• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Your Totem?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
About a dozen years ago, I was asked by an Amerindian (Cherokee) what my totem is, and she stumped me because, even though three of my four grandparents were Me'tis (mixed European and Amerindian ancestry), I was not raise in "the tradition of the elders", so I didn't know what she was looking for. She then asked me if there was any particular animal that I strongly related to, and I said none in particular. She then asked me whether I had visions or dreams about any one particular animal, and then it clicked: I had one reoccurring dream, not only during my childhood, but for many years afterward, that I must have had thousands of times.

Yep, it's my avatar, and my wife says that it's very much quite applicable for me. I wonder what she means by that?

Anyhow, what's your totem?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Owls seem to find me. Not only in dreams but IRL. Here's one that was watching me through my kitchen window...

390431_300825759950920_1797204395_n.jpg

metis

In her subtle way she is letting you know that you need to bathe more than once a month.
I don't think she was likely referring to my whole body but just one part of it that she says relates to "exhaust fumes", or something like that.

OK, so what's your totem? A fuzzy googly-eyed rabbi doesn't count.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
She then asked me if there was any particular animal that I strongly related to, and I said none in particular. She then asked me whether I had visions or dreams about any one particular animal, and then it clicked: I had one reoccurring dream, not only during my childhood, but for many years afterward, that I must have had thousands of times.

Yep, it's my avatar.........

Another proof you are meant to be a Jew. Your avatar is a cartoon character from a studio (Warner Brothers) that was founded by Jews, not some Mickey Mouse character from a studio started by a non-Jew.

metis

Another proof you are meant to be a Jew. Your avatar is a cartoon character from a studio (Warner Brothers) that was founded by Jews, not some Mickey Mouse character from a studio started by a non-Jew.
And I like discounts.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Seriously, I don't have a totem. If I did, however, for reasons that are private and relate to an experience I had a number of years ago, it would be a tree. (And no, it has nothing to do with my wooden delivery of my sermons.)

metis

If I did, however, for reasons that are private and relate to an experience I had a number of years ago, it would be a tree. (And no, it has nothing to do with my wooden delivery of my sermons.)
Is it because your bark is worse than your bite? or that you're the root of all evil? or because you won't leaf people alone?

Please clarify.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
By this avatar standard I am a suicidal charedi bloke. Hmmmm.

Actually yeah. Yeah that works.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No doubt influenced by having 2 golden retrievers and one golden mix in my background, I'd have to say golden retriever. But what it might have been had I not be happily owned by these dogs, who knows?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
About a dozen years ago, I was asked by an Amerindian (Cherokee) what my totem is, and she stumped me because, even though three of my four grandparents were Me'tis (mixed European and Amerindian ancestry), I was not raise in "the tradition of the elders", so I didn't know what she was looking for. She then asked me if there was any particular animal that I strongly related to, and I said none in particular. She then asked me whether I had visions or dreams about any one particular animal, and then it clicked: I had one reoccurring dream, not only during my childhood, but for many years afterward, that I must have had thousands of times.

Yep, it's my avatar, and my wife says that it's very much quite applicable for me. I wonder what she means by that?

Bear, when I believe in this kind of thing. I had a dream of a bear guiding me.

My grandmother told me I was part native american. Cherokee in fact.

So I had my DNA done and found it was true, 0.9% Native American...

99.1% european and 0.9% native American.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

I don't have any animal to call my own, but I do often feel like this when reading posts on RF.
spectral-tarsier.jpg

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Is it because your bark is worse than your bite? or that you're the root of all evil? or because you won't leaf people alone?

Please clarify.

A shiver went down the back of the very old retired anthropologist. He knew he had gone too far. He not only knew the rabbi's reputation as a quipster and a punster, but he had witnessed the rabbi's skill more times than he could count (which was not very high, remember he was very old) over the years of their acquaintance. Metis wet his..... He knew it was only a matter of time before the rabbi struck. His only hope was that the rabbi, busy preparing for his 70th birthday which fell on Erev Shabbat, would have no time before then to strike. Furthermore he hoped that the rabbi would carry the peace of Shabbat into the new week and deal with him with mercy.

Last edited:

metis

A shiver went down the back of the very old retired anthropologist. He knew he had gone too far. He not only knew the rabbi's reputation as a quipster and a punster, but he had witnessed the rabbi's skill more times than he could count (which was not very high, remember he was very old) over the years of their acquaintance. Metis wet his..... He knew it was only a matter of time before the rabbi struck. His only hope was that the rabbi, busy preparing for his 70th birthday which fell on Erev Shabbat, would have no time before then to strike. Furthermore he hoped that the rabbi would carry the peace of Shabbat into the new week and deal with him with mercy.
Well, you're still not reaching my level of "maturity" no matter how hard you try.

BTW, if you're having a birthday cake for your celebration, maybe call the fire department first.

Happy Birthday, my friend and rabbi.

Now back to treating you like dirt, which you're almost as old as.:p

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't dream about animals unless they are chasing me, fighting me or biting me. I'd need more information to figure out what my totem would be. Maybe it would be a little white bird for reasons unspoken.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Can we use our Patronus as a substitute for totems?

If so, mine is a White Mare.