour. Because if they quote something from their bible, I look a the Buddhist texts and see if what they say contradicts Buddhism, or if it is similar in thoughts. then when I have told them that I do follow Buddhism, and ask if it's ok we look at both religions in comparison, they smile and say yes we can. sometimes if I meet them on the street we go to a local cafè and take a chat there.

Its all about sharing and learning from each others
I have also done this. They visited me 15 times at home. 14 times they managed to be respectful towards my religion. Last time they could not control

stvdv

I invite them in and say, lets talk about the Bible. I have met some fine people this way, I have learned much about what JWś believe. I have had a chance to exercise my faith and defend it, which is all good for me.

They are rare Christians, in that they take the great commission very seriously.
The biggest lesson I learned from Jehovah Witnesses is "to go 100% for what I believe in"
So whenever I get lazy, I better invite some Jehovah Witnesses to inspire me to be more enthusiastic

stvdv

I believe you ought to know what Jesus said: "there is no-one good", but God" Of course Jesus was called "good" so you know what that means.

That would be a good point if he was being called good by God but God didn't say it. Someone in the crowd said it. God said this is my son listen to him.

Even Jesus said "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone"

Mark 10:18 - Bible Gateway
17As Jesus started on His way, a man ran up and knelt before Him. “Good Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone.

Rational Agnostic

What do you say when members of a religious group (such as the Jehovah’s Witnesses) knock on your door, evangelising?

I currently politely say “sorry, I already have a religion” and leave it as that

But the next time it happens I think I’m going to say something outrageous such as “I don’t need religion, I have a direct line to God” (don’t worry, I don’t believe I have a direct line to God!) or make up a religion and tell them I belong to that

I have encountered street evangelists more than door-to-door evangelists. I used to discuss/argue with them but now I just turn my nose up at them, walk right past and ignore them, even when they reach out to try to shake my hand or hand me something. One might say I've become a pompous a$$, however, ever since a "monk" who I engaged with in conversation ended up asking me for money and then chasing me through a college library, I want nothing to do with any of them.:rolleyes:

stvdv

We may find their method annoying but they are just doing what all Christians are asked to do, 'go forth and spread the Gospel'.

Just imagine if all Christian denominations had the zeal that they do.
There would not only be JW in my house and I would need lots of coffee, and all denominations had to listen to each other. They could all learn a lot

Scott C.

Just one guy
What do you say when members of a religious group (such as the Jehovah’s Witnesses) knock on your door, evangelising?

I currently politely say “sorry, I already have a religion” and leave it as that

But the next time it happens I think I’m going to say something outrageous such as “I don’t need religion, I have a direct line to God” (don’t worry, I don’t believe I have a direct line to God!) or make up a religion and tell them I belong to that

I haven't had many bad experiences with unexpected people at the door. I'm a fan of a pleasant greeting to whoever comes by.

Last edited:

Scott C.

Just one guy
I get more LDS than JW, but I generally invite them in if I am not too busy with other things.

Then I grill them about each and every statement they make. I bring in history that, I am sure, they don't know because it isn't told to them. I bring in philosophy that they don't know because it is never mentioned to them.

Usually, they don't come back.

I served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints many years ago. We knocked a lot of doors but were also taught that it's the least effective way to find people to teach. We wanted to find people who wanted to be found, who were looking and curious and interested in learning about our church. A good way was when fellow Church members introduced us to their friends, with whom they had already discussed the church, and they now wanted to see the missionaries. The friends would then join in on the lessons. A pretty good sign that someone is not interested is if they a) slam the door or b) let you in as if they are interested, and then bombard you with negative stuff and want an argument. We kind of had to decide, do we want to try to defend our beliefs point by point, or should we just politely move on.

stvdv

When I go to a friend's house and I see a sign for "No Solictors, bla, bla, bla", I think to myself, "Why the hostility towards people trying to make a living, preach, or whatever?" I'm a fan of a pleasant greeting to whoever comes to my door.
When I see a sign "No solicitors", I think to myself ... "Previous Solicitors must have behaved really bad, that the man felt the need to put up a sign"

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I haven't really had bad experiences in my life with unwanted people knocking on my door. When I go to a friend's house and I see a sign for "No Solictors, bla, bla, bla", I think to myself, "Why the hostility towards people trying to make a living, preach, or whatever?" I'm a fan of a pleasant greeting to whoever comes to my door.
Some people (many people I'd say) don't like having strangers come to their homes uninvited to try and get them to change their personal religious beliefs.

I'm surprised that's a difficult concept for some folks to grasp.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Out of curiosity: do you really think that killing kids isn't evil?

Penguin, why do you persist with this pernicious lie?

I have shown you repeatedly that the medical profession themselves are now aware that blood transfusions are NOT the “life saving” treatment that they were once thought to be.

I linked to a video put up on the Australian Government website indicating that blood transfusions were more dangerous than they ever imagined and that clinicians had to change their entrenched attitudes...urgently.

Watch it again....
For Media | National Blood Authority

Bloodless medicine is now spreading all over the world because transfusion is NOT best practice, and those who cling to it and promote it are the real ‘child killers’.

You don’t seem to realise that blood is a multi million dollar business....you think that they are going to let go of that cash cow? Listen to the physicians on that video from around the world who are experts in their field.....listen for the words “morbidity” and “mortality” and if you know what those words mean, ask yourself if you would want such a treatment for yourself or your children.

Your comments are pure ignorance.

Last edited:

stvdv

Some people (many people I'd say) don't like having strangers come to their homes uninvited to try and get them to change their personal religious beliefs.

I'm surprised that's a difficult concept for some folks to grasp.
Yes, it's amazing that mr. KnowAll expects the other to be delighted when mr. KnowAll belittles the other's personal religious beliefs/feelings
Especially when it is done by adding a free "one way ticket to Hell" in case the person does not give up his beliefs/feelings

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I heard an interesting theory recently, that this sort of "cold call evangelism" isn't really about trying to gain converts (how many people are actually converted by door knockers? Seriously, what's the success rate?), it's actually far more about creating group unity within the religion, and otherising outsiders. People get sent out on their missions, face hardships among the outgroup who general ignore or ridicule them, then return to the ingroup who praise them. It's a pretty good way to make you stick to your ingroup and avoid the outgroup, with all that entails.

Whether this is a conscious plan of any religion's leaders, or if it's just a useful aspect of doing what they think they're called to do, I don't know. Makes sense as a theory, though.
Well, there's an average of 5,000 people every week becoming baptized Jehovah's Witnesses. And the vast majority were found in the door-to-door work. Of course, a lot of time is spent looking for these ones.

We don't give up....in any country. Seems like in whichever country we experience outright persecution, currently in Russia, Eritrea, etc., those areas are where we experience the most growth.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I reach my hand through the crack of the door, take their pamphlet, say "thank you", and go straight to the recycling bin.
I politely explain that I'm a confirmed heathen, & refuse their pamphlet.
(I don't want to trash it...that would be wasteful.)
They cheerfully accept this.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS

We have these displayed in a much larger version on each side of our driveway. Gorgeous roses are under the sign so as to insure the roses catch the attention first. We have on on our back and front doors also.

stvdv

I am fine with whatever others believe
I am not fine if they belittle other's belief
And I will explain to them the difference

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I politely explain that I'm a confirmed heathen, & refuse their pamphlet.
(I don't want to trash it...that would be wasteful.)
They cheerfully accept this.
Huh. The times I've seen someone say anything like "I'm a heathen", it only seems to pique the interest of the door-to-door religious salespeople.

Oh, and I recycle their pamphlets, unless it's winter and then I use them to start the fireplace. ;)