• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When a religious teaching say something.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Thats just Americans. You have a poll of just christians?

Considering America is a majority Christian county its a good indecator.

And America is at the moment the county in which Christian is riding roughshod over established law i think it's a good example.

Truth in love

Often one can hear that people critique religion because "the religion force it's law upon others"

But honestly, doesn't the religious law's or guidelines only apply for those who follow said religion?

Are we doing wrong when trying to apply the law of the religion upon people from different religions or especially upon atheists?

Typically the beliefs of a religion only are applied to followers. However at times believers in a given idea often are really excited to see others forced to comply.

Some items like "Thou shalt not kill" are pretty popular among Jews, Christian and atheists. Many other items are not.

We used to have a lot of "blue laws" in the US. These enforced some level of behavior on Sundays. Shops closed bars closed etc. I was visiting Utah several years back and was shopping kind of late on a Saturday. A PA message cam on reminding everyone that they had a few min to buy alcohol as it could not be sold after midnight. (Not sure it that is still a think or if that was state or local law).

Today we have efforts to impose various beliefs on others through government. Some without the honesty to call it belief.

Forced charity (welfare)
Forced adherence to a code of fair conduct (non discrimination)
Forced compliance with the belief that exhaling is destroying the world (Green laws) .

Teaching that fruit juice is healthier than soda is great. Taxing soda's extra or banning them is the use of force based on a belief.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Often one can hear that people critique religion because "the religion force it's law upon others"

But honestly, doesn't the religious law's or guidelines only apply for those who follow said religion?
Sounds like you're yearning for secularism.

Are we doing wrong when trying to apply the law of the religion upon people from different religions or especially upon atheists?
I'd go one step further and say that we do wrong when we try to apply the "law" of a religion to anyone else.

If you personally feel like your conscience requires you to follow some religion's code of behaviour, fine - go ahead.

... but if we're going to act as if religion is more than just a social club, then we should recognize that there's a problem with the idea of the religious threats that are underneath "trying to apply the law of religion" even on your fellow adherents.

I mean, if the threat of excommunication/shunning/whatever is on the table, and in the tenets of the religion, excommunication would lead to a fate worse than death, then you're effectively holding a gun to the head of the person you're trying to "correct."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sounds like you're yearning for secularism.

I'd go one step further and say that we do wrong when we try to apply the "law" of a religion to anyone else.

If you personally feel like your conscience requires you to follow some religion's code of behaviour, fine - go ahead.

... but if we're going to act as if religion is more than just a social club, then we should recognize that there's a problem with the idea of the religious threats that are underneath "trying to apply the law of religion" even on your fellow adherents.

I mean, if the threat of excommunication/shunning/whatever is on the table, and in the tenets of the religion, excommunication would lead to a fate worse than death, then you're effectively holding a gun to the head of the person you're trying to "correct."
WOW...Just WOW

Thats all i have to say

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

In theory, yes. But in fact the NT actively encourages its followers to proselytize, and when in politics to enact religious rules as laws. The corrupting influence of religion on public life was seen very recently in Dobbs v Jackson (overturning Doe v Wade) on whether the state or the woman is in charge of her own fertility.
Yes, too often absolute and unconditional wrong. I oppose right-wing religion's intolerance of their fellow humans who are LGBTQ, for example, The Golden Rule of morality is, Do no harm. It's not Discriminate, hate and exclude.

Audie

Veteran Member
In theory, yes. But in fact the NT actively encourages its followers to proselytize, and when in politics to enact religious rules as laws. The corrupting influence of religion on public life was seen very recently in Dobbs v Jackson (overturning Doe v Wade) on whether the state or the woman is in charge of her own fertility.
Yes, too often absolute and unconditional wrong. I oppose right-wing religion's intolerance of their fellow humans who are LGBTQ, for example, The Golden Rule of morality is, Do no harm. It's not Discriminate, hate and exclude.
How could anyone even ask

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Religious laws are only for those who believe. Others should be left free to go their own way.